advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've given up and gone for a CDQ until MDAC supplies ease a bit.

For what it's worth, John, your interaction with the community is what got me interested in the MDAC in the first place, and your continued interaction is what's keeping me from swearing off Audiolab altogether :)

I'm sure IAG ARE loosing customers - dealers cannot afford to turn away a customer with his cash, and will try and sell what ever they have on hand..

I'd did my best to warn everyone that supplies would be limited.

It was extremely frustrating to work with IAG in China, expect for a select few - they are totally clueless... IAG could be a power house in the HiFi industry - they are the only ones holding themselves back...

There's no major QC issues - although I'm deeply concerned about "Quality fade" now that we are not on the production site acting as the counter balance to the daily cluelessness... We are still actively working with IAG UK to support our designs for IAG, although without direct access to the production line in China things can still slip past.

I will personally continue to support my (our) designs - together with IAG UK there's no need to worry about long term support..

In Dec / Jan IAG manufactured over 6K Pcs of MDAC and for our industry these are big numbers, but from what I understand this is only a drop in the ocean with backorders far outstripping production output such is the demand.

We did warned everyone but...

John

For what it's worth, John, your interaction with the community is what got me interested in the MDAC in the first place, and your continued interaction is what's keeping me from swearing off Audiolab altogether :)

Ditto :)

Hi LittleToast,

I use MediaConnect on the iPad, it seems to happily stream FLACs through my iPad. It also is seen by the iPad as an integrated media player. Hence, you can control it when the iPad is locked as if it was the built in Music app. I do have 8player, but not used it much yet. I shall have a go and compare them.

Ben

Hi Ben. What do you use to control the iPad?
I switched my wireless router from wireless G to wireless N and the sound from streaming from NAS improved and is nearly identical to playing the file in the iPad itself.

So the iPad works happily with the Mdac for now.

Hi John, could you advise on what impedance would be best suited for headphone use with the Mdac? I know nearly next to nothing about headphones but, from recent research i have found out that phones can come in versions as low as 32ohm and up to 600ohm, possibly more, for use with mixing desks. I'm on holiday with the family at the moment and thought i might treat myself in Singapore if there's a bargain to be had. I know i will be buying blind so will have to (try) and rely on reviews that are out there to select something that suits my listening style, comfort etc. Many thanks' in advance.
KR Steven.

p.s if anyone else has got advice it would be really appreciated.

Hi Steven,

The MDAC will drive 80ohm headphones.

I'm no expert on headphones - but making an educated guess I'd say lower impedance headphone will have a lighter coil within the motor assembly - and lower impedance results in better control of the diaphragm.

However lower impedance places greater stress upon the headphone amp.

MDAC with its CROSS class A output stage is OK driving low impedance loads - I test with 50 Ohm load - and at 50Ohms full level (2Vrms) the MDAC current limit starts to kick in - but you would never drive a 50 Ohm load to 2Vrms unless you where trying to kill your hearing....

I'd wish I could be more helpful, I'm not a headphone user...

JTC and others have comment in the past - they are your best bet :) Enjoy Singapore :)

That's a very kind offer Tim - I'd be tempted (if/when I get one!) if I knew the guarantee could be transferred.

No problem - I'll leave the offer open anyway if anyone needs it, but yes I can see the warranty being an issue. I've just sent the AIG helpdesk a quick email so see what they have to say - no harm in asking :)

No problem - I'll leave the offer open anyway if anyone needs it, but yes I can see the warranty being an issue. I've just sent the AIG helpdesk a quick email so see what they have to say - no harm in asking :)

Good luck getting a reply, still waiting for an answer to my email from about 4 weeks ago :eek:

Funnily enough emails regarding costs for failed replacement parts (with a known manufacturing defect) where replied to the next day :rolleyes:

For mdac hp out, it have no problem driving various HP. Important thing is pick a HP that have a sound signature you like. I use Senn hd600, hd800, T1, and lcd2 v2. I'm very impress with how the int hp amp drive the hd600. For lcd2 it drive it great but I still prefer lyr amp with philips SQ tube.

