advertisement

Why do people compare Teddy Pardo to Naim?

without Naim i would not hear about Teddy Pardo, or i would never have the courage to just try, after all they are expensive items.
Naim PSs lead the way for me to know and try Teddy products, first double hicap then txps, i can say that i am impressed by sound, build quality and customer service and know Teddy Pardo became a brand that i can test with trust, i can start with a phono stage then maybe headphone amp and then maybe power amps etc..... i currently own all Naim setup.
I am still waiting for 555PS equivalent and an TPSX that can power 2 sources ( one at a time ), i find immensly stupid and offensive that i have to buy 2 XPS for streamer and can not use them without chancing cables...

I only bought a Teddy Cap, which for me works at least as well as a HiCap. I bought it because Teddy is such a nice person, because he gave me a croissant and orange juice, because you can smell the strawberry plantations from his workshop, and because his beautiful daughter smiled and said "Good morning."

I've heard a Teddy Pardo system and its excellent and offers great value for money. I think it sounds different to Naim, and is as different to Naim as Linn is. I think it's great that Teddy Pardo offers competition and high quality products that are hand made. A bit disappointing to read the cynical posts on this thread, I think companies such as TP offer much hope and I applaud the entrepreneurial spirit.
Companies such as Kudos, Neat, Teddy, Naim, Linn all need to be supported (manufacturing in Europe is a dying art)
Regards Devraj

I only bought a Teddy Cap, which for me works at least as well as a HiCap. I bought it because Teddy is such a nice person, because he gave me a croissant and orange juice, because you can smell the strawberry plantations from his workshop, and because his beautiful daughter smiled and said "Good morning."

Given that real orange juice*, proper croissants**, beautiful women who smile*** and 'plantations' are not (or seldom) to be found in the UK, where and who/what is this eponymous 'Teddy' and his cap?

* Picked and squeezed and drunk the same morning.
** Baked no more than an hour earlier by French people and not Tesco.
*** Beauty, smiles and the ability to lift attention from whatsapp/Facebook etc. for the time it takes to actually utter a pleasant, spoken greeting is pure science fiction and where your charming scene falls apart.

<moderating>

I've popped the thread into trade discussion as it is probably more appropriate there.

PS I have little to add otherwise as sadly I've yet to hear any TP kit! It certainly looks very nice, looks superbly made and well laid out/serviceable, which I guess in itself is a strong similarity to Naim. To my mind one of Naim's greatest strengths is the lifespan, serviceability and sustainability, especially of the classic pre-digital era. Kit that follows a similar path is the stuff to buy IMHO!

My first step into Naim was with a CB Headline headphone amp.
Looking for a PSU upgrade I soon discovered TeddyPardo.

Not only a cheaper alternative, but also no need for recapping anymore, so for me a no-brainer.

<moderating>

I've popped the thread into trade discussion as it is probably more appropriate there.

PS I have little to add otherwise as sadly I've yet to hear any TP kit! It certainly looks very nice, looks superbly made and well laid out/serviceable, which I guess in itself is a strong similarity to Naim. To my mind one of Naim's greatest strengths is the lifespan, serviceability and sustainability, especially of the classic pre-digital era. Kit that follows a similar path is the stuff to buy IMHO!

Fully agree with your comments Tony. The reliability aspects is one of the reasons I've owned and enjoyed Naim for 25 years in many different places across the world, I like the sound but the equipment is very well made. I have a Nait 2 that looks new on the one end and a 552 that while it is complex and sounds good is virtually bombproof. I like the TP approach too. I have been tempted by some other gear eg Shindo some AR amps but they sound different to Naim not better or worse but moreover I have heard bad reports on reliability.
Devraj

Slight tangent but in the general spirit of the thing.......

It's been well hashed the like for like nature of some of Teddy Pardo early offerings and Naim power supplies. It's also been stated here the different nature of Teddy Pardo amps to Naim.

Taking the above as read is there a Teddy Pardo equivalent step on the ladder to a NAP 300 DR or would the monoblocks be more in the 250 DR arena?

SJB

Recent (2-3 years) MB100s can deliver around 200W/ch into 1-8 ohm, and they have a drive which sounds more like 1000W/ch. Never heard from any MB100 owner about "not enough power"...

Having discovered TP first as an alternative PSU supplier for Naim, I found out that they make quite superb DACs too :)

It's a clever money making idea from Naim. By making there always be something slightly better than what you've got, it plays on your mind insidiously that you could have better.
Clearly from the Naim forums there is rampant insecurity in what some own, fuelled by others trying to justify their excesses.
The DR upgrade plays on this too, the thought that what you've got could be better. Drives some people crazy.
I think it is a psychological illness actually, being lucratively and legally exploited.
This doesn't just define Naim owners. Take a look through the Classifieds, look at the postings in the Hi-Fi room. Loads of folk who've never owned Naim are continually swapping their kit around for other kit they hope'll sound better. At least with Naim, if you're an owner you can be pretty confident that if you go for one of their more expensive amps or power supplies it's going to sound better than what you've got, and not just different.

I like Teddy's stuff, and I've built a couple of "Hi-Caps" using his STRs. Very good they are too. Better value for money than Naim? Well, that depends if you think they sound the same or better. My Naim kit's superb value for money because I've yet to hear anything better.

Lets be honest TP makes some vey good kit I myself own TC+ powering my Nap 200 but If it wasn't for Naim Audio we would all be asking Teddy who? Teddy bear? Teddy Pendergrass? Teddy Roosevelt? NO! Teddy Pardo. Oh the guy who made his living off the back of Naim, well done and good luck to you mate you are a very, very talented engineer.

Back to the original question:

I used to own Naim SN2, HDX, DAC, HCDR, XPS and HILINE cables - all in all above 20 grand worth of gear. Then I heard about Teddy Pardo and cheaper but better PSUs for Naim. So I tried the CAP on the SN2 and it blew the HCDR off the rack. That's unusual as I typically do not believe that there were solutions without a downside in the world.

Then I replaced the Naim XPS with the Teddy XPS: More PRAT at a fraction of the cost. Done.
Then I got me a TeddyDAC and it was clearly better than the Naim DAC.

Finally, taking the biggest risk of all, I ordered the Teddy Pardo integrated amp I80A at risk (but fully trusting Teddy that i could ship it back would I not like it) and it really destroyed the SN2 in a sense not expected. Much more PRAT, sound stage and live feeling.

Consequently I sold the TeddyXPS and the TeddyCAP for a good price as they were no longer required.

I also own the Teddy PhonoPre. It is quite good but head to head with Regas Aria and I typically use the Aria with my Rega RP8 TT as it sounds a little more refined with most of my records at the cost of PRAT that comes more with the TeddyPhonoPre. So, that is the only Teddy product where there is room for improvement compared to a similar priced mainstream product.

To summarize, I guess that is why people compare TP with Naim: Most of them are previous Naim owners.

Good luck Teddy! Keep em coming.

Chris

advertisement

Back