advertisement

Which phono stage?

The deleted thread included suggestions for the NVA Phono stage. A bit over the OP's budget, but I can vouch for how good it is being an owner.

I had one of these way back
Great performance but I disliked the cabinet seal
Their s/h value seem pretty much steady though

On MM the NVA showed some heals to my then P75 also in MM mode
The latter was much better imo used as MC stage in Dr T. Mode but thats another story

Sorry , bit off topic ,
how does it compare to Paradise ( thanks for panels they look lovely)

It’s early days for auditioning the RSL (Ryan Sound Labs) stage. However, first impressions are extremely positive with good detail, projection, extension and drive. One area I thought the Paradise still had the edge was fine delicacy, subtle note shaping. Interesting the RSL design uses a similar circuit concept as the Dynavector design. I’m not sure what the retail cost will me yet but I’m afraid it is unlikely to be sub £200 (though it is quite a compact one box design).

Glad you like the panels :).

Oh, forgot to write, there is also a new Jez Arkless design which uses the same operating principle as the Paradise but in a simplified, perhaps more elegant, form. It’s not actually been released into the wild yet but shouldn’t be too long......

Oh, forgot to write, there is also a new Jez Arkless design which uses the same operating principle as the Paradise but in a simplified, perhaps more elegant, form. It’s not actually been released into the wild yet but shouldn’t be too long......

Is that going to be in the OP's £200 budget.

Definitely not I’m afraid. As I wrote in an earlier post (#29), from the experiences the OP has described in this thread I, personally, doubt he will hear any improvement spending £200 (even £400). Anyway, he appears to have bought the Angle Audio unit.

Definitely not I’m afraid. As I wrote in an earlier post (#29), from the experiences the OP has described in this thread I, personally, doubt he will hear any improvement spending £200 (even £400). Anyway, he appears to have bought the Angle Audio unit.

Thanks for doing my listening for me. Could I have the results in writing?

Given my previous thread was hijacked and subsequently deleted for some bizarre & unhelpful contributions, I'll ask again; what's my best bang-for-buck phono stage for £200 and below? Not interested in homebrew mods or the emperor's new clothes, and I'd prefer to buy new. Running a 1210GR with 2M Bronze into Cyrus 7. Thanks.

Not sure if this classifies as "homebrew mods" but I'd highly recommend it. It's a straightforward build with excellent support. This isn't a "Maplin DIY do it on the cheap" job, it's intended to be a decent stage you can build yourself for a fraction of the price of emperor's new clothes. https://boozhoundlabs.com/collections/all/products/deluxe-phono-peramplifier

Currently running mine off DC (batteries) and it easily outperforms the Trichod Delphini or EAR 834P I've had in the past. Still loves those stages though.

The Boozehound stage has the option to use 2 x Cinemag MC step-up transformers at the flick of a switch.

Steve

You ask for advice.....

Mine was, essentially, save your money. You already wrote the Arkless modified did nothing for you.

This is all in writing.

Usually I run a Rega Fono or Naim phonostage cards with good results and long term satisfaction for me, both solution very cost effective
I have little or no worries with above pricelevels, deck vs phonostage
Offcourse it can become better but sometime its nice putting the kit swapping aside and just enjoy the music even its mullet on the paper.

Once I tried a standard 640P but thought it was sterile and boring, certainly not my cup so horses for ..
I never tried the modded version

This.

I have to confess I'm not a fan of the CA MM/MC stage either. I had one briefly and thought it sounded glassy and noisy compared to the internal stages in the Linn Kairn pre, Quad 33/303 & Exposure (Super) XV or X - all of which do a whole lot more and can be had for around £400 S/H. One of the few truly disappointing hi-fi purchases I've made - I was expecting something as great as the DACMagic.

If it were I, I'd be tempted to sell the Cyrus and the CA and spend the takings and my spare cash on an older S/H pre/power or integrated with a decent internal stage.

(Note the Kairn is a pre amp, so unlikely to form part of any solution within your budget)

This.

I have to confess I'm not a fan of the CA MM/MC stage either. I had one briefly and thought it sounded glassy and noisy compared to the internal stages in the Linn Kairn pre, Quad 33/303 & Exposure (Super) XV or X - all of which do a whole lot more and can be had for around £400 S/H. One of the few truly disappointing hi-fi purchases I've made - I was expecting something as great as the DACMagic.

