advertisement

Which phono stage?

springer

pfm Member
Given my previous thread was hijacked and subsequently deleted for some bizarre & unhelpful contributions, I'll ask again; what's my best bang-for-buck phono stage for £200 and below? Not interested in homebrew mods or the emperor's new clothes, and I'd prefer to buy new. Running a 1210GR with 2M Bronze into Cyrus 7. Thanks.

If you are looking new and the Angle doesn't interest you, then I'd say demo a Project DS.

If you entertain used then a Dino1 (upgrade path) or MF XLPS were what I mentioned on the old thread. You might get a P75 Mk1 used around that price if you are patient.

No my interest has been piqued by the Angle options. Seems to be a basic unit then the Audiophile+ model. Anyone shed light? Seems they do fuss-free returns so may go this route. Thanks.

Mrs Springer would love that walnut trim! Interesting. Wasn't wanting all the switching options - just MM plug n' play - but will investigate, thanks.

No my interest has been piqued by the Angle options. Seems to be a basic unit then the Audiophile+ model. Anyone shed light? Seems they do fuss-free returns so may go this route. Thanks.

I have the Audiophile model and can highly recommend it.

The 2M Bronze is a great cart and IMHO needs better than a £200 phono stage.

I'd suggest saving up for a while and looking higher up the food chain, I had a 2M black with a whest 2 and that was a great combo.

For up to £400 you could get one of the following

Whest2
DV P75
Trichord Dino
Whest PS.20
Lounge LCR (very good reviews on this)

I'd suggest saving up for a while and looking higher up the food chain, I had a 2M black with a whest 2 and that was a great combo.

Whest2
DV P75
Trichord Dino
Whest PS.20

Why spend more than £200?

Whest2
DV P75
Trichord Dino
Whest PS.20

Thanks lebowski, but £200 is my limit - through choice, really! I'd rather spend the other 200 on wax.

Because more expensive phonostages can sound considerably better.

I’m currently auditioning the new stage by Ryan Sound Labs.

If you can stretch to £300 Heed make good stages never felt the need to upgrade mine, sits great on the end of my Gyrodec with DV-20x2.

advertisement

Back