advertisement

Wish You were Here CD releases.

@Seeker_UK those remixes (the second video) were rumoured to be by Alex Paterson - I don't believe it, he wouldn't have been able to resist putting silly voice samples on. I downloaded the set "from the internet" years ago.

@Seeker_UK those remixes (the second video) were rumoured to be by Alex Paterson - I don't believe it, he wouldn't have been able to resist putting silly voice samples on. I downloaded the set "from the internet" years ago.

Agreed, although I'm not and Orb / Patterson expert, it strikes me as too sloppy to be his work.

There'll be the hi-res, quad and 5.1 versions with the Immersion set as well.

If you're quick, there's one on Amazon for £54.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZNAUVW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Be careful.....

Just been given the WYWH Immersion Box set. I expected it to have all of the above but it doesn't have a hi-res 2ch version of the 2011 remaster. The hi-res 2ch version is a transcription of the 1975 original as far as I can tell.

You essentially get:

Original Album (2011 remaster) 2ch 16/44.1 (CD)
5.1 Surround Mix (2009 remaster) 96kHz/24 Bit (Blu-ray)
Original (1975) Stereo Mix 96kHz/24 Bit (Blu-ray)
Original 4.0 Quad Mix (1975) 96kHz/24 Bit (Blu-ray)

(and the above repeated in various other formats plus some live bits & pieces & various other faff).
Found this very odd & totally unexpected. As far as I can tell it's the same for the DSOTM Immersion release too.
I was hoping i'd be able to rip the hi-res version more easily than from SACD but it's not there!! I'll have to dig out my old Sony SACD player & look up how to use it to rip the SACD 2ch hires......!

It was interesting hearing the original quad mix for the first time.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Be careful.....

Just been given the WYWH Immersion Box set. I expected it to have all of the above but it doesn't have a hi-res 2ch version of the 2011 remaster. The hi-res 2ch version is a transcription of the 1975 original as far as I can tell.

You essentially get:

Original Album (2011 remaster) 2ch 16/44.1 (CD)
5.1 Surround Mix (2009 remaster) 96kHz/24 Bit (Blu-ray)
Original (1975) Stereo Mix 96kHz/24 Bit (Blu-ray)
Original 4.0 Quad Mix (1975) 96kHz/24 Bit (Blu-ray)

(and the above repeated in various other formats plus some live bits & pieces & various other faff).
Found this very odd & totally unexpected. As far as I can tell it's the same for the DSOTM Immersion release too.
I was hoping i'd be able to rip the hi-res version more easily than from SACD but it's not there!! I'll have to dig out my old Sony SACD player & look up how to use it to rip the SACD 2ch hires......!

It was interesting hearing the original quad mix for the first time.

Isn't 96 kHz "Hi-Res"?

Yes it is but it doesnt sound like its the same mix to me.
To my ears it doesn't sound like it's the same mix as the 2ch 16/44.1 on the (Immersion) CD. And the Immersion CD sounds the same as the SACD (to me!).

Maybe there are differences in the way my player presents Blu-ray vs SACD (it's a Marantz universal player that I use for both).

Must be others here with the Immersion set. What do folks think of the 2ch bluray hires mix? Is it the same as the CD in the same set?

Are there any tools to easily compare waveforms as I could easily compare rips to see if they are identical?

Yes it is but it doesnt sound like its the same mix to me.
To my ears it doesn't sound like it's the same mix as the 2ch 16/44.1 on the (Immersion) CD. And the Immersion CD sounds the same as the SACD (to me!).

Maybe there are differences in the way my player presents Blu-ray vs SACD (it's a Marantz universal player that I use for both).

Must be others here with the Immersion set. What do folks think of the 2ch bluray hires mix? Is it the same as the CD in the same set?

Are there any tools to easily compare waveforms as I could easily compare rips to see if they are identical?

AIUI, they are different masters.

The Red Book CD is the 2011 master / mix, the DVD / BluRay is the original stereo mix in LPCM format.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3277193-Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here-Immersion-Box-Set

On the plus side, the original stereo mix on CD is the one most people want. :)

That does seem to be the case.

It's bizarre the 2011 remaster is not included in hi-res, given how lavish the immersion set is.
If you want a hires version of the 2011 remaster, the sacd seems the only option.

Certainly an option (although at full price it's more than I picked up the SACD for although I daresay i wouldn't get it at that price now ....that said ripping is a real pain!!).

Probably about time I gave in and looked seriously at an on-line subscription. Have Amazon, but almost impossible to access the Hires streams.....I'll have to look at the Qubuz plug-in for my SB Touch.

advertisement

Back