If it were I, I'd be tempted to sell the Cyrus and the CA and spend the takings and my spare cash on an older S/H pre/power or integrated with a decent internal stage.

(Note the Kairn is a pre amp, so unlikely to form part of any solution within your budget)

This is the sensible way to go but I feel the OP won't listen as he appears to be one of those people who has already decided what he is going to do and just looking for people to agree with him.

Its unfortunate that he didn't start a thread before he blew his cash on a basic Pioneer. I suppose its the modern equivalent of their famous PL12D that I bought all those years ago. However for the cash spent on the new Pioneer he could have jumped ahead into the world of real HiFi by buying s/h. This also gives the advantage that if it doesn't suit it can be sold at little if any loss and another TT/arm tried. Too late now though.

Cheers,

DV

You ask for advice.....

Mine was, essentially, save your money. You already wrote the Arkless modified did nothing for you.

This is all in writing.

I was under the impression that the Arkless work was an upgrade and not a modification. That is the case and sockets and perhaps some of the power supply was retained but the phono stage was designed and built by Jez using new components. In which case the two stages would sound different whether it was liked or not.

Cheers,

DV

This is the sensible way to go but I feel the OP won't listen as he appears to be one of those people who has already decided what he is going to do and just looking for people to agree with him.

Its unfortunate that he didn't start a thread before he blew his cash on a basic Pioneer. I suppose its the modern equivalent of their famous PL12D that I bought all those years ago. However for the cash spent on the new Pioneer he could have jumped ahead into the world of real HiFi by buying s/h. This also gives the advantage that if it doesn't suit it can be sold at little if any loss and another TT/arm tried. Too late now though.

Cheers,

DV

Ouch! Who's upset you? Of course I hadn't decided - that's why I came on what I'd assumed to be a friendly, non-snobby forum to ask for advice & suggestions, which plenty of members have offered in this and the previous Arkless-Wars thread that got deleted. I listened to that advice and with testimony from other sites, decided to give the Angle Audio unit a try. I'd never heard of the company before the name came up on here, which I'd suggest sprinkles bullsh*t-dust on your theory. As I've said previously, I didn't need to change anything - the vanilla CA unit was doing a perfunctory job - but with a little overtime to my name burning a hole in my pocket and the xmas shopping done, I thought I would treat myself to a bit of kit.
To those who've offered suggestions and advice, thank you. To those who've somehow found material in this to fuel their hi-fi snobbery, congratulations. No, really; you should have a sub-forum all of your own.

What Pioneer??

"He could have jumped into the world of real hifi..." (shakes head...)

I came on what I'd assumed to be a friendly, non-snobby forum to ask for advice & suggestions,

Please don't be tempted to look in the off topic section at some of the political threads.
Although I guess if you did, then the audio room would appear to be very friendly and non-snobbish :)

Please don't be tempted to look in the off topic section at some of the political threads.
Although I guess if you did, then the audio room would appear to be very friendly and non-snobbish :)

Ignore this advice, go and ask about proper coffee and beard oil.

And if you want to see some real insults have the temerity to say Waitrose is rubbish.

Not sure if this classifies as "homebrew mods" but I'd highly recommend it. It's a straightforward build with excellent support. This isn't a "Maplin DIY do it on the cheap" job, it's intended to be a decent stage you can build yourself for a fraction of the price of emperor's new clothes. https://boozhoundlabs.com/collections/all/products/deluxe-phono-peramplifier

Currently running mine off DC (batteries) and it easily outperforms the Trichod Delphini or EAR 834P I've had in the past. Still loves those stages though.

The Boozehound stage has the option to use 2 x Cinemag MC step-up transformers at the flick of a switch.

Steve

Interesting design. past experience tells me that such a simple circuit will have quite bit of character and have sound quality that is very variable with PS quality etc. OTOH you have put it up against some decent stuff. Might have to lash one of these up and have a play.

Don't start me on politics....

Cheers,

DV

Oh dear, another HiFi snob appears out of the woodwork.

advertisement

Back