• Thorens

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Vertere

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 116 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YES! Well done you!! That is indeed the one, I always struggle to remember it's name. As I recall it was quite a nice TT, certainly a massive step up from the Technics (not hard I hear you all say), and in all honesty the Xerxes was better but it wasn't what I'd call seismic difference.

Found a pic, though I didn't have that arm on it (at least I'm still convinced it had an S shape silver thing)

royce-12.jpg

Edited to add: I knew I wasn't going crazy, Linn did indeed make an S shaped arm:

Linn Basik LV-V:

linn_lvv.jpg
Looks like a Helius Scorpio tonearm, had one on my PT1.

Had that LV-V on my Ariston RD80SL, not the best arm but couldn’t afford anything better as a kid with just a Saturday job.

Good to see some on here have more than a couple to play with. Record playing is still the best fun in HiFi, I've never gotten over the wonderment of how a little needle can play music and can't imagine a day when I don't have at least 3 TT's on the go. Currently down to 14 ranging from a trigger LP12 and Reson Rota's in an office system to Yorke, JC Verdier and TW's.

Deep breath...

A
Vestax BDT-2000
Vestax MT-4000 MkII
Vestax PDT-6000
Vestax PDX-8000
Vestax PDX-A2Mk2
Vestax PDX-D3Mk2
Vestax PVT-E2
Vestax VTC-1T

I have a strange fondness for Vestax decks, as you can probably tell...
Can I please ask if any of the Vestax sound really good and which affordable one you suggest as a second hand purchase?

Can I please ask if any of the Vestax sound really good and which affordable one you suggest as a second hand purchase?
Sorry, been meaning to get back to this.

The best sounding Vestax I own is the PDX-8000. It’s a superb sounding unit but does have the short, underhung ASTS arm which scares people! If you want to stick to ‘proper’ arms then the PDT-6000 is a very close second. However, both of these are quite rare and pretty expensive,

If you’re looking for a more affordable option that sounds good, then look for a PDX-D3 Mk 1 or 2 with the s-shaped arm, or a PDT-5000. The PDX-A1 and A2 are also very good but the digitally controlled motor in the D3 is torquier and definitely a step up.

I somehow missed this thread and the poll! Clearaudio Emotion for 16 years on Tuesday, it was my 40th Birthday present. I won’t ever get rid of it but would like to try a DD at some time.

Cheers BB

Sorry, been meaning to get back to this.

The best sounding Vestax I own is the PDX-8000. It’s a superb sounding unit but does have the short, underhung ASTS arm which scares people! If you want to stick to ‘proper’ arms then the PDT-6000 is a very close second. However, both of these are quite rare and pretty expensive,

If you’re looking for a more affordable option that sounds good, then look for a PDX-D3 Mk 1 or 2 with the s-shaped arm, or a PDT-5000. The PDX-A1 and A2 are also very good but the digitally controlled motor in the D3 is torquier and definitely a step up.
Thanks - I really appreciate your time. At what point in the range do we get to SL1210 performance? Are the arms MC capable?
Sorry to be full of questions.

Think I’ve captured them all…

Kuzma reference 2

Garrard 301

Garrard 401 (2)

Thorens td124 mki

Thorens td124 mkii

Thorens td125 mkii

Thorens td321

Sansui sr929

Townshend rock elite

Technics SL10 + 310 mc

Linn LP12 (not much Linn in there)

Logic DM101 (complete restoration & upgraded)

Alphason sonata

STD305d

Systemdek (soon to go)

Pink triangle export (just arrived)

JBE series 3 slate deck

Dual 1019 (2)

AR legend (museum piece)

Telefunken s500

Also with me on loan from friends….

Lenco GL75 - future pimping project
Victor QL-Y5
Alphason sonata (museum example)
Garrard 401 (just built and installed the prism plinth on this)

advertisement

Back