advertisement

The mains cable poll

Have you experimented or heard a demonstration of different mains cables?

• Yes and they made no difference and I therefore believe that they make no difference as expected.

Votes: 30 13.4%
  • Yes and they made no difference but I remain open-minded on this.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • No but I know for certain that changing a mains cable could not possibly make a difference.

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • Yes and I have heard differences.

Votes: 141 62.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
darryl -I've been dead set on a 52 for years (never found anything I liked better.) Unfortunately, other expenses just seem to come first. No big whoop as my 102 works perfectly fine.

I've thought about tapping into savings or selling off an investment and just doing what needs to be done (a used Six Pack) but then common sense and the price tags bring me back to reality;-)

Do it davey baby!! Do it!

You only live two or three times.

Understood sir...the Powerline might fit the bill for you compared to spending the same money elsewhere. It simply won't for me. I'd rather invest the funds towards a 52.

dave, just do it. The 52 is a great preamp, and they must be going down in price, I'd guess, since it's no longer the latest and greatest.

How do you work that out? This thread 11000+ views, there is no way of distinguishing individual users from the 'views' figure. Suggest you are reading too much from too little.

For a v popular thread I would expect well over 20 views per individual. For a minority thread then 500 views might only be 2 per person interested. For 1500 views it might be 3 or 4 per person interested. Many regular visitors will check out a substantial proportion of threads just once. Run the figures and you come out with significantly less than 500 active participants.

Nic P

PS I am a Numerical Analyst by training.

For a v popular thread I would expect well over 20 views per individual. For a minority thread then 500 views might only be 2 per person interested. For 1500 views it might be 3 or 4 per person interested. Many regular visitors will check out a substantial proportion of threads just once. Run the figures and you come out with significantly less than 500 active participants.

Nic P

PS I am a Numerical Analyst by training.

Thanks for your thinking. Im a pragmatist. If Tony gets 1500 per day your figure seems very low for the Audio room of a hifi forum. Where do they all go?

You never know, it may happen sooner than I think;-)

get the 52 dave you know you would be totally contented by it....i only sold mine on when i started using some very expensive efficient speakers and the naim combo was just to noisy hiss wise and it just didn't cut the mustard with my better source and speakers.....

my 3 fave naim products ever are the aro, the 52 and the 250.....

never liked their cd players as i had found accuphase and pink triangle da capo and stuff plus the early studio dacs....

Christian, I applaud your mettle in performing the test, I was just stating the bleeding obvious before the collected muppetry start pointing at it as a result.

christian i too applaud you for actually bothering to do something positive and you also have answered questions in the spirit they were asked...good on you.

i voted for........oh the phones ringing.....;)

darryl - several years ago I "babysat" one for a friend for a whole month while he was on vacation and it killed me to give it back.

It's not just forking over the amount of cash but the fact that I'd want to source a used one from someone I know considering the dollars involved. I'd hate to spend thousands on a bodged one that could cost thousands more to restore to factory standards.

at the time it came out i thought it was the biggest upgrade in the sound of a naim system i'd heard....a really big albeit expensive upgrade on the 72 or 32.5.....

my name went on our shop's waiting list....

even another well known amp designer at the time said his company would struggle to produce such a good piece of amplification....

Thanks for your thinking. Im a pragmatist. If Tony gets 1500 per day your figure seems very low for the Audio room of a hifi forum. Where do they all go?

I don't of course know exactly what Tony is in fact measuring, or if the system is actually giving him the figures that he thinks they say he is getting (I have had similar problems reading the weblogs from my web site provider). If the figures are exactly what the system says then (for example) it might be that the classifieds are a big factor. Also many of the other rooms in PFM obviously get a lot of traffic. If however the figures for views are accurate (which again might be the system giving duff info) then I believe my analysis is likely to be fairly accurate.

Nic P

I'll get one at some point when the time is right;-)

I was/am a huge 52 fan .,, however I found the TEAD Vibe did everything it did, but more as well, for a fraction of the price in the UK. Are Vibes available s/h in the US? I ran a Vibe into 250s for many years in both my systems before moving first to valves and now the obsolete Hovland Radia(s).

Nic P

Not sure about the Vibe's availablity here in the states, Nic.

My problem is the nearest dealership of any kind is now two hours away by car. Like bub, I'm no longer motivated enough to spend the time, energy or money on hunting down and trying unknown gear.

If I found a deal on a used 52 here in the US, I'd have the seller ship it to my repair shop for evaluation immediately after purchase and then to me if it got a clean bill of health. Since I know what a properly working, just re-capped 52 sounds like in my rig it would be a no-brainer.

regards,

dave

I don't of course know exactly what Tony is in fact measuring, or if the system is actually giving him the figures that he thinks they say he is getting (I have had similar problems reading the weblogs from my web site provider). If the figures are exactly what the system says then (for example) it might be that the classifieds are a big factor. Also many of the other rooms in PFM obviously get a lot of traffic. If however the figures for views are accurate (which again might be the system giving duff info) then I believe my analysis is likely to be fairly accurate.

Nic P
So you're right and all else is wrong, fair enough.

O fount of all knowledge, can you tell me who will win the 17:30 at Kempton this week? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back