advertisement

Whatever happened to Basil?

Gutted. I paid nearly four times as much for the two Schumann items separately compared with the disc set above.

And that Giulini set! Working out at thirty bob a disc.

Basil drop by with your tips more often...

Very tempted by the Karajan Bruckner box it has to be said.

I can certainly vouch for the Tokyo String Quartet Beethoven SACD box, it really is excellent even if my 3rd system Cambridge 651C struggles to read the red book layer (my Rega seems happy enough, and I've got a Cambridge 751BD in the TV rig that can play the SACD layer).

The Karajan set is nice, but not up there with the best overviews IMHO. Barenboim's Chicago is fantastic, his BPO one also very good. Haitink's is also very fine, and of course there's the incomplete EMI Celibidache, now much more reasonably priced than when I bought it. The 4th in that set is simply astonishing.

Basil is alive !!

I don't know you Basil but your reported passing mad me sad. I am genuinely delighted to find you are alive, in fact it has brightened my evening. (I know that all sounds weird)

i'll definitely be checking out the music tips!

Keep 'em coming 😃

Just bought the Schumann and listening online. I've not always agreed with all your views on classical music but a) you know your stuff b) I'm delighted you're still going strong!

advertisement

Back