advertisement

Who's having Turkey?

Who's having what?

• Total voters
Previously: Rouladen (beef)
Now: Field Roast Celebration Roast w/ Herbes de Provence (vegan)

A nice Norfolk Black turkey for us. We had goose one year but I was too befuddled with drink to work out how to carve the blessed thing.

The best bit for me is later in the evening when the turkey's almost cold & I have big slices in freshly-baked crusty rolls, well buttered, with pickled onions. Gives me the most awful indigestion but it's worth it!

No need to smuggle,
Almost certainly the oldest turkey breed in Britain, Norfolk black turkeys quickly became recognised as a premier turkey breed in East Anglia.

Throughout the 17th century, Norfolk black turkeys were driven in flocks from Norfolk to be sold in London. Their feet were tarred and wrapped in hessian to protect them during their epic journey.
as they have been driven across the counytry for ages http://www.norfolkblackturkey.co.uk/history.html

My favourite is venison..usually a Roe haunch or saddle, depending on what is in the freezer from recent stalking successes.

Sods Law, before the AGA packed up today, I bought the Lidl 3 bird roast.

It's a pregnant chav holding a dead pigeon with a turkey twizzler up it's arse.

I have decided on a little fish based something rather along the lines of http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/06/jack-monroe-fish-tagine-recipe, had this a few times but must remember to be not too heavy with the paprika.

Thanks for this, I've got a tin of mandarin segments in the fridge, now I know what to do with them.

I'll have a turkey at some point but on Christmas Day I'm going traditional - Lahori fish starter, Handi lamb and chickpea rice. Traditional Pakistani. :)

That looks fantastic - I'm going to try that.
I'll use my Spanish El Avion Pimenton smoked paprika

In the southern hemisphere its too damn hot over Christmas for any 'traditional' sit-down mid-afternoon meal. Slaving over a hot stove when the mercury is hovering around the mid-30s Centigrade is not a pastime designed to bring out the best in anyone...

So, this year, courtesy of #1 daughter, we'll be having 2Kg of king-sized prawns between the four of us. An electric frying pan will dominate the Christmas lunch table and the prawns will be cycled through the pan and onto plates as required. King-sized prawns translate to ~16-20 prawns per Kg and are supplied de-veined and cleaned. Sides will include rice, a green salad and Portuguese rolls.

Dessert, courtesy of #2 daughter, will be a Tiramisu...

The only head-nod to tradition will be the crackers to be pulled before fingers get all greasy with lemon-butter... :)

Wife will be relaxed having been freed from any bonds of culinary servitude, the rest of us will bask in the peace that this brings - and no-one will be bloated and uncomfortable after what is a menu more suited to this climate.

If, as is expected, Christmas Day is a real steamer - a post-prandial dunk in the swimming pool will help to augment the cooling down provided by cold lager.

Before, during and after lunch, the atmosphere will be boosted by playing the most appropriate music for the occasion - Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor? :) - at a level to allow appreciation from outside the house on the patio overlooking the pool and garden.

The only screw-up this year will be the gifts - which, we've just been advised, will only be delivered on Dec 30th as Santa has fallen foul of the collapsing infrastructure and misunderstood sign-language...

To all on PFM:

Have a magnificent Christmas and may 2014 bring tranquility and pleasure to you and yours!

UPDATE (25 DEC @ 16H20):
Well, the weather decided to pull a fast one and turned out overcast with intermittent drizzle & rain with the temperature hovering around 20 dec C - which turned out to be ideal - the prawns have vanished - a dozen each - and we're currently enjoying a break before dessert which probably won't be needed for another hour or two. Two lagers for me and some local sparkling wine for the girls has left everyone feeling filled with good humour. I scored a BluRay copy of "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" and will now settle down to enjoy it...

Sounds wonderful DevillEars.

I'd completely forgotten about electric frying pans, we don't tend to have them in the UK, I discovered them many moons ago on an extended trip to Australia in Cairnes.

Good memories.

Happy Christmas All.

advertisement

Back