advertisement

which tonearm is the most pleasing to use?

Coda II

getting there slowly
Purely from a putting-the-needle-on-the-record pov, which tonearms make you smile every time?

Irrespective of what the results may be, it's not uncommon for me to look at an arm and think - I just can't see myself enjoying using that - it's one of the main things that puts me off SME.

Hadcock I like, but with the NAS arms I have never been able to get over the slight clunky-ness, and this on a NAS deck where I actually find the clunky-ness to be a positive thing.

I guess I feel that the arm at least should be delicate and refined, but still feel purposeful.

Mørch?

I have an Audio Technica 1503 Mk 3 and it is really easy to set up, looks smart and it makes me feel like it is doing the job properly without fussing about.

regards Al

, it's not uncommon for me to look at an arm and think - I just can't see myself enjoying using that - it's one of the main things that puts me off SME.

I don't get that statement. SME's are easy to setup, sound great and are bullet-proof. My current SME V is probably the last tonearm I'll ever need.

Most pleasing and scary at the same time was cueing up a record on a friend's LP12 armed with an Aro and brand new Transfiguration Aria (sp?) cartridge for the first time.

sounds like you enjoy flimsy , wobbly arms that fall apart after you looked at them.....the sme arms a truly a pleasure to use....wonderful build and slick set up.

i had a hadcock but it just fell apart worse arm i have ever used.

those morch arms will probably be right up your street as they feel and look delicate but are actually awesome build quality and a nice sound too.

I haven't used it for years, but a Linn ittok is a lovely arm to use. easy to set up, adjust etc. First class finish and has a decent adjustable arm rest, Japanese engineering at its finest. Much better finish than the Ekos.

Purely from a putting-the-needle-on-the-record pov, which tonearms make you smile every time?

Irrespective of what the results may be, it's not uncommon for me to look at an arm and think - I just can't see myself enjoying using that - it's one of the main things that puts me off SME.

Hadcock I like, but with the NAS arms I have never been able to get over the slight clunky-ness, and this on a NAS deck where I actually find the clunky-ness to be a positive thing.

I guess I feel that the arm at least should be delicate and refined, but still feel purposeful.

Mørch?

None, back in the day when I still used vinyl, they were all a PITA. Slotting a CD into a player without worrying about scratching the record was a true liberation.

Chris

I use a V regularly and it's the dullest piece of kit in the world, it just sits there are does its thing, gets to the end of the record then you bring it back again- there's no romance ;-)

The easiest to use tonearm I've tried is the Revox parallel tracker. Swing the arm over the record, the record turns on and a light shines on the record. Cuing is all mechanical with buttons to move it left right and and softly lower the cartridge and quickly lift it. When it reaches the end of the record it lifts automatically and returns the cartridge.

If only it sounded as good and wasn't a nightmare to set up...

The loveliest arm, for me, is probably the first series SME 3012. What a great bit of design. Everyone else has copied it, but they are copies.....
Which one sounds best, among pivoted arms the SME series Five-12inch version would get my vote. Then the Naim Aro! But it is meaningless really, because all arms form part of a system and only work in conjunction with the other bits. Best arm of all....an Air Tangent parallel tracker. Wipes the floor with all pivotted arms, but fiddly, fiddly, fiddly, and very very costly too.

a Linn ittok is a lovely arm to use. easy to set up, adjust etc. First class finish and has a decent adjustable arm rest, Japanese engineering at its finest.

... agreed, and in a similar vein, the Jelco SA 750D is a lovely arm to use.

Andrew

The Linn Ekos on a LP12 with a Linn MC cartridge. A pleasure to hand cue, the fact that it is a suspended deck which offers some give, the rest for the arm and the protection for the stylus is just perfect. Having the deck at chest height makes it all the better for spinning vinyl.

I much, much preferred the ease of use and looks of my Ittok over the ARO I now use.

(ARO sounds loads better though)

Probably what you get used to/comfortable with, isn't it?
I've been using an Ekos for many years, with an LP12 & now with my Orbe, cueiing by hand. I'm perfectly comfortable with it & can't see me changing for anything else. (although everyone keeps banging on about how the SME V is the classic arm for the Orbe, so who knows?)
Matt.

9" Audio Origami Chrome signature PU7 for me. Awesome to behold, to hand cue and listen to music via.

John R.

My Rega RB700 in a modified P5 (groovetracer), Pass Aleph Ono phono stage and a fantastic Dynavector XX2 MKII. So easy to setup and great music involved... What else can I ask for?:p

I thinnk some arms are pretty crap to use, others not so.

The thing that irritates me most is an arm which moves on the cueing bar whilst in the process of lowering. I'm a good aim, but its pointless if the goalpost moves!

Both my old Linn Ittock and my current Graham 2.2 have this issue.

My Linn Ekos on the other hand seems to have the cueing mechanism nailed though sounds a lot less good on the Linn than my Graham does on the Orbe.

I would never tolerate an Aro due to the complete absence of a mechanism.

How hard can it actually be to dedsign the thing properly?

advertisement

Back