advertisement

Why do people compare Teddy Pardo to Naim?

teddy_pardo

Trade: Teddy Pardo
People often describe our audio products as alternative to Naim, as the next gen Naim, as better than Naim, etc. I have recently read a review of our i80a in a Hifi magazine were on the first half page the word Naim was mentioned 11 times!

I started asking myself, our designs have nothing to do with Naim designs, not even close. We use jfets, they use bipolar transistors, we use SuperTeddyRegs which they don't, we use Wolfson DAC chips they use TI, we use Seas Excel drivers they use their own, we use WBT NextGen RCAs they use PREH DINs, so why is that?

The most obvious answer would be that since we started our business by offering alternative power supplies to Naim, it is only natural to associate our name to Naim, but then I thought a little further and reached a different conclusion.

I have looked at our customers list, those who bought amplifiers, DACs, or speakers, and realized that most of them previously owned a Naim system. So the natural conclusion here would be that the Teddy Pardo sound appeals to people who like the Naim sound. It may be true but again not the full answer... the answer I think is in the fact that those people not only owned Naim equipment but their Naim equipment was powered by Teddy Pardo power supplies!

Given that in order to keep our prices as low as possible, we sell directly with no dealers or distributors, people who who own our power supplies feel more encouraged to buy a whole Teddy Pardo system, then people who have just heard about them... and people who own our power supplies own Naim equipment...

It's interesting to see how our minds builds associations :)

I think your reputation started in the diy section with your TeddyRegs and Super TRs which found much favour for upgrading Naim kit.

Guilty as charged M'lud. My first piece of Teddy equipment was a T-cap plus which was like putting rocket fuel in my Naim 202. There was no going back and I now am the happy owner of the T pre, monos and dac. The best bit is that the upgrade urge has gone away. I have previously described the Teddy sound as Naim on steroids. The two amps are actually different in sonic signature but I suspect that the T amp is the one Naim want to build but cannot as it would diminish the rest of the range. I have heard the statement and could not understand what the fuss was about.

I guess I bought TP amplification because it seemed to be a good way to get off the Naim money-go-round, but without compromising on sound quality. Not necessarily the same sound, but similar and as far as I'm concerned, it's done what I hoped it would as I haven't thought about changing amps since.

TP speakers may arrive in Glasgow one day when my pennies are flowing aplenty. Not in the immediate future, but one day...

I had an idea just the other day Teddy about the variable/fixed output terminals; could a switch be introduced to allow end users to switch that output according to their needs i.e. fixed or variable? I think Naim amps have a switch for alternating between Line Input and AV Bypass, but I wonder if the same sort of thing could be done on the TP amp's fixed/variable Output. If yes, it would mean users could just as easily connect a line-level headphone amp at some point even if those terminals have been used for bi-amping. Too late for my amp of course, if at all possible, but just a thought for the future.

I guess I bought TP amplification because it seemed to be a good way to get off the Naim money-go-round, but without compromising on sound quality. Not necessarily the same sound, but similar and as far as I'm concerned, it's done what I hoped it would as I haven't thought about changing amps since.

TP speakers may arrive in Glasgow one day when my pennies are flowing aplenty. Not in the immediate future, but one day...

I had an idea just the other day Teddy about the variable/fixed output terminals; could a switch be introduced to allow end users to switch that output according to their needs i.e. fixed or variable? I think Naim amps have a switch for alternating between Line Input and AV Bypass, but I wonder if the same sort of thing could be done on the TP amp's fixed/variable Output. If yes, it would mean users could just as easily connect a line-level headphone amp at some point even if those terminals have been used for bi-amping. Too late for my amp of course, if at all possible, but just a thought for the future.

A balance control would be on my wish list for the preamp.

On the dime. I bought a Teddy XPS which blew the other XPS out of the water. The PR1/MB100's set up I subsequently bought gave me superb amplification & sound quality & as Windhoek sagely observed took me off of the money go round. I will probably not buy anything until we get the PR1000/MB 1000 one kilowatt set up that we are all waiting for. Very happy boy me.

Interesting that the op manages to mention naim even more than 11 times in the first post.

If anyone is trying to suggest a relationship I would suggest it's you.

I'd certainly agree with your sentiments concerning the marked difference in the relative qualities of your equipment as opposed to the Salisbury offering.

Interesting that the op manages to mention naim even more than 11 times in the first post.

If anyone is trying to suggest a relationship I would suggest it's you.

I'd certainly agree with your sentiments concerning the marked difference in the relative qualities of your equipment as opposed to the Salisbury offering.
Do I detect a slightly acerbic tone? :D

I'd say that being talked about in the context of offering an equal or better product compared to an established market leader is a good thing.

