advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright Sebbyp, thought I'd seen you on this thread before.

I suspected that may be the way to do it, just need to remember to turn it down for AV as I pre-out from an AVR for L/R channels.

I've actually got a pair of attenuators coming on laon from the maker of Goldenjacks so no need, Iain the maker has been most helpful.

Yeah just drop me a PM regarding the amp anytime and I'll sort that for you. It may struggle with your speakers at 87 and as you said power hungy but just a bit of fun anyway. If you've got anything 90+ would be worth trying to hear it at it's best.

Sorry going a bit off topid there - looking forward to trying both the DAC and pre in my system as well as without the pre to see how I get on.

Been mega busy at work - will reply to your message on the other forum soon. If you are happy to post the amp - I would be interested in doing that. I can post you the attenuators tomorrow to try out.

What attenuators have you got Sebby? i cant help but feel my Dac works best at -30 and down, i dont get any noise at the lower settings though (speakers (84db), so maybe im just imagining it because its playing louder!

Need to verify with John W whether he would supply the MITX without the m-itx mobo. Plus if any std mini tx form board will fit or if there is anything bespoke about how it will all fit together with his choice of mobo?. Not sure if final designs are in place as its not due for a while.

John if your listening - would it be possible for me to implement my own m-itx board or are you planning to supply them pre-fitted ? is there a choice here

Cheers .

Hi Phil,

No problem to supply the Clocked Locked USB card for your home build once its available,

John

Any updates on the lakewest software update guys/gals?

I understand that the Audiolab release version was ready yesterday as we have just programmed the next production batch using it - so I hope there are no Bugs...

I'll get a copy from Dom and post here.

John

I've been waiting for a replacement to the defective Silver MDAC which I received in December and have now been told (in writing) by my UK dealer that, having made enquires with the distributer, the manufacturer is having supply difficulties with the silver version.

They are quoting a minimum date of June however that is in itself not a definite timescale!

If this goes on, and what my dealer told me is true, I may be able to get a BDAC (or the future CDQ MkII) before this is resolved. If you have a Silver MDAC, you may have a collectible in your hands ;)

Do you still not have an MDAC - where are you located?

I think it's more to do with the fact you're only 3 posts in and you're brusquely criticising John's experience/talent - sounds like you have some axe to grind to me...

I totally agree - from the style of arguments and the level of negativity directed towards me I believe I know who the poster is...

But I'm happy as he wished me luck with the MAMP design, and it really felt genuine - did it not? ;)

Forgive me if I don't bother to waste anymore time replying to this subject, life's too short...

I guess we are all keen to hear from Joe (if hes not been scared off), on any improvements in sound quality or if the life threatening 300mV (that's 0.3V!!!) thumps on power-on / off which settle to under 20mV within 250mS!! are too scary to live with...

I cannot understand the argument that anyone would forgo a worthwhile improvement in sound quality - over the risk of tiny power on/off thumps... if anyone is worryed about low level power on/off thumps then DO NOT buy any of my designs - I'll ALWAYS go for better Sound quality over minor pointless issues, IMHO...

No, no, no ,no....

The BDAC will be totally different class product... for its a B-Class Product :D !

OLED display, Remote control, Balanced outputs, AV Bypass, Digital Pre-amplifier with "stepped" -24dB Analogue attenuation... Just to name a FEW of its features :)

Hope it sounds good ;) ...

John

I understand that the Audiolab release version was ready yesterday as we have just programmed the next production batch using it - so I hope there are no Bugs...

John

John

That's a great news. BTW, how about the Lakewest version ? When is it going to be ready?

Thanks

Harry

Is it not good practice to switch the amps/poweramps/active speakers on last and off first anyway?

Don't understand why anyone would want to power-up the source last, especially if it has a volume control, powering up source last almost seems as silly as locking a magic unicorn in a "Crystal" tower. ;)

Is it not good practice to switch the amps/poweramps/active speakers on last and off first anyway?

