advertisement

Yiiiiiihaaa!!! The 20'000 UKP power cable is here!

Linky works here. Nothing graphic. and less offensive than being asked to pony up 20K for a bit of wire.

I am not sure which is the most daft. A 20k kettle lead or WAV sounds better than FLAC.

FLAC takes time to decode whereas WAV can be taken straight off the hard disk and given to the soundcard. Long story short, WAV can be played with a much smaller buffer, meaning lower latency. Very, very important in some production/monitoring situations :p

There are some very good power leads using identical connectors to the Odin that cost only £360. This is a lot of money for a power lead but a lot less than £20,000. These were used in the Scalford hall system that I helped to put together last March. They can make quite an improvement subjectively and are therefore excellent VFM.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45_18&products_id=198

Interesting that the 5m version is "only" £405, so the cable itself is only £10 per metre, the rest is the cost of the connectors and assembly.

. Interesting that the 5m version is "only" £405, so the cable itself is only £10 per metre, the rest isthecost of the connectors and assembly.

Correct. The Furutech connectors alone are close to £300. Do some googling of those alone...

So if the connector is so critical, why not eliminate it completely and run it on a fused outlet, hard wired to the component?

The crimps in the case to hold the wire restrict easy flow of delicate electronicules.

Did you fall asleep during Audiophile physics lessons?

Correct. The Furutech connectors alone are close to £300. Do some googling of those alone...

Furutech are the people who sell $79 audiophile 13A fuses, FFS. That makes them as big a bunch of shysters as Nordost.

This is a direct cut & paste from their website:

"For best performance, the HiFi Tuning fuses should be installed one way, listened to, and then reversed the other way to determine the best sonic orientation."

Horse feathers and charlatanry of the very first water.

Chris

I wonder if this is legal or against the electrical code in some countries.
It may be but it isn't in the UK. IEC mains leads caught on because in many countries (and now happily in the UK) it's illegal to supply an electrical device without a plug for the country of use. The IEC is a great solution, being an International Electrical Connector all the devices can be the same and then you just chuck the right cable for that country in the box when you know where they are going. Captive cables were in vogue in the 70s/80s because they are cheaper and as there is one less connector to go wrong. They work better than any connector.

In any case, the point still stands, in the UK it IS legal to do this and if £20k is at stake, why not do it?

. So if the connector is so critical, why not eliminate it completely and run it on a fused outlet, hard wired to the component?

Without risking a salvo of "wild claims" ratatat "evidence!" consider the possibility that the connector may be used as a decoupling device.

The crimps in the case to hold the wire restrict easy flow of delicate electronicules.

Did you fall asleep during Audiophile physics lessons?

Absolutely not, and I expect a man of your calibre to come up with something involvong cable microphony and orientation of crytal planes following induced current flow.

I believe the IEC connector is matched so it's loose in its male counterpart with the blade contact being the only bit left tight. Could be wrong though.

I believe the IEC connector is matched so it's loose in its male counterpart with the blade contact being the only bit left tight. Could be wrong though.

I'd agree with that.

The only problem is, the IEC320 connector really is pretty horrible by design. It's nominally a 6A conector, with a 10A rating allowed under certain circs (hence the notch on the connectors at issue here) - but really, it is horrible. A lowest-commn-denominator.

$20K would pay for a tech to fly-in next-available flight, first-class worldwide and convert your equipment to , say, Neutrik Powercon and still leave a substantial profit on a couple of metres of cable - at the very least. And it'd still be a waste of time & money.

I wonder why Neutrik Powercons aren't used more in this part of the industry? I understand they're quite good from a friend in the pro sector who hears a difference between connectors. Reliabilty for stage use is outstanding in his opinion so ruggedness isn't the problem. Must google cost....

...seems reasonably priced to me.

31MzW-4wH8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Retails at Amazon for $3.25 US

That won't break the bank! Will it handle L N & E or is it only 2 way? If it has an earth then it's a better connector than an IEC.

Still probably pointless, but at £3 it would be worth putting into a project box.

Could this be why they aren't used in manufacturing products for consumer use? (from the Powercon FAQ):

May I plug / unplug a powerCON cable connector under load?

"No. The powerCON is approved as a power "connector" and not as "plug and socket device". Connectors: are components which in normal use (under live) are not be engaged ot disengaged under live. Plug and socket devices: are components which in normal use (under live or load) may be engaged or disengaged when live or under load."

advertisement

Back