advertisement

How critical is a mains cable to ensuring system performance?

Why not dedicate a couple of pages each month to a little section featuring a couple of reviews or features on headphones/headphone amps/DACs/mobile device? It must be pretty easy to get a couple of interesting bits of headphone related kit each month at different cost levels.

We already do just that.

Add more pages and cover more kit.
Bung another £1 on the cover price. Nobody will complain too much.

We stripped out almost everything that wasn't a review and review 12/13 products a month now.

There's a big psychological barrier at £5 for a magazine. You lose a lot of readers between £4.99 and £5.01; so many you would be better pricing the magazine at £12 an issue. The numbers go through the floor, but at least you get to pay for the high-end photos!

Count me in. That Acuity story is an old hobby of mine. FYI I am thoroughly unimpressed/amused by the lack of quality in presentation and in content.

But then, that's what happens when one needs an outside contractor to
re-invent difference testing, and then another few months to see that
correct signal reconstruction and time alignment are not optional ;-)
Great; will probably start a new topic on this, but it will be a couple of days before I get round to it.

Difficult to believe that this subject is being discussed for the 94th time this year.

Yes, the last metre of mains cabling makes a massive difference, and particularly so if it's connected to a 240v AC -> 12v DC power supply/transformer. Obvious, innit?

I think there was some new light shed on the subject this time.

It's hard to say with certainty, though. Has anyone actually read it? Are there any graphs or exciting graphics?

No, it's the same old "I can hear it", "no you can't" stuff. If there was anything there, you can bet your bottom dollar there would be graphs, but no graphs are to be had anywhere on the internets.

Great God in boots, the mains cable argument is sound! As they say.

I'm wary of anything that requires such a monumental sales effort; especially when the manufacturers seem to be aiming their products at moneyed, insecure fiddlers.

I haven't seen too many ricockulous power cables in the pro audio industry, the IT industry, or in fact any other industry... Hmmm, I wonder why.

Possibly because the only science behind this johnsense, is the L. Ron Hubbard variety.

You need to be measuring the effects of any RFI on the output of whatever is being driven

Which is what Paul Miller did in the early 90s, albeit not from mains cables. It gave interesting results, but industry did not pick this up, and even Miller stopped doing these tests after just a few years.

I'm wary of anything that requires such a monumental sales effort; especially when the manufacturers seem to be aiming their products at moneyed, insecure fiddlers.

I haven't seen too many ricockulous power cables in the pro audio industry, the IT industry, or in fact any other industry... Hmmm, I wonder why.

Possibly because the only science behind this johnsense, is the L. Ron Hubbard variety.

Yep. nail head, etc. :) you know, for the class clown, you make some intelligent statements occasionally.

There is too much theory on this thread and not enough evaluation.

How can one evaluate on a thread?

In the world beyond this thread there has been more than enough "evaluations" to balance the theory.

Has anyone run a bake off to share their experiences with non believers. Not seeing posts from persons who said "I visited XY and heard his/their kit swaping mains cables and the difference was night and day I don't know why I havent noticed it before". Not seen one like this yet.

Aside: Steve were you into mains matters before your thought processes where totally fused with your old partner's?

Post #434 reported.

Thank you for the advisory.

Meanwhile what about all these bake offs and people seeing/hearing the light that we can consider.

Compare mains cable quietness with the Tellurium Q experience - people heard something different and bought. I may have missed the Mains equivalent.

advertisement

Back