advertisement

Westminster sexual harassment scandal

Is Kim Jong-un or the FSB pumping some weird gas into The Houses of Parliament do you think? Our government is an international laughingstock.

I'm no longer sure about 'Toute nation a le gouvernement quelle merite' now that we are on the receiving end of it.

The problem woth a lot of this is real sexual assault, sexual harassment or bullying is getting blurred with certain sexual or relationship preferences etc between consenting adults. The former needs dealing with to the full extent of the law, the latter is only an issue if the party in question displays rank hypocrisy (e.g. John Major’s sanctimonious ‘family values’ bullshit whilst having affair with Edwina Curry) or attempts to do it whilst on the clock/public expenses (Liam Fox Adam Werrity etc). Other than that I have no interest in affairs, sexual kinks etc, that is their private time and none of our business. The leaked Tory list very much blurs this line, but that needs to be viewed as how the party chooses to blackmail/control its MPs, i.e. the contents of the list isn’t the interesting thing here, it is how the party itself behaves.
It's worth remembering that some behaviour that might be considered harassment or demeaning to women is entirely legal. Hence the need for political parties and the HoC to have good internal processes in place to handle allegations of this nature.

It's worth remembering that some behaviour that might be considered harassment or demeaning to women is entirely legal. Hence the need for political parties and the HoC to have good internal processes in place to handle allegations of this nature.

Indeed. Most, if not all, major workplaces will have such systems in place, partly as a disincentive for such behaviour, partly as self-protection against future legal action, and partly because it's the right thing to do. The problem, AIUI, is that the House of Commons does not employ MPs, and therefore non-MPs working at the HofC as researchers, interns etc have no clear route via which their concerns can be raised. It is therefore imperative that political parties get their houses in order, rather than trying to bury complaints and/or blame the victims.

Why do people not just respect other people, regardless of gender? When you recall some advertisements in the sixties and seventies, they make you cringe.

Why do people not just respect other people, regardless of gender? When you recall some advertisements in the sixties and seventies, they make you cringe.

Are you experiencing the evangelical fervour of the converted?

Probably. I bought Polaroid sunglasses in the sixties, the better to see bikini-clad young women underwater, but age brings wisdom, as well as impotence.

Probably. I bought Polaroid sunglasses in the sixties, the better to see bikini-clad young women underwater, but age brings wisdom, as well as impotence.

just as long as it wasn't the other way round, cos impotence might well colour your views more than any polaroids.

The problem woth a lot of this is real sexual assault, sexual harassment or bullying is getting blurred with certain sexual or relationship preferences etc between consenting adults. The former needs dealing with to the full extent of the law, the latter is only an issue if the party in question displays rank hypocrisy (e.g. John Major’s sanctimonious ‘family values’ bullshit whilst having affair with Edwina Curry) or attempts to do it whilst on the clock/public expenses (Liam Fox Adam Werrity etc). Other than that I have no interest in affairs, sexual kinks etc, that is their private time and none of our business. The leaked Tory list very much blurs this line, but that needs to be viewed as how the party chooses to blackmail/control its MPs, i.e. the contents of the list isn’t the interesting thing here, it is how the party itself behaves.

Good post. At what point does 'you look good - fancy a drink later - I find you good company' become harassment.

How did they stay on your head underwater?

Possibly you don't recall the advertisement. Swimming pool, with some people around it. Girl dives into the pool clad in a bikini. The light reflected from the water prevents the guys from seeing her. However, all is not lost. The men put on their Polaroids, which cut right through the glare. When I was still able to drive, I always wore polarised glasses. They stop glare from wet roads, or just reflection generally.

Good post. At what point does 'you look good - fancy a drink later - I find you good company' become harassment.

Indeed! According to some of the more hysterical comments on the matter over the last week or two (see The Grauniad) it seems that every bloke who's ever tried a chat up line on a women is pretty much a rapist! And if you've gone as far as commenting that a lass of supermodel appearance is.. well.. "phwoar!" then you may as well have jumped out on her with a ski mask on and bundled her into the back of a van!

It's PC gone mad:D

There was an imo excellent explanation of this on R4 today, but didn't catch the guest's name.
Her answer was basically "manners", which makes perfect sense to me.

We are (mostly) attracted to other humans, and sometimes this is reciprocated.
Those not showing reasonable respect aka good manners, when involved in this timeless activity, are certainly on the trajectory to harassment imo.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom