advertisement

What (classical) are you listening to right now #2?

Interesting to see some far eastern 'classical' recommended in these columns. BUT HAVE YOU TRIED 'Yellow River Concerto' plus lots of other interesting bits and pieces for a fiver on Naxos? ('bout the only version!) Very western asnd lyrical with a tinge of Chinese, it grows on you. If piano isn't your thing, try 'Butterfly concerto' (violin) which has a few versions.Mine's with Vanessa Mae, which is pretty goodwith interesting fillers.

Live from the New York Metropolitan Opera...Verdi's Simon Boccanegra.

I was there! I don't know how it sounded on the Radio but it was pretty good in the flesh, with typical Met no-expense-spared sets looking like a large-scale Tintoretto painting. The singing was reasonable, but I think Thomas Hampson is a better looking than sounding Boccanegra these days.

This had dropped off the front page behind a thread about Roger Waters so I thought some classical playing and posting was in order.
Liszt: Etudes Gnomenreigen, Waldesrauschen, Etudes de concert

Bartok Complete String Quartets. Bought at lunch time today on the cheap. I dig. The Naxos section is about the only good thing about the Leeds HMV. All the other sections are just paying lip service and aside from the really obvious, are full of cheap nasty 4 discs for £4 compilation packs. And why the **** do they assume that anyone in the classical/jazz/"world" room wants to listen to some easy listening crooner type whilst picking out CD's? I'm also bitter the guy behind the counter didn't warn me about In Flames being crap.

Radio 3 CD review 11am Wagner's Die Walkure Reviewed by Christopher Wintle.

Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, Asher Fisch (conductor)

Bayreuth Festival Orchestra, Joseph Keilberth (conductor)

Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra, Hartmut Haenchen (conductor)

duncan,

I've not been able to attend a live concert for far too long, so I'm "Rega green" with envy!

Radio 3 CD review 11am Wagner's Die Walkure...Bayreuth Festival Orchestra, Joseph Keilberth (conductor)

Wotan's farewell: fan-bloody-tastic! This could be expensive...

I've not been able to attend a live concert for far too long, so I'm "Rega green" with envy!
:)

I'm lucky to have a wife who is extremely enthusiastic about this sort of thing: in our four days we also saw Eugene Onegin, Magic Flute, Die Meistersingers and the Marilyn Crispell trio at the Village Vanguard!

The Meistersingers is Live from the Met today, worth a listen but you will have to imagine the full Bavarian kitsch staging. Also tonight, Siegfried on BBC2. What bright spark programmed that clash?

Wotan's farewell: fan-bloody-tastic! This could be expensive...

£45.49 including postage, I'm extremely tempted!

I'm lucky to have a wife who is extremely enthusiastic about this sort of thing: in our four days we also saw Eugene Onegin, Magic Flute, Die Meistersingers and the Marilyn Crispell trio at the Village Vanguard!

The Meistersingers is Live from the Met today, worth a listen but you will have to imagine the full Bavarian kitsch staging. Also tonight, Siegfried on BBC2. What bright spark programmed that clash?

Oh that helps a lot duncan! :)

Hmm Siegfried or Meistersingers? Which one to record?

Bruckner 9th, Wand/NDR SO, Live in Lubeck Cathedral. Needs the volume up a good few notches to bring this recording to life, but its well worth scaring the neighbours for.

Just before I go in the bath, Concierto De Aranjuez from the wonderful Sketches of Spain. Principal trumpet Miles Davis, arranged and conducted by Gil Evans.

Francisco Guerrero: Zayin. Picked at random from the difficult chamber music thread. Don't think I can handle the whole thing tonight after last nights festivities, but really digging what I've heard

advertisement

Back