advertisement

What's the biggest item of audio equipment you've ever bought?

I did once buy something that looked similar to this:- http://www.vintagerecorders.co.uk/VR_View_Page.asp?IDS=62 but a bit older.

7 foot rack, went down in the Harlech TV lift so fast that it stopped 6 inches below normal floor level.

Now you have my brain awakened....had similar from ITV Bristol but just remembered this which eclipsed it.

studer-a800-24track.montreal.frisson.jpg

Bought from Maida Vale studio a few years ago. Put on the tail lift of a Luton and the front wheels lifted of the ground.

My current Naim DBLs. They've got the advantage of coming in three bits, but once assembled they're pretty weighty.

I once made some speakers out of fitted full height wardrobes with an array or tannoy and some seas drivers and alpine car amps when in my teens. My mum wasn’t too pleased...

I once made some speakers out of fitted full height wardrobes with an array or tannoy and some seas drivers and alpine car amps when in my teens. My mum wasn’t too pleased...

I still fondly remember our folded bass horn built out of /into a 2 x 3 x 1.5 m (6 x 9 x 4.5 ft) steel reinforced concrete stairwell...

My stacked ESL 57s are still a bit, er, imposing in the lounge. A pal has Tannoy special product units that were built by a cabinet maker. 5ft x 3ft x 3ft, 2x hpd 15 a channel, they weigh 220 kg each. No, really. It took 4 removals men to get them in the house.

Klipsch La Scalas.

That was quite an adventure. I picked them up from a house near Huntingdon. The owner was probably in his 70s, an excellent man who I liked immediately. He sat me down overlooking his garden and told me fascinating stories about the war. Then he took me upstairs to his listening room and played all sorts of lovely old classical recordings that sounded fabulous on the La Scalas. I was a bit worried he was making the wrong choice selling them, but he'd decided to go back to ESL57s, which made a lot of sense considering his tastes, and his proximity to Quad.

It was a hot day and a lot of sweat was involved getting them down the stairs and into the boot of my Honda Jazz. Incredibly they just fit, but with the boot open. So then I had to drive down the M11 with an enormous horn speaker hanging out of the back of the boot. I'm never doing that again.

The adventure lasted a month, but they were humoungous, and I couldn't get the positioning right, so I sold them to Tony. Of course, right after the deal was struck, I moved them to the other side of the room and the sound snapped together.

They were pretty special, in spite of the weird bass (i.e. lack of in relation to size). I've not really had another speaker that breathed in the same way. The word 'microdynamics' seems to get a bad press these days, but listening to the La Scalas it makes perfect sense; the air is alive with tiny pulses everywhere.

When I sold them to Tony I drove these speakers up to Lancashire in a van, so this would also be my entry for 'most miles driven for an item of audio equipment'.

Duntech Marquis PCL-500 speakers - 5 feet tall and 51kg each.

These are now sold but I do still have a Yamaha PC-5002M power amplifier - 61kg and two mains leads! I had to get that on the bench this week to re-fit the newly re-bulbed power meter illumination PCBs. My muscles still hurt...

Magnepan 1.7 fetched outside Hamburg and driven back to Aarhus, Denmark in my Skoda Citigo. They were put in the passenger seat which had been tilted all the way back. I could not use the rear gear which I found out when I had to back out from a parking space. A few friendly guys helped me out.

My biggest is quite modest..... Maggie 1.7....

Heaviest Target R2 loudspeaker stands which were for my ProAc Response 2S speeks, which l will not go on about as l will go all silly.:(

advertisement

Back