• Neat Ioata Xplorer

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Harbeth C7

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Kudos Super 10A

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Matching the speakers to the room is one side of the equation, but how/by what they are driven is very much the other - personally I have yet to hear passive ATCs sounding right (the actives, on the other hand do rock etc very well indeed) - you really need to try things out: I agree that the D2s would likely work with your amp, as would some Heco Direkt (I had the size down from @Lurch , excellent, dynamic full range sound, but just couldn't live with two massive iPhone like things dominating the room) - beyond that, whether your amp will have the dreaded "synergy" with any of the other speakers mentioned seems like a bit of a lottery

Whatever you decide, I would suggest leaving something in the tank for a bit of room treatment - at least treat the first reflection points 👍

My taste in music does not include classical or jazz!
I prefer classic rock and hard rock.
But my favourite is prog rock, like Yes, King Crimson or Pink Floyd.
Listening distance 2.5m
70cm from the sides and the back wall.

Current amplifier : Exposure 3010.
You have a nice sized room and either speakers should do very well in that space… but the synergy with your Exposure integrated and your personal taste over the results are things that makes this matter impossible to answer.
Also your specific taste in music falls a bit on the side of my preference for jazz and blues.

I recommend that you take the Exposure and listen to some of the speakers at a nearby dealer with the change of trying in your room before the purchase.
Oh, and I guess you can check on small floor standers - for bigger sound and bass delivery - because your room can accommodate them.
I recommend Totem and the new Quad Revela looks very promising indeed.
Have fun :)

For your musical taste JBL!
This is a very good recommendation.
I have pretty much the same listening diet with lots of rock, metal, pop, electronica and prog and no jazz or classical. I use 12" JBL studio monitors in a slightly smaller room and they work brilliantly. The big paper cones produce a generous fast bass that energises the room differently from the smaller long throw drivers in speakers such as ATC.
Of course its very much a matter of taste as to which you may prefer but its worth seeking out for a listen as it may be just what you are seeking.

Matching the speakers to the room is one side of the equation, but how/by what they are driven is very much the other - personally I have yet to hear passive ATCs sounding right (the actives, on the other hand do rock etc very well indeed) - you really need to try things out: I agree that the D2s would likely work with your amp, as would some Heco Direkt (I had the size down from @Lurch , excellent, dynamic full range sound, but just couldn't live with two massive iPhone like things dominating the room) - beyond that, whether your amp will have the dreaded "synergy" with any of the other speakers mentioned seems like a bit of a lottery

Whatever you decide, I would suggest leaving something in the tank for a bit of room treatment - at least treat the first reflection points 👍
I heard the passive ATC 40s with a Naim NSC222, NAP250 plus NPX300 and was blown away.
I listen similar music as the OP.
Personal taste of course.

I ended up buying active ATC 50s plus the NSC222.
I figured money saved from not buying the NAP250 and NPX300 would be better spent on the active ATC 50's rather than passive ATC 40s and additional Naim boxes.
It's made things in my rig much simpler.

Very similar size room to my office/listening room....I've got a pair of Monitor Audio MA3's MK2 (Spendor BC3 contenders) on stands...they work really well that there's no change in speaker dept. for the last 5 years....

But my favourite is prog rock, like Yes, King Crimson or Pink Floyd
You may be surprised by how much you like a pair of Klipsch Heresys with this preference. I think with a stand mount speaker you would always feel the need to crank it up to get the room energized. So then you might feel the urge to get a sub, eventually realizing you want a floor stander…

Hi, If you try the ATC 19’s also try the 40’s. I was advised to go 40’s and they were great, but I also loved my 12’s with SL driver so things could sound slightly different. I have same size room and they were fab, I do have 2 subs with them. I used the 40p’s with a Nord and it shone, if you could try everything I’d have tried Naim due to recommendations! Brilliant line up btw.
speed

You only live once - Klipsch Cornwalls
a-big-stereo-in-a-small-new-york-city-apartment-v0-kuzqw74qfwjb1.jpg
Beautiful room there.

Does anyone here know the Russel K speakers?
Red 100 or 120?
Prior to PMC's I had Red 50's. Brilliant wee speaker that I only changed in the search for more bass - I did not get on with subs despite trying several. Can highly recommend the brand - Russell Kaufman personally answered e-mail queries around set up. Price appears to have risen substantially - just like everything else I suppose.

advertisement

Back