The source of the associative link to Naim is entirely clear, it comes from PFM and the connection of original Teddy regs and STR's with Naim equipment. In fact Teddy's user title used to be "I had to change my Naim"

So the answer is "it's your own damned fault!" Mr Pardo

Interesting, I was thinking about just this earlier and was going to start a thread (I may still do).

My first piece of teddy gear was the TXPS to power my Ndac, mainly for the reason that the Naim equivalent was just too expensive. However I was so impressed with the results that I investigated further into Teddys products.

I have recently come into ownership of the Teddydac which I am directly comparing against my Ndac+TXPS through my Proac D20Rs as I type. There are definitely similarities that can be drawn between the two types of presentation, however the differences are larger than I had anticipated. There are aspects of both that I like to a more or lesser degree. If I had to say or be shot, then I would probably say that the Teddydac sounds very listenable with everything I play. It really does the subtleties well. The Ndac on the otherhand really excels on certain tracks and albums, but can be harder to listen to on others as it's strengths seem to be at the expense of other areas of the performance.

As has been mentioned by Teddy himself, I expect the comparisons between the two brands are made because of the number of Naim users that enhance the equipment they own with a Teddy psu or have jumped ship altogether.

I find this fascinating, as I have never* really listened to any Naim, and never any Teddy Pardo at all! I didn't like the look of Naim in the 70s, and haven't felt the need to change. Not knocking it, BTW, just outside my universe. But valves, especially DHTs, ah, now you're talking!
* Someone had a Naim CDP which sounded OK to me.

Teddy

Great and very clever infomercial. At least that's what we call them on this side of the pond. Maybe a product placement on PFM is a better description.

Why are you compared to Naim?

1. Your early products cleverly piggybacked on a large existing customer base by building alternative power supplies for Naim products at much lower prices.

2. Your pricing structure was made possible by your decision not to have a distribution , dealer, or repair network. You offered a 30 day money back guarrantee which essentially places a lot of the purchase risk on the customer at little cost to your business.

3. In lieu of distribution, dealer, and repair support you cultivated a presence on this website that was both friendly and helpful. By doing so you gained supporters and advocates for your business model on PFM.

4. Many of your buyers liked your product and recommended it to others. The cost structure appealed to those liking to get a good deal and perhaps to share their good judgement to others. But as noted above, cost is cost. There is no free lunch.

5. Britain is Israel's second largest trading partner after the U.S but it is smaller and,in Naim, offered a manufacturer who's design ethos of seperating out power supplies offered an easier entrance to the market.

6. Your sound and product quality is appreciated by many and that, with your costing structure, has been the reason for your success.

But to be fair it is a very competitive market with other manufacturers, including Naim, producing great sounding product (newDR) as well. Buyers have many choices and can choose the sound and level of support they're comfortable with and can afford.

People often describe our audio products as alternative to Naim, as the next gen Naim, as better than Naim, etc. I have recently read a review of our i80a in a Hifi magazine were on the first half page the word Naim was mentioned 11 times!

Don't be shy, please do tell us which review that is.............

Google Naim, then Google teddy pardo. It's a time honoured strategy. Dog and pony show.

Another related question. Why do so many refer to Naim ownership as the upgrade merry go round? I've had my Naim amps for years and outside cleaning them I've upgraded nowt!! It's easy.

Another related question. Why do so many refer to Naim ownership as the upgrade merry go round? I've had my Naim amps for years and outside cleaning them I've upgraded nowt!! It's easy.

Because they have little or no self-control and want to place the blame on anyone but themselves.

It's a clever money making idea from Naim. By making there always be something slightly better than what you've got, it plays on your mind insidiously that you could have better.
Clearly from the Naim forums there is rampant insecurity in what some own, fuelled by others trying to justify their excesses.
The DR upgrade plays on this too, the thought that what you've got could be better. Drives some people crazy.
I think it is a psychological illness actually, being lucratively and legally exploited.

As far as I'm aware, I came up with the Naim money-go-round phrase and imo, for good reason. The Naim business model is concentric as new clients can dip their toes into Naimworld with an entry-level product and upgrade each time they go round to their dealer till one owns the latest and most expensive amplifier. Clients can even go buy concentrically: start with cheapest integrated> buy PS> buy cheapest pre> buy better PS> buy better integrated> buy PS> buy even better pre... and so on.

I'm not implying there's anything wrong with the model, it works for Naim and many people, and their amps deliver what a lot of people like including me; what they don't do imo is deliver value for money. Other products give better bang for buck. That's my view.

advertisement

Back