advertisement

Who's having Turkey?

Who's having what?

• Total voters
I'm having vegan this year at a friend's. Got to be better than turkey anyway. Happily never eat turkey ever again, rib of beef is far more rewarding (and much cheaper).

I'll have turkey 'cause I always get (at least) a leg plus whatever else is on the table. I like my grub.

Anyone else having Cthurkey?

ad_122993339-e1387285185974.jpg

At least everyone gets a leg.

I am lobbying for goose but am usually ignored.

Don't ask, just come home with one.

That's what I did last year (even though I don't eat meat myself) and they want it again this year.
I'm a bit of a traditionalist and got it into my head that this is more true to the Stereotypical Christmas as invented by Dickens*. It's probably completely inaccurate anyway, but I don't care about that (which is just as well as I'm having fish).

*It occurred to me a while ago that Christmas as portrayed on Christmas cards, TV adverts, shop windows, the "American Traditional English Christmas" model, etc is entirely Victorian and entirely the product of Charles Dickens, to the degree that any 'home at Christmas' mental image prior to that is greyed out. Quite how he did this single-handedly, and probably incidentally, remains a mystery.

It occurred to me a while ago that Christmas as portrayed on Christmas cards, TV adverts, shop windows, the "American Traditional English Christmas" model, etc is entirely Victorian and entirely the product of Charles Dickens, to the degree that any 'home at Christmas' mental image prior to that is greyed out. Quite how he did this single-handedly, and probably incidentally, remains a mystery.

I think to lay the whole thing at the fault if Dickens is unfair. He was mostly just reflecting changes that were occurring in society. Quite a lot of the 'christmas inflation" came from Victoria and Albert themselves, with Albert importing many of the customs we accept today from Northern Europe for his family, which were then copied by those following these selebs. Cards and the benign Santa are a North American invention. I prefer the original Santa who didn't so much as reward nice children as eat the naughty ones.

Certainly 200 years ago Christmas was half a day off and some off-key harmonies. Maybe some nuts.

The Dickens propaganda probably helped perpetuate the whole ghastly thing. But that's journalism for you.

I prefer the original Santa who didn't so much as reward nice children as eat the naughty ones.

Samiclaus and Schmutzli here in Switzerland - they visit your house and play good guy/bad guy in front of the kids depending on what they have done well and...less well.

Pretty benign nowadays, although Schmutzli still looks scarey. 40 odd years ago though, and my ex-wife used to be sh*t scared of the visits :)

advertisement

Back