advertisement

which tonearm is the most pleasing to use?

...No-one ever mentions Zeta's ...so ....I say go Zeta (British and clad in black) ...mines functional even now after nigh on 30 yrs!

The Sme is simply a reflection of how well you partner and use it.It is neither dull nor exciting..that is the job of the music.
What camera would it be...a Leica M series of course.

I forgot to mention the arm that comes with the Trio LO7D, it's a pleasure to use and beautifully constructed, when the clamp is released the VTA can be adjusted while the record is playing and 10 revolutions of the height adjustment wheel rises the arm by 1mm, so it's extremely accurate.
I have also used a Van den Hul tipped Ortofon SPU for years, tracking at 3.5 grams and my records still sound great. I say used to, my wife snapped the cantilever off, I miss her!
enjoy your music
regards Al

The Sme is simply a reflection of how well you partner and use it.It is neither dull nor exciting..that is the job of the music.
What camera would it be...a Leica M series of course.

Unusable? No off-centre focussing, inaccurate rangefinder calibration from one lens to another, no warning when shooting with lens cap on, rotation of camera required for focussing horizons, no zooms, no real telephotos, no practical macro capability, occlusion of viewfinder with moderate sized lenses, parallax error, no accurate focussing of wide aperture wideangle lenses on off-centre subjects even when there is time, don't get me started. There's a reason why Leica is dying. SME on the other hand...

SME V: easy to set up (and stays set up), and easy to use. The stylus plops down exactly where you had aimed. Sounds good, too.

(One of the things I disliked about my RB300 over the years was the way it never seemed to lower the stylus in the right place, and the anti-skating seemed to have a mind of its own.)

SME V: easy to set up (and stays set up), and easy to use. The stylus plops down exactly where you had aimed. Sounds good, too.

(One of the things I disliked about my RB300 over the years was the way it never seemed to lower the stylus in the right place, and the anti-skating seemed to have a mind of its own.)

Exactly it's too predictable, I want a bit of spice in my life, a sports car that drifts in the corners, a mail order bride that might run off at any minute, you know the sort of thing.

I've been pleasantly surprised by my Terminator. I was expecting it to be pretty horrible to use - I price I thought worth paying for the sound. My expectations were even lower when I realised the cuing isn't damped.

As it turns out it's nicer in use than any pivoted arm I've had (admittedly not many). Because it's linear, the stylus behaves totally predictably, and the extremely short length makes it more surefooted and works well with the lack of damping. It's impossible to cue manually, but I don't miss that at all.

The only issue is putting a record on the platter without catching the underside of the beam, but I'm well used to that now.

seriesvbig.jpg

How can an arm be a pleasure to use if it doesn't have a finger lift?

Strangely, using3 fingertips down the midlle of my old WTA i foudn I could place the arm on a track quicker than any other arm I have used. No need to cue either, just let go. Easiest and quickest tonearm ever for me, if not the most satisfying in the looks and engineering kudos department !

You actually USE the cueing device?

Ease of use, SME all the way. However the PU7 & Notts Ace Anna sound so much better.
Worst for ease of use, set up & build quality, Hadcock.

Simon.

Well now, as a new owner of a 12" Ace Anna (from a Five), I'd say your s.q. improvement claim is VERY cart. dependent.

Sme 3012 and AO PU7 user, and I enjoy them both, both very easy to set up and use, and once set up, they stay set up, with no further adjustments required.

That is precisely what I like about the SME V and the 9" and 12" Ittoks.

A 12" Tiktok? Never knew there was such an animal; strange that Linn would design an arm which couldn't be used on their decks. I had the LVII in the eighties, and it was a good, solidly made arm; couldn't fault it.

My ancient old Mørch UP4 makes my nipples go stiff whenever I use it so I'd say it scores ok on the "Pleasurometer" scale.

Love the bling on da thing

And now for a bit of bling by Tanais Fox, on Flickr

Some 'trane in the post: Pursuance by Tanais Fox, on Flickr

you do need something a bit phwoaarrrr for that delicate little pinkie lift though (well I think it's phwoaarr).

Koetsu Urushi Wajima in place by Tanais Fox, on Flickr

Gold bling? Whatever next? Anyway, totally outclassed by the 124 and the magnificent Urushi Wagima. My Vermillion is sooooooo boring by comparison.......:(

advertisement

Back