advertisement

The mains cable poll

Have you experimented or heard a demonstration of different mains cables?

• Yes and they made no difference and I therefore believe that they make no difference as expected.

Votes: 30 13.4%
  • Yes and they made no difference but I remain open-minded on this.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • No but I know for certain that changing a mains cable could not possibly make a difference.

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • Yes and I have heard differences.

Votes: 141 62.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... where have we arrived at after all this?
The electronic textbooks have not had to be re-written...
Some still think they hear a difference...
Some don't...
Hmmmm... I'm outta here folks :)
See you all on different threads. It's been fun though ;)

I think the answer to this one was that a) oxidisation would be minimal and b) removing and re-inserting plugs (as is recommended) would remove the oxidisation.

the question was more does oxidisation have an effect, so the question is still open.

No, I can't drill down any further than simple numbers of members that logged on to the site.

Looking at the number of views of the threads, I would think that there are significantly less than 500 active members of the audio room. This makes 200+ poll respondents pretty impressive.

Nic P

Looking at the number of views of the threads, I would think that there are significantly less than 500 active members of the audio room. This makes 200+ poll respondents pretty impressive.

Nic P

How do you work that out? This thread 11000+ views, there is no way of distinguishing individual users from the 'views' figure. Suggest you are reading too much from too little.

Steven doesn't do as he's told, especially not when the instruction is delivered like a cup of cappucino. By froth I mean foaming at the mouth, enraged.

I couldn't see any rage Steven. But I dutifully checked again,do you mean this?

''If I felt bullied I wouldn't post here. Making me the butt of the, er, rebuttal as you call it in such a sneering and condescending fashion, although I acknowledge that you are by no means the worst for that, is clearly pour encourager les autres as you freely admit.''

Does this mean I can now vote "C" with a clear conscience?

Well that becomes a philosophical question, doesn't it? If I hadn't spent so much time on this when I should have been doing other things, I would have taken the regulator off, had a look at the choice of filtering on the AP, tried to iron out some of the variables in the measurements and had a look at what sort of result might be considered significant.

The traces being so close is a pretty good indicator of nothing changing but it is not proof of it. Also I have had a 330kW mains supply all to myself over the weekend with an earth that I presume isn't more than 150ft away. (This used to be a chimney factory with all sorts of high power welding and huge 20 ton cranes and so on, so they needed their own supply.) Oddly enough, at home, being out in the back woods, we share a substation with just one other house as well so in both places have very low impedance mains supplies.

When I first tried this cable, it would have been with 40 other people in the building and with lathes, mills and compressors running. I wasn't alone either, and we both were absolutely sure we heard a difference. And not an insignificant one either. Nor would I expect Roy George or Paul S or Doug Graham to make a mistake on this. Bear in mind also that I started out a sceptic as well.

By nature I don't go in for changes that are at or near the subliminal level - like which way round your belt or mat is on an LP12 - so the difference would have been significantly above that threshold.

You put down what you think, that's what the poll is for. I still think there is something going on, though I'm less confident of what it is than I was. There is probably more than one thing going on in any case. We've got the change in plain resistance, the greater twisting of the cable, the closer proximity of the conductors changing the Z of the cable so if you looked at the mains as a signal generator then you would certainly expect what is at the plug end of one cable to be different to the other. Whether that has an effect on what comes out of the amp is another question and the preliminary finding appears to be that it doesn't.

CT

Bub,

Why don't you borrow a Powerline from your dealer, try it and take it back or keep it?

Shouldn't be that difficult in this modern age of cars and Fed-X.

regards,

dave

Well that becomes a philosophical question, doesn't it? If I hadn't spent so much time on this when I should have been doing other things, I would have taken the regulator off, had a look at the choice of filtering on the AP, tried to iron out some of the variables in the measurements and had a look at what sort of result might be considered significant.

The traces being so close is a pretty good indicator of nothing changing but it is not proof of it. Also I have had a 330kW mains supply all to myself over the weekend with an earth that I presume isn't more than 150ft away. (This used to be a chimney factory with all sorts of high power welding and huge 20 ton cranes and so on, so they needed their own supply.) Oddly enough, at home, being out in the back woods, we share a substation with just one other house as well so in both places have very low impedance mains supplies.

When I first tried this cable, it would have been with 40 other people in the building and with lathes, mills and compressors running. I wasn't alone either, and we both were absolutely sure we heard a difference. And not an insignificant one either. Nor would I expect Roy George or Paul S or Doug Graham to make a mistake on this. Bear in mind also that I started out a sceptic as well.

By nature I don't go in for changes that are at or near the subliminal level - like which way round your belt or mat is on an LP12 - so the difference would have been significantly above that threshold.

You put down what you think, that's what the poll is for. I still think there is something going on, though I'm less confident of what it is than I was. There is probably more than one thing going on in any case. We've got the change in plain resistance, the greater twisting of the cable, the closer proximity of the conductors changing the Z of the cable so if you looked at the mains as a signal generator then you would certainly expect what is at the plug end of one cable to be different to the other. Whether that has an effect on what comes out of the amp is another question and the preliminary finding appears to be that it doesn't.

CT

LOL...I have complete confidence you will get through this. I have other tests waiting for you involving mains cables.

The correct response for Blzebub would be A, the red line as I remember him saying that he tried a Nordost cable.

The whole loom is off the pace and needs fettling. Joe, don't try speed reading David Price in WH Smith at Paddington, it never works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back