advertisement

which reference class A, A/B amplifier, under £1k second hand?

Always recommend a Bryston B60R, should be doable under budget, easy to seperate off the power section if that's what you want (Essentially the the 2B-LP).

Also a great match with KEF in my experience with the Reference 201/2 and Three-Two.

Hold their value well too (even if out of 20-yr warranty) so if you want to move it on you should easily get your money back.

I'm selling a Quad 405-2 with the full set of Net-Audio upgrades in the classified section.
Thanks for pointing that out. Some of the responses I got suggested that I will probably need a preamp, rather than controlling the volume from my bluesound node or pc. Which of your preamps has worked best? As you may have noticed, I was almost convinced I should try a 909 or QSP. Any experience with those and how they compare to the 405-2?

Also, thanks for making me aware of these old Japanese amps. There seems to be a variety of refurbished amps, including ones suggested on this thread, on sale at reasonable prices. Any thoughts about these vs newer models?
They aren't fashionable as they didn't seem to get much press in the UK, but have quite the following in other parts of the world. Finding one with UK mains voltage, freshly serviced (although perhaps less likely to need top to toe refurbs unlike cheaper UK amps perhaps?), And assuming that you have the rack space and don't mind heaving 20kgs of metal around, they could be a great option. I do like class A amps, like many others, but comparing my MF A1 to an Accuphase or Pioneer probably wouldn't be fair...

They aren't fashionable as they didn't seem to get much press in the UK, but have quite the following in other parts of the world. Finding one with UK mains voltage, freshly serviced (although perhaps less likely to need top to toe refurbs unlike cheaper UK amps perhaps?), And assuming that you have the rack space and don't mind heaving 20kgs of metal around, they could be a great option. I do like class A amps, like many others, but comparing my MF A1 to an Accuphase or Pioneer probably wouldn't be fair...

I think my problem with these is that I don't know which particular models would be interesting. For example, I found
ye-olde-hi-fi-shoppe on ebay, who seems to be restoring some impressive old amps (from what I can tell), but I don't have the knowledge to assess the ones he's offering, like for example the Yamaha, the Sony, or the Marantz.

Always recommend a Bryston B60R, should be doable under budget, easy to seperate off the power section if that's what you want (Essentially the the 2B-LP).

Also a great match with KEF in my experience with the Reference 201/2 and Three-Two.

Hold their value well too (even if out of 20-yr warranty) so if you want to move it on you should easily get your money back.

Thanks for that. I cannot see a single one for sale at the moment. Will look into it.

The 606 is the damn-same thing as the 909, but better-built/better parts (the 909 was the offshored version of the 606 when Quad was in trouble; but no less a very, very good amp)

So, curiously, the 306 is actually the final (4th gen) development, & my pick of the lot - might be the 'perfect compact 50w amplifier.'

.. which doesn't mean the OP will like it: 'in all matters of sound, the final audition comes to the ear' - said Lord Kelvin. Who knew a thing or two about ...a thing or two.

Last edited:
was almost convinced I should try a 909 or QSP. Any experience with those and how they compare to the 405-2?

A friend had a 606II which was old and un-serviced.
A fresh recapped 306 was much better, indeed on easy driven loudspeakers.
Tells me those old amps could need service or attention.

I once tried a 2qute direct into a power amp using a MacBook and the volume was unusable. Your setup may be different though. Something like a hugo would be a better bet I imagine. If all you need is a volume control a passive pre could be a cheap option.

FWIW...

I had a Cambridge 840C (v2). If the 850w is anything like that it was good and competent (powerful, clean) but a bit dry and matter-of-fact. Possibly not what you're looking for if moving on from a class D.

Also had an Artera power amp. That I liked, actually moving on to it after a Hypex Ncore class D. It had the touch of warmth and believability I wanted - and tonnes of power to boot. If the QSP and previous are like that, could be good. (Wasn't so keen on the Artera Play pre/DAC though - nothing special and it also failed dramatically).

Have also tried a Qutest in to a power amp, albeit a class A one:
- Using Node as volume: OK but a bit thin/flat.
- Via a nice passive pre: much better but still seemed a bit reserved at lower volumes. That's vs the A/B integrated I tried which also had a passive pre section but must have been a better match.

advertisement

Back