Hi John, could you advise on what impedance would be best suited for headphone use with the Mdac? I know nearly next to nothing about headphones but, from recent research i have found out that phones can come in versions as low as 32ohm and up to 600ohm, possibly more, for use with mixing desks. I'm on holiday with the family at the moment and thought i might treat myself in Singapore if there's a bargain to be had. I know i will be buying blind so will have to (try) and rely on reviews that are out there to select something that suits my listening style, comfort etc. Many thanks' in advance.
KR Steven.

p.s if anyone else has got advice it would be really appreciated.

Latest update on the issue of my Subwoofer causing USB playback to seize...

I ran an extension cable from the nearby house to my logcabin & i plugged the M-Dac into the extension lead, meaning the power supply for the M-Dac was isolated from my logcabins mains, and the sub still caused the USB playback to seize.
I also tried plugging the Subwoofer into the ext lead from the house (w/ M-Dac plugged into my logcabins mains) and it still caused to USB connection to seize

I think this is conclusive proof that it's not my mains causing the issue?

Hi Chronic.

Be very careful with taking the mains supply from your neighbour.
It's highly likely to be on a different phase to your house and as such there will be a potential of >400v between your supply and theirs.

Not a good thing if you have a suspect earthing arrangements to the Log Cabin.

Regards
Dave.

The ext lead was run from the house that my cabins mains are run off, it was just to test that when the M-Dac is plugged into a power source outside my cabin that the USB connection is still affected, thereby showing that its the M-Dac's USB connection being affected directly, ie not through the mains.
I don't see how plugging my M-Dac into another power source could hurt anything, its just as if i took it into the house & started using it in there?

I get that, and i appreciate it, im just a bit touchy on the issue ;)

To play devils advocate, say there was an earthing issue in my cabin (which there isn't as the mains have been tested)

Why should the M-Dac's USB connection be affected by it & nothing else in the cabin?
I have 3 external HD's plugged into my PC, USB wireless mouse & keyboard, various USB memory sticks & their USB connections have never dropped out once.

So even if i did have an earthing issue in my cabin, i don't see how this would this be an acceptable explanation of the M-Dac's USB connection seizing up as plenty of other USB sources work just fine?

I don't think that the earthing arrangements are affecting the Mdac and I didn't say that was the case.

It seems to me that it's more likely to be a slight voltage differential between the Mdac and your digital source grounds.

Didn't JohnW suggest this may be the case earlier on?
If so, have you tried a USB isolator as that should do the trick.

Dave.

I don't think that the earthing arrangements are affecting the Mdac and I didn't say that was the case.

Sorry didn't mean to give that impression, just for a while it was the consensus in this thread that its probably an earthing problem in my cabin & this seemed like it was an acceptable explanation, when in my opinion other USB devices have been working just fine for years so it wasn't an acceptable explanation. Still i tested the mains & they showed as fine, even then the seed was planted so i was still doubtful & just today thought to try plugging the M-Dac/Sub into the power from the house to see if there was any change.

It seems to me that it's more likely to be a slight voltage differential between the Mdac and your digital source grounds.

Didn't JohnW suggest this may be the case earlier on?
If so, have you tried a USB isolator as that should do the trick.

Dave.

Thanks for the suggestion but i am currently using a USB isolator, i also tested a laptop unplugged from the mains & it was the same situation.

JohnW seems to think it could be a DC ground fault on my M-Dac's USB & he's very kindly sending me a replacement PCB

In the meantime i just wanted to rule out all the other problems it could be as it would be quite the blow to change the PCB & be back to square one :)

I can understand your frustration, but hang in there for the mainboard.
Shame you weren't a bit closer as I'd let you trial my Mdac to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks anyway, im fairly sure i've ruled out the PC, the USB cable itself & the mains supply to the M-Dac, so the PCB on the M-Dac is logically the next step, but im no electrical expert so still not 100% confident where the problem lies, im not losing sleep but i am thinking about it an awful lot!

Good luck getting a reply, still waiting for an answer to my email from about 4 weeks ago :eek:

Funnily enough emails regarding costs for failed replacement parts (with a known manufacturing defect) where replied to the next day :rolleyes:

Odd. Mine was answered in 8 minutes, and a top class job followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back