advertisement

which reference class A, A/B amplifier, under £1k second hand?

Using your PC or Node to control the volume is unlikely to yield satisfactory results. Get a nice used integrated from a well-known manufacturer, and be prepared to buy and sell a few before you settle on something.
I do agree this is generally recognised to be the case. However, I’d really like to know if anyone has experienced any noticeable degradation when using digital volume control from a decent source such as the Bluesound Node into a Qutest or similar level DAC.

I do agree this is generally recognised to be the case. However, I’d really like to know if anyone has experienced any noticeable degradation when using digital volume control from a decent source such as the Bluesound Node into a Qutest or similar level DAC.

The volume control from the Node, compared to any analogue or even decent digital preamp, kind of sucks, there is an obvious softening and loss of detail, but it will depends on how resolving components further up the chain are as to whether this will bother you or not.

In stark contrast to a Bel Canto Dac that had excellent volume control, possibly part digital?

Before having a Denafrips Pontus II I had a Mytek Brooklyn (that is now in a headphones setup).

It was said that the Brooklyn had two very good volume controls (one digital and one analogue) so I tried using it directly into the power section of my integrated amp. The result was a significant (at least to my ears) reduction in sound quality vs using the integrated's pre amp.

As always, I'm sure results will be system dependent.

I’m a big fan of Naim but found a Quad 909 a much better fit with the Kef Model One speakers I owned a while back. Especially if you are trying to tame a slight harshness. I agree with the posters who recommend an integrated or power/pre with the Qutest. Think the 909 and pre would be around your budget.

Why not the qutest straight into the 909? The 99 pre is 'okay' but direct would be better if you don't have any other sources.

Many thanks for all these suggestions. Food for thought.

I guess one thing I could do is try the qutest direct into the 909, and, in the meantime, figure out what preamp would work best in this setup? Suggestions?

Also, thanks for making me aware of these old Japanese amps. There seems to be a variety of refurbished amps, including ones suggested on this thread, on sale at reasonable prices. Any thoughts about these vs newer models?

When I owned a 99 series setup, the CDP2 was better direct into the 909, than going through the 99 pre.

There seems to be one quad 909 on ebay at the moment, a bit steeper than a recent sale on wigwam. Is it acceptable practice to ask on this forum if anybody is willing to part with theirs? Being new, I am not sure I am allowed to post in the classifieds section.

I think the quad 909 will make for an interesting comparison with my NAD, maybe adding a preamp if and when. It also seems these amps have a good reputation, so hopefully somebody would like it if it fails the tests.

When I owned a 99 series setup, the CDP2 was better direct into the 909, than going through the 99 pre.

Not 100% my feelings as when I had the same setup I felt the pre slightly edged it, but either way there seemed to be little in it. The 99 pre does have a bunch of useful features like the tilt & bass lift etc. plus all the other regular inputs and phono stage, but if you only have digital sources then yeah the cdp-2 straight into the power amp was a really good option

I'm now using an Elite pre & QSP (pretty much the same as the 99/909 but with some useful tweaks) and am trying to remember not to change it again as it's such an enjoyable system in my room.

There seems to be one quad 909 on ebay at the moment, a bit steeper than a recent sale on wigwam. Is it acceptable practice to ask on this forum if anybody is willing to part with theirs? Being new, I am not sure I am allowed to post in the classifieds section.

I think the quad 909 will make for an interesting comparison with my NAD, maybe adding a preamp if and when. It also seems these amps have a good reputation, so hopefully somebody would like it if it fails the tests.

The elite QSP isn't much more, sometimes the same price, and has a few quality of life features such as a front mounted power button. I'd go for one of those personally, they're basically the same thing and it'd be newer.

The 909 is a superb power amp especially for the money it goes for now.

Later Artera and QSP may be based on 606/909 ?
I believe early 606 were UK made before they moved to Asia manufacture.

They're all current dumping amplifiers much of the same design. The QSP is basically a 909 in a new skin with a few tweaks

No-one ever talks about the 707

I'd much prefer a newer model over a 606 which would need a recap by now

advertisement

Back