advertisement

Who has heard the new Proac Tablette 10?

Based on my experience of the P3ESR's at home I would say they were warmer and with more bass.

But that was in a different environment and with different electronics. Maybe side by side in the same room they might perform similarly.

To be honest I wouldn't want anything warmer than the Tablettes, but then I prefer them with more space around them than seems to be the norm.

Went to have another listen to the Proac 10' and Ophidians. Spent a couple of hours listening and messing with the position of the speakers.

No matter what I tried the Ophidians were better than the Proacs. I went in really wanting to like the Proacs. Maybe on different, heavier stands the would sound better.

I also tried the Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers and enjoyed them too. Just not as much as the Ophidians.

Quite interesting

I have never heard of the Ophidians before but would love to try them if they are that good
I have no idea of their reputation or how long they have been into business

My point in addition, buy them and later on want something else, they sure wont keep value as a new pair Proac
This issue should be considered as well, they seem quite expensive allready
I guess they are selling in retail not direct ?
Just last year I purchased a pair Kralk bc30, they were well below £500, that must have been before Brexit and they sell direct only
Maybe not a fair compare but foods for thought

Quite interesting

I have never heard of the Ophidians before but would love to try them if they are that good
I have no idea of their reputation or how long they have been into business

My point in addition, buy them and later on want something else, they sure wont keep value as a new pair Proac
This issue should be considered as well, they seem quite expensive allready
I guess they are selling in retail not direct ?
Just last year I purchased a pair Kralk bc30, they were well below £500, that must have been before Brexit and they sell direct only
Maybe not a fair compare but foods for thought

The Ophidians are amazing. As far as I can tell the company has been around for around 4 years and are sold through a few dealers at home and overseas.

I have to agree with you though about resale value. I am concerned too that as a small manufacturer they will decrease in value very quickly. There is a pair of their floorstanders on eBay that are only a few months old for less than half of their new price.

Kralk are sold directly and through a handful of dealers here - they are now around £575 in the UK. Again I am not sure how these would hold their value either.

This is why I am leaning towards the Proacs. They did sound superb too and not too far behind the Ophidians.

What are the bass mid drivers in the Ophidians? They look tiny (I recognise the Seas tweeter so have a sense of scale)!

Shucks. So the Tablette 10s do not sound as good as the Harbeth P3ESR? It sounded more lightweight with less bass than the P3ESR?

Absolutely not. I have both and I prefer the Tablette 10, bigger image, nice dynamics.

Absolutely not. I have both and I prefer the Tablette 10, bigger image, nice dynamics.

+1

Anyone who likes small none ported speakers should try the Proacs within their home, to me these sound way beyond their price and placed on heavy stands deliver a sound that I haven't experienced before.

I believe they are made by Dayton Audio - not familiar with them.

Dayton Audio is a house brand for Parts Express, a US DIY speaker vendor.

Maybe this one?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...luminum-cone-full-range-driver-8-ohm--290-210

Or this?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...luminum-cone-full-range-driver-8-ohm--290-226

Some of the higher-end Dayton drivers are supplied by Usher, these 3 1/2" units look kind of Tang Band ish to me. Most of their stuff is at least decent.

I have to agree with you though about resale value. I am concerned too that as a small manufacturer they will decrease in value very quickly. There is a pair of their floorstanders on eBay that are only a few months old for less than half of their new price.

If you enjoy the Ophidians more, does it really matter if they don't hold their value quite as well as some competing brands? If you get more pleasure from them for a little more money, that does not seem like a bad bargain.

Far point but I have a feeling that I would have to look at my amp if I got the Ophidian speaker as looking at the specs the Croft power may struggle.

The amp during the dem was 100w per channel and they needed some volume to open up.

Just musing whilst sat listening to them- I shudder to think what I'd need to spend to upgrade from these and where I'd even look to achieve better than what these can do.

Bigger speakers undoubtedly do "more bass" but in comparison it's ported, bloated bass that just sounds crap. I have a few speakers lying around at the minute and doing some swapping around just shows how special the little Tablettes are, I'd be amazed if even the bigger standmount ProAcs are an upgrade, unless bass is absolutely your thing and it needs to rattle your floorboards for you to be happy this could be an end-game speaker.

Out of interest is there anything along the same lines that offers a similar flavour that is an obvious upgrade path? I've never heard any of the bigger BBC style speakers like LS5/9s or BC1s or the bigger Harbeths (M30.1?).

Most speakers soon plummet in value from their original RRP to be fair.

Most speakers soon plummet in value from their original RRP to be fair.

But the bigger "named" brands hold onto it a lot more and are always in demand, the smaller ones nobody has heard of lose about half straight away and can take an age to move on.

Little update from my end- The Richard Allan A21 has been needing a service for a while, so before I sent it off I was on the lookout for a relatively cheap class A/B amp of moderate output to substitute in. I picked up a Cyrus 8VS from the classifieds and it's proved quite the eye opener, whilst I don't listen at high volume levels it seems to have imparted a certain control over things and it seems, for want of a better word, more open and stunningly clear.

I'm not sure if this is just proof that the A21 is indeed drastically in need of a service, but I do have an almost new Marantz PM something-or-other and that didn't make the A21 sound this broke so seemingly the 8VS is doing something.

This little Cyrus might be hard to replace unless the A21 comes back significantly improved. I'm certainly hearing more from the little Tab 10s anyway...

Had a listen to the Tab10 and the Ophidians (at the same store as Robby I suspect)
I found the Proacs very nice in a damning-with-faint-praise way, but the Oph's are a bit special. The Neat Iota also got my attention - I'd take either of them over the Tabs, and both leave more money in my pocket...

I am new owner of Proac DB3 speakers. I must say that I like them more than my ATC scm19. They are small, but still better bass performance than scm19! Room 22 m2, NAD C388, Naim nd5/xp5 xs,

advertisement

Back