advertisement

What's going on at Naim?

I read a few posts and I agree with those that say that the world is changing and the way people listen to music change with it. My guess is that Naim took the old formula as far as it could and needed a new direction to survive. What they supposed to do? Sell the same stuff to dying off old guard? There is plenty of old kit in circulation given fairly long history of the brand so if one fancy an old kit no problem there. Naim still services most of it.
Hardly anybody listens to acoustic music anymore and I know I want remote control (as much as I hate to admit it) I also know that I liked CDX player more than CDX2 (here, I said it) at time when I wasn't remotely interested in Naim "stack". Overal, l didn't think much of both compared to other good players I had. I also know that I prefer Nait3 to (somewhat compromised at the moment) Nait5 / FC2 combo and I kind of adore Nait3/CDX paring both from sonic and esthetic point of view. I must be getting old:) So that would put me in an old camp club. Also all new Naim demos at audio shows in US I heard were pretty abysmal. I didn't even consider listening to old stuff when it was current. My vintage Exposure stack I had at one time which supposed to be close to old Naim ( not really, to my ears) confirmed my opinion that the Naim route is not for me. It didn't help that I met a few Naim devotees in US and Taliban is a liberal club compared to those people :) But here I am, preaching to the choir.

Why do these anti/pro-Naim threads keep coming up and repeating themselves ad nauseam? It's tiresome and an utter waste of bandwidth.

I have no Naim in my house any longer but I can see myself buying Naim in the future when I move into my last home. Either one of their life-style units or a Naim Nait 2 or Naim Nac 12 + Nap 140 / Nap 110 (monos?).

I could easily have lived today with the Naim Nac 252 + Supercap + 2 x Nap 200s that I used in an active system with Linn Ninkas and a Linn Tunebox. I liked the sound but sold the Nac 252 + Supercap to fund a holiday for my family. My first Naim products were Naim Nac 62 + Nap 140 which I had for 20 years or more together with Mission 737R speakers and a Thorens 160 mk ii (modded). I came to PFM from the Naim forum because the Naim forum was more diverse.

I suppose Naim goes where Naim feel they must go today - lifestyle and top end. I have no problem with that.

Why do these anti/pro-Naim threads keep coming up and repeating themselves ad nauseam? It's tiresome and an utter waste of bandwidth.
Because certain people won’t accept that they were stupid enough to believe marketing and reviews over their own ears which ‘made’ them buy a product they didn’t like and all these years later they still feel ‘wronged’ so every few weeks they post a ‘therapy’ thread to make themselves feel better by slagging off the nasty company that forced them to be stupid and all the happy users of said brand as they are deluded in their eyes. HTH :D

I've been a happy Naim user for years - and have just replaced a 2010 Uniti1 with an Atom which sits under the tv in the front room and drives Shahinian Larcs - fantastic piece(s) of kit (both!). - Oh and the Uniti although screen dead is now plugged into my main system as a CD player - the only downside is that I can't use my Linn Selekt"s Organik DAC in this configuration. I A/B'd it against a 35 year old TEAC 4500 which does have optical out and preferred the Naim on line output.

There are two main reasons for this. Firstly the British have an inbuilt tendency to criticise success, especially British success. It goes across the entire spectrum of life, from sport, people and industries, nothing is sacred. Things or people that were once revered can be assured that their success will soon become a topic for national slagging off. The unsuccessful cannot resist the urge to criticise, it is as simple as that. In America, success is revered, over here it is a sin.

Secondly Naim has a following that other companies in any walk of life would give their right arm for. Naim users love their products and have very little interest in anything else and they wax lyrical about their stuff.

A small, but noisy, faction of non Naim users just criticise this idol worshipping and react in the simplest way possible, they attack the product, the company and the users (sheep) in a juvenile way. It is often that these people are the sort who keep swapping boxes of different products and seem to resent the contentment that Naim users have. Surprisingly despite this never ending tirade of slagging off, it is rare to find any Naim owner criticising other products because, quite frankly, they just do. not care. They enjoy what they got and are happy with it.