Don't understand why anyone would want to power-up the source last, especially if it has a volume control, powering up source last almost seems as silly as locking a magic unicorn in a "Crystal" tower. ;)

Exactly! - but then there would be nothing to argue and be critical about...

No point...

I guess the terrifying 0.3V power-on thump might shatter the crystal tower and release the magical Unicorn :) - Freedom at last !

Tell you what, lets NOT improve the SQ so the dear magical Unicorn remains imprisoned forever due to fear !

John

Amazing news, when you post it up here please can you post up a dummies guide to installing it onto the MDAC?

I'm about to set my system up for it's first play with the SBT and in my new house on the weekend so it'd be nice to have it udated to the SBT doesn't keep dropping out :)

Regards,
James

Do you still not have an MDAC - where are you located?

Hi John, I'm in central London (UK) ...

I must say that I was quite surprised to read IAG is having problem with Silver MDACs, and that they expect this situation to last for a couple more months at least! I hope the MPAX won't face the same issue!

EIffel,

Do you currently still have your MDAC - or did you send it back for repair?

What was the issue?

We have our own factory in China :) I should say our very own production line / building and workers with a partner - we will manufacture the MPAX over selves and BDAC etc.

First and second production batch's have been fully pre-ordered, so "Sold out" unless some pre-orders drop out.

Hi John, is there any chance to post the link to the new fw this we?
WE is optimal for testng it...

EIffel,

Do you currently still have your MDAC - or did you send it back for repair?

What was the issue?

We have our own factory in China :) I should say our very own production line / building and workers with a partner - we will manufacture the MPAX over selves and BDAC etc.

First and second production batch's have been fully pre-ordered, so "Sold out" unless some pre-orders drop out.

I returned the unit to the dealer in December, as one of the output channels died after a couple of days (you had diagnosed a relay as the likely culprit at the time, as the headphone out was still working properly).

Great to read that you have your own factory... as this means that my pre-ordered MPAX won't suffer from IAG's issues... if you decide to go ahead and if the BDAC doesn't own the MDAC :D

No, no, no ,no....

The BDAC will be totally different class product... for its a B-Class Product :D !

OLED display, Remote control, Balanced outputs, AV Bypass, Digital Pre-amplifier with "stepped" -24dB Analogue attenuation... Just to name a FEW of its features :)

John

How are you doing it at the cost your proposing! I suppose that will be my second system!

What attenuators have you got Sebby? i cant help but feel my Dac works best at -30 and down, i dont get any noise at the lower settings though (speakers (84db), so maybe im just imagining it because its playing louder!

I have waaaaay too much gain in my system.

When unbalanced my listening level was around -40 to -35.. So I bought a pair of attenuators that could slide between -10, -15 and -20 attenuation to test what suited me before I bought some Rothwells.. They turned out to be so good and so much cheaper, I didn't bother with the extra expense.

On balanced my listening volume is around -50! Everything sound's a lot better balanced. So I bought a pair of -20 attenuators of ebay!

No, no, no ,no....

John

Lo John, You sound keen on this new offspring :)

Any idea of shop floor time?

I don't actually need any 'till xmas but I'm going to buy myself one too so sooner the better.

I returned the unit to the dealer in December, as one of the output channels died after a couple of days (you had diagnosed a relay as the likely culprit at the time, as the headphone out was still working properly).

Great to read that you have your own factory... as this means that my pre-ordered MPAX won't suffer from IAG's issues... if you decide to go ahead and if the BDAC doesn't own the MDAC :D

PM me your address, I'll arrange something temporary for you,

Sorry, I had no idea you still had no unit!!!

John

How are you doing it at the cost your proposing! I suppose that will be my second system!

For starters we will be manufacturing it, so we have better cost controls, and the prospective company has significantly lower margins then IAG...

We will still be unsure of the final price until I complete design,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back