• Thorens

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Vertere

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 116 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have had many over the years but never more than 3 at the same time, now I am down to one because I don't have room for more, but I am more than happy with it.

It started life as a Ace Spacedeck, but now it has the Heavy Kit, a Wave Mechanic power supply & a Hyperspace bearing. Arm is a Analog Instruments Siggwan, which is a 12 inch unipivot, in cocobolo wood but painted to match the turntable. In place at the moment is a Clearaudio Pradikat MC from the early '80's, rebuilt by David at Goldring to original specs.
gLHfmPd.jpg

Go on then : )
Deep breath...

ADC Accutrac 4000
B&O Beogram 2000 (the 1980s version)
B&O Beogram 3000 (1960s version - the one based on the Acoustical motor unit, not the Thorens TD124)
B&O Beogram 4002
B&O Beogram 5000
B&O Beogram 8002
Dual CS-5000
Garrard 201 x 3 (various BBC modified versions)
Garrard 301 with Alphason HR-100S and Audio Technica AT-OC9MLII
Garrard 401 with SME 3009 S2 Improved and Shure V15II
Garrard GTD4 (if you haven't heard of this, there's a reason - it's a shop display turntable!)
Garrard LAB80
Garrard RC-90 (in a Trixette portable record player)
Garrard RC-210 (In a Bush SRP-31 portable record player)
London Acoustical Developments GAJ 835 Mk2 twin turntable unit (in a Sound Creations disco console)
Michell Gyro SE with SME 309 and Clearaudio MC Essence
Markel Playmaster
Nakamichi Dragon CT
Nakamichi TX-1000 with SME V and Ortofon Cadenza Black
Sony PS-X9
Strathearn STM4
Thorens TD-224
Vestax BDT-2000
Vestax MT-4000 MkII
Vestax PDT-6000
Vestax PDX-8000
Vestax PDX-A2Mk2
Vestax PDX-D3Mk2
Vestax PVT-E2
Vestax VTC-1T
Yamaha GT-2000
Yamaha PF-800
Yamaha P-M77
Yamaha PX-2

I have a strange fondness for Vestax decks, as you can probably tell...

I'm also a little concerned that listing them out reveals I have 36, not 32!

I'm rather fond of Vestax gear too. I kind of miss the little Vestax mixer I had - even though it was a garish shade of see-through orange plastic...

Do all the decks live in the house? I'm struggling to visualise it!

Do all the decks live in the house? I'm struggling to visualise it!
Some do. As far as I recall, there is one in the lounge and nine in the man cave. Four are boxed in the loft and the rest are in my workshop beside the garage - quite a few are still at 'restoration' stage!

Oh, and there's one under one of the spare room beds that Mrs. B. hasn't spotted yet!

Ok -

Fons 1
Strathcylde 3
Original Rega 3 2
Original Rega 2 3
Garrard sp25 1
Pink Triangles 4
Beograms 8002/4000 6
Roksan Xerxes 1
LP12 4
Thorens 160s 4
Logic dm101 3
Townshend Rock mk1/2 3
SPJ Alba 1

Well that's over!🫨
I was starting to believe I was going to be the only person that ever owned a Roksan, let alone a Xerxes. I'm more than a little surprised at the lack of them here as it was one of the most popular "high end" TT's of the late 80's. With more than a few reviewers touting it as being significantly better than the LP12. Certainly I personaly felt it walked all over the Linn.

My TT ownership history is very short compared to many here:

1. Some DD Technics thing who's name I forget - resplendant with it's rubber mat. It was passable
2. An LP12 "clone" (or at least it was very much of that ilk) but which had a compsosite resin platter, fitted with an S shaped arm which I always thought was a Linn - but I can't seem to find evidence of now - it certainly wasn't an SME. I can't remember the name of the turntable now (Royal something?) but it was somehow associated with Cambridge - I think the platter was made by a company in Cambridge.
3. Roksan Xerxes, with SME IV. Can't recall what cart it had on it when I bought it, but it was replaced with an AT OC9 and then that was replaced with a Lyra Clavis DC

Deep breath...

ADC Accutrac 4000
B&O Beogram 3000 (1960s version - the one based on the Acoustical motor unit, not the Thorens TD124)
B&O Beogram 4002
B&O Beogram 5000
B&O Beogram 8002
Dual CS-5000
Garrard GTD4 (if you haven't heard of this, there's a reason - it's a shop display turntable!)
Garrard LAB80
London Acoustical Developments GAJ 835 Mk2 twin turntable unit (in a Sound Creations disco console)
Markel Playmaster
Nakamichi Dragon CT
Sony PS-X9
Strathearn STM4
Thorens TD-224
Vestax BDT-2000
Vestax MT-4000 MkII
Vestax PDT-6000
Vestax PDX-8000
Vestax PDX-A2Mk2
Vestax PDX-D3Mk2
Vestax PVT-E2
Vestax VTC-1T
Yamaha GT-2000
Yamaha PF-800
Yamaha P-M77
Yamaha PX-2

Well done, Sir!

I was starting to believe I was going to be the only person that ever owned a Roksan, let alone a Xerxes. I'm more than a little surprised at the lack of them here as it was one of the most popular "high end" TT's of the late 80's. With more than a few reviewers touting it as being significantly better than the LP12. Certainly I personaly felt it walked all over the Linn.

