advertisement

Walter Becker RIP

Oh no. I played the Dan's first two albums this morning for the first time in a while, still sounded wonderful. RIP Walter.

Gutted!

I've been listening to Steely Dan for forty years - no other band has survived the evolution of my musical tastes for so long.

I guess I can stop googling "Steely Dan new album 2017" now.

RIP Walter. Your place in the rock and roll hall of fame is secure . ;)

What a shame, 67 is a young age to die. Becker recently had a procedure which left him unable to tour with Donald Fagen.

Saw Becker perform three times with Steely Dan in the '70s. The first time was at The Rainbow in May 1974 and he played bass. Jeff Skunk Baxter and Denny Dias were the guitarists. There is a great soundboard recording of it on You Tube.

Becker was an excellent instrumentalist and the Dan songs he wrote with Fagen were fantastic.

Becker had a hard life in some ways. At one point he struggled with drug addiction, his girlfriend Karen Stanley died from an overdose, and he was run over by a Manhattan cab. He also had a rough childhood, according to Fagen.

His two solo albums, 11 Tracks of Whack and Circus Money, are well worth checking out.

Weirdly enough nobody seems to have written a biography of him, although there are a few books about Steely Dan.

Jack

Oh this has deeply saddened me. Loved the Dan since I was 14. 11 Tracks is a great album and hugely underated

One of the best songwriters / bass guitarists that ever lived.

No more Dan albums. That's the worst thing. Proper Sad.

A new hole just appeared in my life.

50% of a great song writing team; sad to see him go.

67 seems like a young age to go, although I'm 63, which may be clouding my judgement :(

So sad. Soundtracked my teens, wrote a bunch of my favourite songs and signposted William Burroughs and my love of jazz. Far too young but what a recorded and cultural legacy to leave. RIP

Kevin

advertisement

Back