advertisement

Wish You were Here CD releases.

wezzywest

pfm Member
Hi, Could anybody tell me which releases of Wish You Were Here on CD are the better ones, or are there any to avoid.
Cheers.

They're all good.

The one everyone wants is the original Japanese "35DP 4" release but they go for, well, stupid amounts of money.

I have the 1994 remaster and the 2xCD "Experience" version from 2013. Both sound OK to me - the double CD has live and extra tracks like the Roger Water's version of "Have A Cigar" and the Stephane Grappelli version of "Wish You Were Here".

They're all good.

The one everyone wants is the original Japanese "35DP 4" release but they go for, well, stupid amounts of money.

I have the 1994 remaster and the 2xCD "Experience" version from 2013. Both sound OK to me - the double CD has live and extra tracks like the Roger Water's version of "Have A Cigar" and the Stephane Grappelli version of "Wish You Were Here".
Thanks for that, i will see what shows up on ebay and amazon.
Cheers.

The 2011 remasters, often called Discovery edition, are as good as any for all Floyd albums. These are readily available new from Amazon for around £10.

The "Experience", "Discovery" and "Immersion" versions all have the same mastering.

I honestly think it will be harder to find a crap CD version than a good one. Pink Floyd cares about SQ from the off, same with Steely Dan, standard issues just sound great.

No need to overthink.

AP Sacds sound better than 99% of Vinyl these days
Pity EMI blocked the UHQR versions

Back in the quad era, if any band actually delivered worthwhile use of the enveloping experience surround sound offered, it was Pink Floyd. With SACD, we can now have it in true, discrete form, instead of messing about with barely workable quadraphonic vinyl, and while this isn't the first time it's been reissued in a multichannel digital format, this is the best-sounding version I have ever heard. 'Welcome To The Machine' is so massive that I had to switch off the subwoofer and listen in 5.0 for fear of destabilizing the recent underpinning to our home. Along with Dark Side Of The Moon, this is one of the band's most potent releases, presented here with respect." — Sound Quality: 90% — Ken Kessler, Hi Fi News

"You might wonder why 1) I'm giving this our Album Choice, and 2) the ace score of 95% if, like me, you'd rather pass a kidney stone than listen to Pink Floyd, and I've done both. But I rate it without contradiction because this page is focused as much on sound quality as content. So while not to my tastes, it's still sold over 45 million copies and is regarded as one of the greatest ever, permanently sited near the top of any polls. What Chad Kassem's crew delivers here is arguably the best-sounding digital transfer yet — in both stereo and 5.1 surround — even matching MoFi's 1981 UHQR LP for richness. Seconds into 'Money' or 'Time' and you'll click 'Buy Now,' whatever your preferred supplier. Astonishing, especially in 5.1" — Sound Quality: 95% — Ken Kessler, Hi Fi News, March 2022

FWIW The Analogue Productions DSOTM SACD would appear to be a straight re-press of the fairly easy to find 2003 Anniversary Edition. The packaging is very different, but it is not a new mastering. Lots of comment over on Steve Hoffman’s site.

Thanks again for the replies, I don’t want to spend to much, there is Few Japanese releases that have caught my eye on eBay, as well as the different UK ones.
Cheers.

FWIW The Analogue Productions DSOTM SACD would appear to be a straight re-press of the fairly easy to find 2003 Anniversary Edition. The packaging is very different, but it is not a new mastering. Lots of comment over on Steve Hoffman’s site.
My understanding (from reading the Hoffman thread) is that the SACD layer is the same, but the Red Book layer is not.

My understanding (from reading the Hoffman thread) is that the SACD layer is the same, but the Red Book layer is not.

That makes sense as the red book layer of the Anniversary Edition is pretty bad/hyped-up (it apparently clips at points). I don’t think it is a new mastering though, so likely just the current standard CD master.

PS FWIW I’ve yet to hear any DSOTM digital mastering that I’d take over a bog-standard ‘70s UK vinyl pressing (i.e. you don’t need to hunt down a crazy expensive ‘solid blue triangle’ 1st press). The standard UK vinyl kills the MoFi too IMO. In fairness I’ve not heard all the digital masterings though.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

The Atom Heart (aka Flanger/Senor Coconut) unlicensed club mix of Shine On is rather fun. I have the appropriately bright pink vinyl 12”.

advertisement

Back