advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

Dual all in one set
Some crap Philips things on an even crappier receiver with a crappiest fully automatic Philips record deck
Mission 70 MKII
Celestion Ditton DL1
Misson 751
Sonus Faber Concertino Home (Love em!)
Eyeing up SF, but that will have to wait for a good while...

My Brothers Wharfdale 506 & 504 (got 504's in bedroom)
Kef Caprice ii
Celestion SL6, 6Si when I blew the copper domes, 12Si because they were close.
Epos ES14
Naim Sbl
Avondale Revelation 1
Linn Kans, late mk1's and 2's. 2 pairs of each , I've kept the mint pairs.
Avondale Revelation 2
Rogers Studio One
Acoustic Energy AE2

Problem is, I'm still looking at most of them, really need to thin the herd. Good thing Kans are small :D

Owned:
Klipsch RF 83
B&W 683
Own:
Focal Aria 948
Auditioned:
B&W cm8 cm9 cm10 s1, cm8 cm9 cm10 s2, 802 d2, 803 d2.
Paradigm 75F, s8 v3
KEF Q900
Polk RTI A9, LSIM707
Goldenear Triton 3,1
Martin Logan ESL
Focal Aria 948
PSB image t2
Dynaudio Focus 260, 380
Proac Studio 148, D28

I listened to all these with the same amp and most in the same room with the same test tracks, keeping variables down to a minimum.

you certainly have had some wide experience of b&w !! how do you like them compared to proac 148 or d28?

you certainly have had some wide experience of b&w !! how do you like them compared to proac 148 or d28?

Wasnt a fan tbh, warm and lacked detail in the mids. Two ways are really difficult, only pair i have heard that got two way right was dynaudio 260.
B&w are consistent, only their cm s1 line were horrible.

Since 2004:

Gale Gold Monitors
Pro-Ac Tablette Reference 8
Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A V2
Harbeth P3ESR
Harbeth C7-ES3
B&O Beolab 5
B&O Beolab 3
Harbeth P3ESR
Tannoy Kensington SE
Spendor S3/5R
Harbeth P3ESR...and now I'm sticking with them for good!

I think I might have done this already, but anyway, in order:

Mission 780SE
Amphion Argon2
Amphion Argon3
Royd Sapphire MK1
Royd Sorcerer
and my current speakers: Royd RR3s

...I have a spare set of tweeters, and my Sorcerers are late versions with the Revelation drivers that could be used to repair my RR3s, so am hoping these are my last speakers. IF they did die, I think I'd go for a pair of Thiels or something as they are another instance of speakers that 'time' excellently with minimum phase distortion, no flab or overhang.

These are all the ones I can remember, various others may have passed through briefly:

Kef/Jama bookshelves (can't remember models)
Mordaunt Short MS10
Acoustic Energy AE-109
Acoustic Energy AE-1
Naim SBL
Naim nSAT
Shahinian Compass
Shahinian Obelisk Mk1

AR18
Heybrook HB1
Monitor Audio 352
Rogers LS7t
Spendor SP3
Celestion SL600
Magnaplanar SMGa
Wharfdale 705
HH Pro 150
BIg Gap
Proac Studio 150
Dynaudio Audience 40
Dynaudio Crafft
Various big Subs from Rel and MK
Proac Response 3.8
Dynaudio Confidence 5
Martin Logan Ascent.
Merlin VSM MM
Proac Response 1sc
Proac D100
ATC SCM50 asl
Proac D80
JBL 4338
Living Voice OBX
Merlin TSM Mx
JBL/TAD Horn Project
ATC SCM50atsl Anniversary
Proac D1
Tannoy Kensington SE

JBL K2 9800

I will be buried in the last ones on the list. One of the very best loudspeakers I've ever heard anywhere.

okay, Merlin, you've owned everything. I know that now.

Curious: ATC 50's vs. the k29800's. Can you give some in depth comparison? What did the ATC's do really well? Can you give some....I guess....meaty descriptions that might help imagine the differences.

Also what was the JBL/TAD project?

Unfortunately my memory is somewhat fuzzy these days.

The ATC's never really grabbed me. Clean and crisp without sounding authentic across the spectrum. They really needed to be cranked up IIRC.

I replaced them with Focal Diablos which I actually preferred.

The JBL TAD project was a wonderful learning experience and it did somethings remarkably well. It was lacking the last degree of coherence however despite some lengthy tuning of both active and passive crossovers. Extraordinary at times though. Just my inability to fine tune the components rather let it down. It could amaze people though.

The JBL's are the best of all worlds to my ears and in my room. They sound "authentic" which to me means like music - not like a high resolution loudspeaker. The resolution is there of course - it has to be to sound authentic. It's just not pushed in your face like most audiophile solutions I've heard. And they are equally convincing at 50db as they are at 100db.

The effortlessness of the sound "wafting" at you. I can smell it now.

I'd imagine the Kensingtons gave you a taste of it but not enough ultimately, with some other issues to boot.

I've never heard either the K2's or the Everests. (Any version). I'm curious though. Perhaps one day I'll wander somewhere.

The K2's are certainly worth a listen if you get the chance. They recalibrated what I thought I could achieve - particularly as I can now get as much enjoyment at less than 60db.

I've never heard another loudspeaker that sounds so authentic at such whisper quiet levels - so don't think they are all about power and glory.

I'm sat listening to the White Album at 55db and it's probably the most informative and at the same time enjoyable experience I've had of it in forty years or so.

The What HiFi review of the K2 9900 pretty much sums up what I'm trying to say.

If you love music, then you simply "get" what the JBL's do.

Unfortunately my memory is somewhat fuzzy these days.

The ATC's never really grabbed me. Clean and crisp without sounding authentic across the spectrum. They really needed to be cranked up IIRC.

I replaced them with Focal Diablos which I actually preferred.

The JBL TAD project was a wonderful learning experience and it did somethings remarkably well. It was lacking the last degree of coherence however despite some lengthy tuning of both active and passive crossovers. Extraordinary at times though. Just my inability to fine tune the components rather let it down. It could amaze people though.

The JBL's are the best of all worlds to my ears and in my room. They sound "authentic" which to me means like music - not like a high resolution loudspeaker. The resolution is there of course - it has to be to sound authentic. It's just not pushed in your face like most audiophile solutions I've heard. And they are equally convincing at 50db as they are at 100db.
since I dont have close to the money required to get JBL everest range, within all the speakers youve had that are affordable (say under 5k), which did you prefer the most?

advertisement

Back