advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
been following this product with the intention of buying

not any more

all these threads mentioning the product should be sent to "trade" and leave it at that

I'd be VERY curious to know what's going on behind the scenes - they're not having these stock problems with any other product in their portfolio are they? QC problems perhaps?

A little annoucement on their website would go a long way - as it is they're going to loose customers if they're not careful. What gets me is they are advertising a product (along with online vendors) which one cannot currently buy - madness!

I think I'll wait for John's own brand DAC instead.

I can recommend picking up a Mac Mini from the Apple Refurb Store. They are as good as new and can come with a generous discount. I can also second the recommendation of the MDAC and Mac Mini. I just plugged mine in and have had a great trouble-free musical experience.

I might try that :) I am playing around with the iPad. Found a player called '8player' that will let the iPad or IPhone stream music,video and photos to it from the NAS directly. My NAS is set to be a iTunes and UPNP server. It works well. Does not sound like when a music is played with the file in the iPad itself. Streaming does not sound as good. But it is really cool to be able to do that. Gives lots of mobility when in the house.

They just didn't make enough of them, they didn't schedule to make enough of them and they didn't buy in enough parts and fabricate the casework for them. Simple really, they project their production out months in advance, they can't just make 500 when they feel like it.

I'd be VERY curious to know what's going on behind the scenes - they're not having these stock problems with any other product in their portfolio are they? QC problems perhaps?

A little annoucement on their website would go a long way - as it is they're going to loose customers if they're not careful. What gets me is they are advertising a product (along with online vendors) which one cannot currently buy - madness!

guys you should be aware there's another markets than UK's - and some of these still haven't seen almost any of MDAC.

i know some of you will laugh - but an importer for the country where i live has today received the first three MDACs ever. i would expect audiolab to honour other european (at least) markets too before it ships another thousands of units to the UK.

They just didn't make enough of them, they didn't schedule to make enough of them and they didn't buy in enough parts and fabricate the casework for them. Simple really, they project their production out months in advance, they can't just make 500 when they feel like it.

I don't know if I agree with that - the MDAC went on sale in - what - October? And they're having problems with stock already, with the Silver models not being shipped out until April. I've only read of literally a handful of people who actually own one too. I'm sure if hundreds had been sold already we'd be reading a lot more about people's opinions of them. Also their CD players are just as - if not more - popular than MDAC, and there's no stock problems there that I'm aware of.

Just heard back from David at Creative Audio regarding the delay;

"We have silver M-DAC on back order, but we heard today that we won't be getting any with our black, delivery, so it does seem likely that silver production has been delayed - although we don't know for how long.

Audiolab are riding high at the moment, with massive sales of the CD player - they will not do anything to jeopardise their reputation. Each M-DAC has to be perfect in every way, including some things that many customers would let go - eg exact casing colour regularity etc. The problem is that every part of the DAC design is demanding and if Audiolab halt the production line for any reason, it results in a huge time delay, because the line simply transfers to making other things (that are in high demand anyway) instead."

I think I'm going to go for the black model now, as at least they can get those in for mid February.

I have been told mid Feb for black. Unfortunately I do not trust that they will arrive by then and I am not prepared to pay money up front for something with such an indefinite lead time.

I might try that :) I am playing around with the iPad. Found a player called '8player' that will let the iPad or IPhone stream music,video and photos to it from the NAS directly. My NAS is set to be a iTunes and UPNP server. It works well. Does not sound like when a music is played with the file in the iPad itself. Streaming does not sound as good. But it is really cool to be able to do that. Gives lots of mobility when in the house.

Hi LittleToast,

I use MediaConnect on the iPad, it seems to happily stream FLACs through my iPad. It also is seen by the iPad as an integrated media player. Hence, you can control it when the iPad is locked as if it was the built in Music app. I do have 8player, but not used it much yet. I shall have a go and compare them.

Ben

I'm sure IAG ARE loosing customers - dealers cannot afford to turn away a customer with his cash, and will try and sell what ever they have on hand..

I'd did my best to warn everyone that supplies would be limited.

It was extremely frustrating to work with IAG in China, expect for a select few - they are totally clueless... IAG could be a power house in the HiFi industry - they are the only ones holding themselves back...

There's no major QC issues - although I'm deeply concerned about "Quality fade" now that we are not on the production site acting as the counter balance to the daily cluelessness... We are still actively working with IAG UK to support our designs for IAG, although without direct access to the production line in China things can still slip past.

I will personally continue to support my (our) designs - together with IAG UK there's no need to worry about long term support..

In Dec / Jan IAG manufactured over 6K Pcs of MDAC and for our industry these are big numbers, but from what I understand this is only a drop in the ocean with backorders far outstripping production output such is the demand.

We did warned everyone but...

John

...if Audiolab halt the production line for any reason, it results in a huge time delay...
Regardless, one major culprit is by and large Chinese New Year. I have family in China so I know what goes down during CNY: Nothing...
Absolutely nothing as workers travel back to their hometowns to celebrate with family. Being that we are in the Year of the Dragon only serves to compound the situation further...

After over three months of waiting :eek: ... ! RECEIVED MY TRACKING NUMBER FROM POSD ! North American users rejoice :D for yours shall be shipping shortly as well :) ...
Canada Post (Tracking): International item has left Canada :)

Hmmmmmm.... my dealer is still claiming that the delivery is 'imminent' - but I'd far rather he was straight with me if there is likely to be a delay...

I think I know how the fobbing off process works. It begins with phrases or expressions like:

Imminent

ASAP

On its way

Shortly

or any other expression that implies sooner rather than later without naming a date.

Hmmmmmm.... my dealer is still claiming that the delivery is 'imminent' - but I'd far rather he was straight with me if there is likely to be a delay...

I know there was a shipment on the water to the UK - so the dealer could well have some units reserved from this incoming shipment...

Also - I should be coming to Scotland sometime around the 28th Feb if your still interested in having your CDQ updated...

I think I'm going to go for the black model now, as at least they can get those in for mid February.

I happen to have a silver one, but I'm really not fussed about the colour.
Happy to swap it with a black one if I can help anyone out.

Not sure how this would affect the warranty mind you.

I know there was a shipment on the water to the UK - so the dealer could well have some units reserved from this incoming shipment...

Also - I should be coming to Scotland sometime around the 28th Feb if your still interested in having your CDQ updated...

Oh yes, please - can you send me a PM with an off-forum contact so that I can send you my phone number/email? Ta.

I happen to have a silver one, but I'm really not fussed about the colour.
Happy to swap it with a black one if I can help anyone out.

Not sure how this would affect the warranty mind you.

That's a very kind offer Tim - I'd be tempted (if/when I get one!) if I knew the guarantee could be transferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back