Unfortunately this will continue until another British company comes along with a brilliant Hifi system and then the haters will transfer their hate to them.

Unfortunately this will continue until another British company comes along with a brilliant Hifi system and then the haters will transfer their hate to them.
There are plenty already: Exposure, Croft, Sugden et al, all largely marginalised by the Linn/Naim mafia, which is a bit irksome.

It is often that these people are the sort who keep swapping boxes of different products and seem to resent the contentment that Naim users have. .
Wat - there's a new product thread here every time they announce something. Noone likes their boxes more surely

There are plenty already: Exposure, Croft, Sugden et al, all largely marginalised by the Linn/Naim mafia, which is a bit irksome.
Alex

Your reply, in a nutshell, is one of the reasons for all the angst connected to this subject. I cannot ever recall passing a comment on Exposure, Croft, Sugden or anyone else. If you buy any of these and enjoy them then good luck to you, carry on listening and be happy.

However why does anyone like you feel the need to comment on Naim if you prefer something else. If you just forget all about Naim, there will be no problem.

You create the problem you moan about. I can lavish praise on Naim, you can lavish praise on whatever you have got and if we can both live with that, problem over.

They do have a very effective strategy of parting one with his money ...haha
Personally, I think a stack of 2-3 Naim boxes looks the best from all points of view.
The "walla " of PSUs on two Fraims and Naim neon over the rack ? Probably, kinda too enthusiastic.
It's not easy to assemble a sensibly good sounding , satisfactory system although many people think opposite and after years of swapping boxes, cables and humiliating themselves on forums and audio shows end up not much wiser and successful when they were at the starting point.
Subscribing to a certain approach makes life simpler and often far more enjoyable.
None of you thought of setting the house full of clunkers on fire, moving to a shed ,buying receiver in attemp to go back to good Ole days when we only wanted to hear the music without splitting hair in four ?

It's quite comical (as an onlooker) , I do wonder sometimes if the 'haters' are just doing it to wind up the 'fan boys' and PR men, in which case, if either side ignored, the other would soon get bored, sometimes the best reaction is not to.

I think it is rather the trumpeting of success.
Much trumpeting and hidden jealousy like everywhere else. And Yanks just love when the successful man is prosecuted and ands up in jail. That re-affirms their believe that their "democracy" is working.
I think old "Naimees" feel slightly betrayed that their individualistic, idiosyncratic company for chosen few suddenly turned mainstream and is not so special anymore. Old Apple fans must feel the same way. Death is the only just punishment for a betrayal of revolution but those prickly businesses don't obey and keep making money and more of it. Can you believe that?

I find it quite amazing that a few Übersheep translate every Naim discussion thread as slagging off, criticize etc.
They get the chance to preach their holy message, praise themself and their ego as the only valid wording - makes it quite laughable clown'ish.

Much trumpeting and hidden jealousy like everywhere else. And Yanks just love when the successful man is prosecuted and ands up in jail. That re-affirms their believe that their "democracy" is working.
I think old "Naimees" feel slightly betrayed that their individualistic, idiosyncratic company for chosen few suddenly turned mainstream and is not so special anymore. Old Apple fans must feel the same way. Death is the only just punishment for a betrayal of revolution but those prickly businesses don't obey and keep making money and more of it. Can you believe that?

Most of that is in your imagination and you simply need to get Naim out of your head. They could be junk or the best thing since sliced bread, just worry about what you have got.

Thanks for the offer but I’m up in NE Scotland. Had high hope for the 350s because my fave classic combo was 282/300 but they didn’t hit the spot, the new 250 was very impressive, might even be on a par with the 300, wouldn’t have said it was better though.

Fair enough although my offers remains offer as I think you'll be impressed by our New Classic NAP 250 and NAP 350's :)

What a load of tosh... they're marginalised as (rightly or wrongly) they're just not as popular. There is no Linn/Naim mafia....except in your head!
Calm down. It was a light hearted comment about the Linn/Naim axis of dealers and journalists in the 80s.

advertisement

Back