advertisement

What (classical) are you listening to right now #2?

Are those the LSO live recordings Joe? Two of the label's finest in my opinion (along with the Jansons Mahler 6 and the Davis Sibelius 3&3).

regards, Tam

Hi Tam, yes they are the live recordings. I heard them on a HiFi News sampler CD and went straight out and bought them!

I do hope that you have the disc. I have almost all the RCA Living Stereo CDs of Reiner's Chicago recordings, and there isn't a bad one amongst them.

Good old Friendly Fritz!

G

Yes, That is the version.
It is surprising for an early work to be so proficient, so sure, and has "plenty of ginger" to make the Hi Fi jump!

I only have the one Neeme Järvi Dvorak recording, the 3rd symphony, Carnival Overture and Symphonic Variations.

I may have to buy some more!

I do hope that you have the disc. I have almost all the RCA Living Stereo CDs of Reiner's Chicago recordings, and there isn't a bad one amongst them.

Good old Friendly Fritz!

G

Much to my shame, I don't have a single one!

Something I must attend to.

the latest SACD's are simply amazing. They are simply awesome performances. It's a shame that the RCA mastering isn't as good as the Mercury Living Stereos. They truly are a joy.

More Fritz Reiner on R3

Kabalevsky: Overture (Colas Breugnon)
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Fritz Reiner (conductor)
RCA VICTOR 09026 61958 2

Wow!

I only have the one Neeme Järvi Dvorak recording, the 3rd symphony, Carnival Overture and Symphonic Variations.

I may have to buy some more!
Tonight I played Dvorak's 1st Symphony again for the 3rd or 4th time in a week. It just gets better. Now onto Dvorak No 2 -Jaarvi ; then symphonies from other conductors finally the complete Dvorak Nine symphonies from Naxos, and a stack of Dvorak String Quartets.
The things we leave forgotten on our over crowded shelves, for years: finally realising what we have being depriving ourselves of :)

The things we leave forgotten on our over crowded shelves, for years: finally realising what we have being depriving ourselves of :)

Tell me about it, I found a recording of the American quartet by Quartetto Italiano I hadn't played for years.

The cello in the second movement is just spectacular!

More Fritz Reiner on R3

Kabalevsky: Overture (Colas Breugnon)
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Fritz Reiner (conductor)
RCA VICTOR 09026 61958 2

Wow!
If only we had the likes of Reiner, Monteux, Munch, Dorati, Walter, Szell and Ormandy and other such conductors today, recording now.... Their recordings are certainly standing up, to the tests of time. They are to be, not only collected BUT treasured as documents from music's Master Craftmen. :) In comparsion; the recordings of the newer "superficial flash -Harry type" conductors: now being peddled as "star performances" today, pale into insignificence in most cases.

Tell me about it, I found a recording of the American quartet by Quartetto Italiano I hadn't played for years.

The cello in the second movement is just spectacular!
This thread made me curious......so off I went checking my Dvorak section. Lo and behold amongst the "New Worlds' I own, there is the Fritz Reiner 'Living Stereo" version. I forgot I owned it. It is ...now playing on the CD!:D

That is such a good piece. If you like that, dig out the Shostokovich Academic Festival Overture :)

Thanks lordsummit, I think I have it.

Big admirer of DSCH.

This thread made me curious......so off I went checking my Dvorak section. Lo and behold amongst the "New Worlds' I own, there is the Fritz Reiner 'Living Stereo" version. I forgot I owned it. It is ...now playing on the CD!:D

The main reason I have no Fritz Reiner Lp's is that when I was working in the record shop, people were willing to pay silly money (and I mean Silly) for them. I'm afraid greed got the better of me.

I'm just listening to the Quartetto Italiano's recordings of the Debussy and Ravel quartets. I'm not sure that I remember them having recorded Dvorak's 'American'. Shame that it can't be had on CD.

I'm not sure that I remember them having recorded Dvorak's 'American'. Shame that it can't be had on CD.

It's possible it was never released in the UK, the copy I have (on LP) is a Philips Dutch release, the only English printed on the cover is the information about playing a stereo record. Everything else is in Dutch. The only date I can find is 1968 which is marked (p) so that only tells us the record was pressed in '68. It's coupled with Borodin's 2nd quartet.

I'm just listening to the Quartetto Italiano's recordings of the Debussy and Ravel quartets.

They are very special.

R3

Live from the New York Metropolitan Opera, Margaret Juntwait presents a performance of Verdi's Simon Boccanegra.

Simon ...... Thomas Hampson (baritone,)
Amelia ...... Angela Gheorghiu (soprano)
Fiesco ...... Ferruccio Furlanetto (bass)
Gabriele ...... Marcello Giordani (tenor)
Paolo ...... Vassily Gerello (bass)

Fabio Luisi conducts the Orchestra and Chorus of the New York Metropolitan Opera.

Seems I got my newly serviced FM4 back just in time.

Juntwait's going to have to go some to get close to the classic Abbado recording of Simon Boccanegra - one of the few Verdi operas I can listen to without a break.

advertisement

Back