advertisement

Returning to vinyl - which turntable?

I have a rega p3 with a At120e cart that cost $70 and it sounds great, very musical and easy to listen to,it would be well within your budget and easy to sell on if needed. I would however love to get my hands on an LP12.

If you were thinking of going for a DJ style DD TT, the Audio Technica AT-LP120 is erm... well an SL1200 spec deck for rather less money.

According to online specifications, if they can be trusted, the AT-LP120 has a measured wow/flutter of 0.2% whereas the SL1210 MK2 has wow/flutter of 0.025%. Anybody got any stats for a 400 quid Sondek?

Of course, it's the wow during dynamic music that matters, and that usually depends on the 'dynamism'.

According to online specifications, if they can be trusted, the AT-LP120 has a measured wow/flutter of 0.2% whereas the SL1210 MK2 has wow/flutter of 0.025%. Anybody got any stats for a 400 quid Sondek?

Of course, it's the wow during dynamic music that matters, and that usually depends on the 'dynamism'.

Oops! Sorry, apparently I can't read!

Dunno about a 400 quid Sondek, I would guess that it's going to have a Basik PS so it probably depends on your mains if my experience of such PS arrangements are anything to go by! Some internet searching came up with a few people on forums quoting Hi-Fi Choice as measuring 0.06% with a Valhalla and 0.03% with a Lingo.

Technics DD TTs are a good basis for DIY record cleaners.

What a waste ! A cheapo belt drive deck will do for that .

Gromit , also add the SL-QL1 and DL1 ! Get Rich from Vantage to service them and you have real nice sounding deck well within the £400 budget , just an alternative to the 1200 .

Is it realistic to hope to get an LP12 with arm+cart for £400 and in good fettle ?

Any dealer service will cost at least £200 surely .

Buy a Thorens TD125, fit a Rega RB300 and buy an MM to keep you going.....

A good TD125 is genuinely up there IMO. I'm not generous in my accolades but this thing works ;)

10 years ago you could get an LP12 for £300, these days forget it.

I have a cheap and crappy DJ belt drve deck that I'm giving away, ideal for DIY record cleaning etc.

Steve I may have been lucky but I bought an LP12 last year for £360 (valhalla basic arm) on ebay from a fellow local to me and following that this year bought a Thorens 160 super like you and there was not much in it for my listening demands. Obviously there are a few diy mods for the thorens deck that after doing them make a bit of difference so I would be in the Thorens 150 or 160 gang here to start with. There is a fellow round the road with a shop full of them and others so will report back with any bargins-my 160 s cost me £65 with a Grace tone arm which i intend to replace with sme but still you dont have to spend a fortune on these things to achieve great quality imo. Miss the WTA in saying that but for the sound and not the ergonomics. I have a WT super on the way so that will be an interesting comparison but a WT can be had for £500...

Cheers Si

If you fancy older stuff don't discount Thorens. A TD150 is a bloody nice thing and a 160 super possibly better. I recenbtly sold a 160 super/3009 on here for £300, it was a lovely deck and sounded absolutely great. I would stack it up against an LP12 any day, it might come second but it would not be disgraced.

With your budget OP, I'd say that's about right, before my Sondek I had a TD160/RB 300/Goldring something; it was very nice.

Dunno about a 400 quid Sondek, I would guess that it's going to have a Basik PS so it probably depends on your mains if my experience of such PS arrangements are anything to go by! Some internet searching came up with a few people on forums quoting Hi-Fi Choice as measuring 0.06% with a Valhalla and 0.03% with a Lingo.

I earnestly doubt these figures. Certainly I doubt them once the thing has to play some actual music.

The LP12 at 360 is about the lower end of the going rate for that spec, decent enough buy though. Well done. A 160S with Grace under £100 is a steal though and like you I really like that deck. I sold one here a few weeks ago at £300, it had a 3009 and it was worth every penny. I'd used it with an Eroica and it really, really sang. Musically I rated it head of an LP12/Lingo 1/Ittok/Goldring 1042 I had. It really was something where the whole exceeded the sum of the parts.

Very interesting as I was wondering on a cart choice so will look at an Eroica-ta.
Important to not listen to the negatives regarding the LP12 here fantastic tt but more dosh so take it easy as you said you are only returning to vinyl. If you decide you made the right choice then you may want to move up in the world but as it stands a fool and his money are easily parted here. If you are not the set up type then Rega plug in and play new-great decks.I hope your not a classical man!

The Eroica is a poor performer in comparison with the better 1000 series carts at about the same money. (IMO)

Well here we go on the next debate which cart for the new tt.I have only used AT cart on my WT only as I could not afford anything beter and now have a DV 20xl which is all round ideal but have not heard it on anything else other thsn WT tt-what are we looking at on a Thorens 150/160 in the ops price range?

Shure M75 EJ/ED was the preferred cart for these TTs and this gives an instant upgrade path by switching to JICO SAS stylus. There is no better way to spend your money IMO.

advertisement

Back