advertisement

The mains cable poll

Have you experimented or heard a demonstration of different mains cables?

• Yes and they made no difference and I therefore believe that they make no difference as expected.

Votes: 30 13.4%
  • Yes and they made no difference but I remain open-minded on this.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • No but I know for certain that changing a mains cable could not possibly make a difference.

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • Yes and I have heard differences.

Votes: 141 62.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The warp and the weft are out of kilter; things fall apart, the centre cannot hold.

Which one does he write for? If it's HiFi World, that's the dullest thing I've ever read, apart from 'The Man Without Qualities' by Robert Musil.

mr price has jumped ship..... he's at choice now....funny because it looks like lots of advertisers jumped ship at the same time.....

He is the prime exponent of off the pace. He also says charismatic a lot. He's charismatically off the pace himself.

I never look at Choice these days. I liked it better when it was in book format, even if their recommendations were often wrong-headed.

Bub,

Why don't you borrow a Powerline from your dealer, try it and take it back or keep it?

Shouldn't be that difficult in this modern age of cars and Fed-X.

Too lazy; zero expected value; better things to do.

Hi-fi finished years ago.

I buy HFN and HFW frequently, I know it's very wrong but I am a(n) habitualist. I only buy Choice if I've done the other two and am desperate for a hit. Mostly I speed read it in WH Smith. It is a format that lends itself to a sneaky peek without handing over the readies. God help them.

Hilarious, Christian by your own admission the differences between cables are smaller than the differences with the same cable before and after switching the unit off. Do you not see how utterly pointless any testing is under that regime, it can show nothing when your experimental error is larger than your standard deviation.

Too lazy; zero expected value; better things to do.

Hi-fi finished years ago.

Fair enough. Personally, I have a problem forking over 800 bucks for a piece of wire with two connectors regardless of what it may or may not do for my hifi. I want resistors, capacitors, diodes and knobs for this kind of cash.

Fair enough. Personally, I have a problem forking over 800 bucks for a piece of wire with two connectors regardless of what it may or may not do for my hifi. I want resistors, capacitors, diodes and knobs for this kind of cash.

Holey-moley 800!? No way Jose. If that's really what Naim are charging, it's scandalous.

i just want more music to listen too.....i'm after some more gaia cuatro stuff at the moment....

my new hot jazz band of choice....

Bub- I may be off by a hundred bucks or so but it's still out of the question for me for a bit of wire.

I don't begrudge them considering the labour involved and recovering EU approval costs, I'm just not going to pay that kind of money for a bit of wire.

i just want more music to listen too.....i'm after some more gaia cuatro stuff at the moment....

my new hot jazz band of choice....

Understood sir...the Powerline might fit the bill for you compared to spending the same money elsewhere. It simply won't for me. I'd rather invest the funds towards a 52.

Powerline US retail as of Feb 2010 (my newest price list): $725 dollars US

I'd need four (and forgetting the fifth for my currently dead NAT 101 which needs a new tuner head.)

Ain't gonna happen.

i'm deffo not buying the powerlines, i'm borrowing them from someone who has four of them....but he even has a naim shop display light in his music den....i used to own a 52 combo, nice pre amp but then i jumped ship....

Hilarious, Christian by your own admission the differences between cables are smaller than the differences with the same cable before and after switching the unit off. Do you not see how utterly pointless any testing is under that regime, it can show nothing when your experimental error is larger than your standard deviation.

Yes Simon, but that's rather stating the obvious and bashing me over the head with it. Anyway, I'm just giving you my results as plainly as I can and as frankly as possible. Maybe a larger amp with more thermal mass could bring the consistency needed and a lower TC load as well. Anyway, as you can see from the graphs consistency was pretty good towards the end. In fact there were about 8 or 9 measurements on that graph, all overlaying one another, and I took about 4 away to leave a colour that would show up when printed.

Incidentally, I don't think the switching off of the amp had much to do with it. It was more about finding an equilibrium on the heatsink temperature. At high level the heatsink was just getting hotter and hotter because sine waves are not music. Dropping that to something where the heat going in could be dissipated meant a stable temperature. The other thing was the level switches inside the AP and if one was on a borderline it meant two measurements might go through two different paths. The only thing the switching on and off (which anyway wasn't done at the switch but just by pulling the plug was the discharge of the big cap. That has a time constant of about 4s so wouldn't have discharged much on changeover (1 to 2s) and would anyway be back fairly quickly.

Christian

darryl -I've been dead set on a 52 for years (never found anything I liked better.) Unfortunately, other expenses just seem to come first. No big whoop as my 102 works perfectly fine.

I've thought about tapping into savings or selling off an investment and just doing what needs to be done (a used Six Pack) but then common sense and the price tags bring me back to reality;-)

I agree with you on the 52. It takes up where the 32 left off and gives you another complete and rounded product that you don't want to change. For some reason I don't think any of the others in between quite do the same thing. Not heard a 552 except at Naim so I can't say if it does the same thing. Having said that I also liked the 282 which was very capable and sophisticated. But there is something about the 32 that I particularly like, not that I have one any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back