advertisement

Walter Becker RIP

Indeed. Through the dark days of the 70s and beyond, when endless purveyors of 'rock' churned out lowest common denominator shite, SD provided something much more accomplished.

RIP

"Is there gas in the car?" I guess it ran out today. RIP Walter.

Seen Steely Dan 7x (and one solo DF show). I loved the schtick Walter did when he did Hey Nineteen for the last two shows I watched them, the Forum and Hollywood Bowl. Shame, no age at 67. Touching tribute from DF and RLJ online.

I can't exlain why I like it as other than Dan, who are obviously great, I typically detest the whole genre of slick muso-rock! It just seems so much more than that, the jazz influence shines through, and there is a dry humour to the lyrics too. It is great stuff.

I think that the difference with SD (apart from the excellence of the writing), is that the players they used were very much a means to an end, not the end itself - watch the making of Aja vid, it explains a lot about their approach.

Dont take me alive....the finest guitar intro into a song ever.

I'm pretty sure that was Larry Carlton. Great track. One of the many features of Becker and Fagan was they knew how to use and blend top musicians. The lead guitar breaks on Reeling In The Years IIRC, are the work of Elliot Randall and both tracks are wonderful examples of solos crafted to fit songs.

One of the many features of Becker and Fagan was they knew how to use and blend top musicians.

That's was the secret of their success. Walter was, at best, a very competent bassist and guitarist. His strength was his songwriting, studio skills and acerbic wit.

RIP.

so so sad. i guess we all have our time coming, but so young an age to lose such a wonderful talent and person.

Yeah superb lyric writer, had an uncanny knack of putting the listener 'there'.

His production skills for other artists was also great, three that come to mind are;-

China Crisis 'Flaunt The Imperfection'
Rosie Vela 'Zazu'
Fra Lippo Lippi 'Light & Shade'

All great sounding engineered records...

I'm pretty sure that was Larry Carlton. Great track. One of the many features of Becker and Fagan was they knew how to use and blend top musicians. The lead guitar breaks on Reeling In The Years IIRC, are the work of Elliot Randall and both tracks are wonderful examples of solos crafted to fit songs.

It was indeed the genius of Larry Carlton. He played a number of solos on the Royal Scam but later said that about two hours worth were thrown away :)

I'd forgotten how much I love the guitar solo on "Haitian Divorce" - in bits listening to it again now especially as I just read that though it's not his guitar playing but it is Walter Becker using a voice bag to create that sound throughout the record. Pure genius - it works so well with the song in every way possible

The most angriest guitar ever.... arranged by Walter and Donald.

What a sad loss to music this is.

RIP Walter.:(

Been listening to The Dan since I was 17. The string of albums from Can't buy a Thrill to Gaucho is flawless. Never seen them or really listened t much after Gaucho, which I plan to remedy.

There's no doubt that Becker was a seriously good egg, as evinced by the Steely Dan Hall of Fame page, linked below. RIP. 67 is far too young.

https://www.steelydan.com/hof.html

There's a great tribute to Walter Becker by Rickie Lee Jones in Rolling Stone. He produced her Flying Cowboys album in 1989 and she supported, and performed with, Steely Dan during their Beacon Theater residencies in New York.

The first time she heard Steely Dan was in 1970, when she was 15 years old. She dropped acid and went to a Led Zeppelin gig in Kansas City. Do It Again was on the radio during the drive there and its sound entranced her.

"What I remember more than Led Zeppelin is "Do It Again" drumming through the twilight heat, and the joy of all that Victor Feldman percussion.

"Sexy. Contained. Because what "the Dan" accomplished was this: They introduced a new idea into the musical conversation of the time. It was the idea that intelligent music was cool. In a year where drum solos lasted minutes, quarter hours even, and singers screamed – a lot. Steely Dan made it cool to be educated. It is safe to say that they are the beginning of college rock."

Rickie Lee Jones could right. Her tribute is worth reading.

Jack

Been listening to The Dan since I was 17. The string of albums from Can't buy a Thrill to Gaucho is flawless. Never seen them or really listened t much after Gaucho, which I plan to remedy.

There's no doubt that Becker was a seriously good egg, as evinced by the Steely Dan Hall of Fame page, linked below. RIP. 67 is far too young.

https://www.steelydan.com/hof.html

Some excellent cynical ranting on that link!

There's a great tribute to Walter Becker by Rickie Lee Jones in Rolling Stone. He produced her Flying Cowboys album in 1989 and she supported, and performed with, Steely Dan during their Beacon Theater residencies in New York.

The first time she heard Steely Dan was in 1970, when she was 15 years old. She dropped acid and went to a Led Zeppelin gig in Kansas City. Do It Again was on the radio during the drive there and its sound entranced her.

"What I remember more than Led Zeppelin is "Do It Again" drumming through the twilight heat, and the joy of all that Victor Feldman percussion.

"Sexy. Contained. Because what "the Dan" accomplished was this: They introduced a new idea into the musical conversation of the time. It was the idea that intelligent music was cool. In a year where drum solos lasted minutes, quarter hours even, and singers screamed – a lot. Steely Dan made it cool to be educated. It is safe to say that they are the beginning of college rock."

Rickie Lee Jones could right. Her tribute is worth reading.

Jack
It's the electric sitar break that got me on that track when I first heard it. I happened to be pretty majorly baked, too.

advertisement

Back