advertisement

Which European city, end of September?

Steven, Vienna is 7 hours by train and Bratislava 9 including the change. What makes it quicker to go to Paris is the speed of the train.

Have a look at www.bahn.de and you'll get the hang of it.

Take a look at Dresden, some interesting museums and galleries. You also get a hint of the old Eastern German behaviour with some of their opening hours.

Can I suggest Derby?? We have a new velodrome, several modern fast food outlets, two cinemas, and there was a venue where some of the UKs best second-tier tribute bands have appeared, until it was closed due to fire damage a year ago.

If the OP is in Frankfurt and hasn't already done so I would spend the time exploring the Rhine Valley by boat. Its only 30 Euro for a whole days hop on/off but you can easily spend 4 days exploring picturesque places like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorelei#/media/File:Loreley_mit_tal_von_linker_rheinseite.jpg Pick up the boat at Mainz.

Boat scedules http://kdrhine.com/rhineschedule.htm

You can keep the cost down by staying at small guest houses and you may catch some early wine festivals. Around this time they have 'young' wine thats cloudy and still fermenting in the glass. Goes well with the zwiebelkuchen (onion tart)......

Cheers,

DV

The Rhine between Koblenz and Bingen is stunning.

You don't rate Ruedesheim then? I know it can be a bit touristy But a trip over the vineyards in the chair lift and fine views from the top are worth the effort.

I've travelled the Rhine several times when I lived in Germany. Those castles are out of fairy books no?

Cheers,

DV

You cant go wrong with Paris its a great city to visit. Ignore the geezers selling you little towers and you'll be set. Climber the Eiffel tower is not really worth the effort and queuing in my opinion.

:D Distance from the sun does, and that's the point!
I don't want to go to Madrid in July, or London in November. The other way around is great. If I had limitless funds and access to work/accom anywhere I'd move around Europe according to the season. England is marvellous in June and July, France is best in the spring, Spain in Dec and Jan. Probably Italy in October. Further east would be interesting too. I'll stay away from Latvia and Lithuania in January, -20C is hard work.

Good call, I'd steer clear of Paris now, went there for work this year after 20 years and it was sh1t IMO, dirty, crowded, street beggars pestering us all the time, very different indeed to what I remember.

Indeed.

I did try to get that over in a thread a few weeks ago, but it got pulled :confused: ( seems the truth became too controversial )

Thanks for all the replies so far - many of the suggestions are going on our "do these things very soon" list.

The more we look at it, the more appealing Prague is becoming for this particular trip: proximity, cost, food, sights. Seems like a place you could spend a lot of time in, but still get a pretty good taste of it in three days.

I neglected to mention we have a few days before my work begins and a few days after. The after time coincides with the final weekend of Oktoberfest, so we are already booked in a Munich hotel for those days. We went to Munich and Dachau on our last trip, but it was late January and bitterly cold. That same trip we saw Salzburg and Zurich, as well as Colmar and Strasbourg. Something of a whirlwind tour, but loved it.

It's the before time we're trying to fill now, and it's five days total. Figuring in two days for travel, we have a solid three days to spend wherever.

The Rhine River boat tour is on our bucket list for sure, as are Spain and Croatia. Just not sure we can make them work with the time available.

I really love Germany & I'm a real lazy twat, so if I was flying from Frankfurt, Frankfurt it would be. I remember spending one night there in the old town many years ago (Saxonhausen??) & it seemed alright to me. I've also had fantastic nights out in Dusseldorf & Koln. Would love to spend more time in those places & discover Dortmund & Mullheim & Duisberg etc.. One day I'll get to Berlin & other old east cities, but they're a bit of a trek from Frankfurt. Depends on the OP's interests. Mine are lively bars, nice buildings & good food. Museums not really on my list & concentration camps??? WTF? (& I did once get dragged round Dacau).

You don't rate Ruedesheim then? I know it can be a bit touristy But a trip over the vineyards in the chair lift and fine views from the top are worth the effort

I've never been. My usual drive is down the Rhine from Bingen to Koblenz, and then up the Mosel to Trier. I go by car, but you could do the same journey by rail very easily. Lots of places to stop off at.

Thanks for all the replies so far - many of the suggestions are going on our "do these things very soon" list.

The more we look at it, the more appealing Prague is becoming for this particular trip: proximity, cost, food, sights. Seems like a place you could spend a lot of time in, but still get a pretty good taste of it in three days.

I neglected to mention we have a few days before my work begins and a few days after. The after time coincides with the final weekend of Oktoberfest, so we are already booked in a Munich hotel for those days. We went to Munich and Dachau on our last trip, but it was late January and bitterly cold. That same trip we saw Salzburg and Zurich, as well as Colmar and Strasbourg. Something of a whirlwind tour, but loved it.

It's the before time we're trying to fill now, and it's five days total. Figuring in two days for travel, we have a solid three days to spend wherever.

The Rhine River boat tour is on our bucket list for sure, as are Spain and Croatia. Just not sure we can make them work with the time available.

I've been all over Czech (& Slovak) Republic. From Prague, Brno to the shithole backwaters of Chomutov. Prague is probably the last place I would return to. I hate bloody tourist spots & that place is crawling with them. There are a few nice looking areas, but Wensleslas sp? square is very underwhelming.

The after time coincides with the final weekend of Oktoberfest, so we are already booked in a Munich hotel for those days.

Let me know if you need any info re. Munich.

Oktoberfest will be busy. Tables are already sold out, but you can still enjoy the event even if you can't get into a tent. Could still be cold/snowing end of Sept though, so be warned.

If you run short of time, Bamberg is a picturesque town east of Frankfurt.

Me, if I had three days and had never seen Venice, I would spend a day there. It is worth losing a day there and back travelling for.

I was going to red flag Prague, but Strummer's already done that.

I'm afraid you are 15 years too late for Prague unless you are on some tacky stag party.

We were in Prague for four days in June, we stayed in the centre near the Powder Tower so a short walk to the Town Square - not to be mistaken for Wencelas Square.

Plenty of things to see, public transport is excellent and easy to use, so using a tram / bus map you can get around very easily.

Previous time we were there in 1967 when it was very easy to park in the city - I would not want to drive around in it today.

advertisement

Back