My TT ownership history is very short compared to many here:

1. Some DD Technics thing who's name I forget - resplendant with it's rubber mat. It was passable
2. An LP12 "clone" (or at least it was very much of that ilk) but which had a compsosite resin platter, fitted with an S shaped arm which I always thought was a Linn - but I can't seem to find evidence of now - it certainly wasn't an SME. I can't remember the name of the turntable now (Royal something?) but it was somehow associated with Cambridge - I think the platter was made by a company in Cambridge.
3. Roksan Xerxes, with SME IV. Can't recall what cart it had on it when I bought it, but it was replaced with an AT OC9 and then that was replaced with a Lyra Clavis DC
No you're not alone!!! Have an original Xerxes / Artemiz / OC9 iii in my second system. Xerxes 10 with (20+ upgrades) / Artemiz ref / Dyna XX2ii with reference power supply in my main system. Roksan and particularly the Xerxes seems to get battered every time it's mentioned here so tend to keep my head down and just enjoy what it does. I must go and listen to a P10 or Naia - I think I would like them and definitely interested in the Vertere MG1 at some stage - they are likely to have the characteristics I look for in vinyl playback.

Early Rega Planar 2 with the hw edging strip to the plinth, no arm but factory cut out for sme.
Michell Tecnodec and Tecnoarm.
Thorens 125/2 with Rega RB300. RB300 is an early arm, serial no.0452. Bought new and price tag still on box says £90 !.
Have had the Thorens for 50 years or so.

Deep breath...

ADC Accutrac 4000
B&O Beogram 4002
B&O Beogram 5000
B&O Beogram 8002
Dual CS-5000
Garrard LAB80
Markel Playmaster
Nakamichi Dragon CT
Sony PS-X9
Strathearn STM4
Thorens TD-224
Vestax BDT-2000
Vestax MT-4000 MkII
Vestax PDT-6000
Vestax PDX-8000
Vestax PDX-A2Mk2
Vestax PDX-D3Mk2
Vestax PVT-E2
Vestax VTC-1T
Yamaha GT-2000
Yamaha PF-800
Yamaha P-M77
Yamaha PX-2

Oh Mr Beobloke, I think you need at least 4 more! :D :cool:

No you're not alone!!! Have an original Xerxes / Artemiz / OC9 iii in my second system. Xerxes 10 with (20+ upgrades) / Artemiz ref / Dyna XX2ii with reference power supply in my main system. Roksan and particularly the Xerxes seems to get battered every time it's mentioned here so tend to keep my head down and just enjoy what it does. I must go and listen to a P10 or Naia - I think I would like them and definitely interested in the Vertere MG1 at some stage - they are likely to have the characteristics I look for in vinyl playback.
I sold my first Linn to get a Xerxes. I have an Artemiz to put on at some point - whenever I get the space.

...an LP12 "clone" (or at least it was very much of that ilk) but which had a compsosite resin platter, fitted with an S shaped arm which I always thought was a Linn - but I can't seem to find evidence of now - it certainly wasn't an SME. I can't remember the name of the turntable now (Royal something?) but it was somehow associated with Cambridge - I think the platter was made by a company in Cambridge.
Royce Spectrum?

I’d like to hear the top-level Rega just to see where they have got with their low-mass thinking since the P9 (I used to own one). That’s just curiosity though. I’m firmly in the idler camp now and really the EMT 930 or 927 is the only stop left on the journey, and even then I’d not really want to be locked-in arm-wise so it doesn’t appeal as much as one might think.

I‘m pretty sure I‘m done. I’ve owned or heard pretty much everything that interests me. There is very little original thinking in turntable design IMHO, hence my citing Rega as really no one else has done anything new this century.
I've never really got on with Regas, but I hugely enjoyed owning a WT Classic a few years ago. I live with an LP12, having owned Roksan, Avid, Pink Triangle, Vertere, Systemdek, Rega, Manticore, Thorens, Clearaudio and Dual.

I've never really got on with Regas, but I hugely enjoyed owning a WT Classic a few years ago. I live with an LP12, having owned Roksan, Avid, Pink Triangle, Vertere, Systemdek, Rega, Manticore, Thorens, Clearaudio and Dual.
Hi Paul
If you don’t mind me asking
Which clearaudio did you enjoy and what spec lp12 have you settled on
Thanks
Tony

Hi,
I haven’t listed all my decks like Adam.
No Beogram 4000 then Adam?
I see that you don’t have an LP12. Are you even British? ☺️
They are not very common this side of the Channel.

Hi,
I haven’t listed all my decks like Adam.
No Beogram 4000 then Adam?
I see that you don’t have an LP12. Are you even British? ☺️
They are not very common this side of the Channel.
No, sadly, no Beogram 4000. I have owned one, which cost me the princely sum of £4. It was mint, boxed and not working so I repaired it and foolishly sold it for about £80.

Barely a few months later Haden Boardman did his article on them in Hi-Fi World, values shot up to £500 overnight and I’ve not been able to afford one since!

As to an LP12, I genuinely would like one - a mid 80s unmolested Valhalla-equipped variant with an Ittok would be very nice. Trouble is, they also cost more than I'm willing to pay and the last one I had through my hands to sell for a family friend (which was a mint Lingo-equipped 1990s version with Ekos and Arkiv) arrived at the same time as i bought my Yamaha PF-800. To my ears, the PF-800 walked all over it, hence my reluctance to spend silly money on one!

And anyway, surely having a Garrard 201, 301 and 401 confirms my Britishness?! 😀

Royce Spectrum?
YES! Well done you!! That is indeed the one, I always struggle to remember it's name. As I recall it was quite a nice TT, certainly a massive step up from the Technics (not hard I hear you all say), and in all honesty the Xerxes was better but it wasn't what I'd call seismic difference.

Found a pic, though I didn't have that arm on it (at least I'm still convinced it had an S shape silver thing)

royce-12.jpg

Edited to add: I knew I wasn't going crazy, Linn did indeed make an S shaped arm:

Linn Basik LV-V:

IMG_1163.JPG

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom