advertisement

Vitus vs others (CH precision, DCS….)

Mozart

pfm Member
Heard from folk that Vitus’s focus is veering away from listener fatigue whilst preserving the detail, decay and holographic soundstage and strong bass control. Has anyone direct experience of these brands and what was your take please?

Amps? Digital?

I've only ever heard a Vitus integrated (101 I think) and it was a great fun listen. I've always regretted not having the funds to buy that amp at the time - it was a secondhand bargain.
I heard some CH Precision stuff at the Munich show back in 2019 - no lasting impressions - neither negative nor positive
I"m listening to dCS as I write - no listener fatigue :) and that is with a mix of Nordost Valhalla 1 and Tyr 2 cabling

I had dCS for a while. Moved on to Accuphase, which is far more organic and natural sounding. Just about the only stuff to tear me away from Accuphase these days would be CH Precision, if I could afford it.

Do you really need all those watts/ slew rate? That said, best monster amp that I've ever heard driving my Avalons is the MF NuVista 300. That's what I'd buy.

..or maybe I'd build a Threshold Stasis 2 clone, with the new JFET front end from NP. Very likely that either option would end up costing about the same

The NuVista can easily be serviced by the original designer (John Sampson) - no connection

I’m actually more after the digital bits like transport and DAC. After a liquid DAC that doesn’t sound like majority of other DACs that seem to sound near identical.

If by "liquid" you mean something that respects the ebb and flow of music without truncating the natural decay of notes dCS, especially the Apex generation, might well fit the bill.
If you mean warm, you might like the Aesthetix Romulus/Pandora in Eclipse version - personally, I found them lacking in the fun factor for non classical music.

If by "liquid" you mean something that respects the ebb and flow of music without truncating the natural decay of notes dCS, especially the Apex generation, might well fit the bill.
If you mean warm, you might like the Aesthetix Romulus/Pandora in Eclipse version - personally, I found them lacking in the fun factor for non classical music.
Unfortunately that was not my experience with dCS Bartok. That was before Apex although I don't think that would change things fundamentally. A further issue (that might have been sorted via Apex?)was Internet radio maxed out at 320kbr. From the info you've given I would head to NOS DACs and see whether that floats your boat. A tda 1541 based DAC just makes music musical in truly natural way

Amps? Digital?

I've only ever heard a Vitus integrated (101 I think) and it was a great fun listen. I've always regretted not having the funds to buy that amp at the time - it was a secondhand bargain.
I heard some CH Precision stuff at the Munich show back in 2019 - no lasting impressions - neither negative nor positive
I"m listening to dCS as I write - no listener fatigue :) and that is with a mix of Nordost Valhalla 1 and Tyr 2 cabling
I had a 101 for while. Fantastic build but sound wise I found it pleasant enough but rather uninspiring. If anything I thought it lacked the fun factor.

I came to the conclusion with dCS (up to and including Vivaldi) that the digital side is SOTA, but the analogue output stages let the side down.

If you want the ebb and flow of music, and a natural presentation, Accuphase DACs deliver the goods for me.

The biggest change in the Apex upgrade was to the analogue output stages, with only a few other layout changes on the digital side I believe.
Haven't heard Accuphase DACs but I experience no lack of musicality, flow, detail from my Rossini.

You must have miracle ears to divine the relative difference in performance, digital vs output stages, in a unit that doesn't allow you to hear them separately. I'm impressed.

The biggest change in the Apex upgrade was to the analogue output stages, with only a few other layout changes on the digital side I believe.
Haven't heard Accuphase DACs but I experience no lack of musicality, flow, detail from my Rossini.
Similar experience here (Rossini Apex + clock).

I've not heard any recent Accuphase but the integrated and CD player I heard around the turn of the century left me uninvolved in the music.

I've been using a Vitus RS-100 poweramp for a while now and think it's very good. I changed from a 300b SET as wanted more grip and slam and it's delivered, without losing that lovely organic sound a SET gives.

Recently changed my DAC to the Vitus SCD-025 MK2 and it's really really good. I've not compared to DCS or CH, but previously was using an Aqua La Scala and an Ayon CD-35 sig and the vitus is head and shoulders above them both. It's very 'analog' sounding but not warm or soft. I mainly use digital for electronic stuff, so want good bass control and dynamics and the SCD delivers all of that without sounding digital. I did find it needed a good silver AES and power cable to get the best from it, to my ears anyway.

I've been using a Vitus RS-100 poweramp for a while now and think it's very good. I changed from a 300b SET as wanted more grip and slam and it's delivered, without losing that lovely organic sound a SET gives.

Recently changed my DAC to the Vitus SCD-025 MK2 and it's really really good. I've not compared to DCS or CH, but previously was using an Aqua La Scala and an Ayon CD-35 sig and the vitus is head and shoulders above them both. It's very 'analog' sounding but not warm or soft. I mainly use digital for electronic stuff, so want good bass control and dynamics and the SCD delivers all of that without sounding digital. I did find it needed a good silver AES and power cable to get the best from it, to my ears anyway.
I totally agree.

I went from a Naim CDX to a Linn Akurate DS 2011 streamer. Both were sounding much flatter then my Linn LP12, so I started looking for something better. Then had a Linn Klimax DS Catalyst for 1 week and didn't liked it at all: very unnatural en weird sounding. Then listen to Naim NDX2 and DCS Bartok: the Naim sounded bloated and I had the Bartok at home for 2 weeks, but even then I still preferred the LP12.

Looked further and heard the Vitus RD-102 and the SCD-025 MK2: The latter is now playing for 4 years and I allmost do not use my LP12 anymore. It has a very analogue sound, very rich, lots of air, deep soundstage, Colourful, beautiful inner detail and decay. Compared to the Rd-102, the SCD-025 handles the energy in the music better, the Rd-102 sounds more bulkier and less controlled.

I also use a Vitus SIA-025 and Ansuz C2 cables: no more listening fatigue :)

It has a very analogue sound, very rich, lots of air, deep soundstage, Colourful, beautiful inner detail and decay.

I also use a Vitus SIA-025 :)
You do have synergy there; not to be dismissed in comparisons. Vitus stuff is understandably good, but I wonder how 'organic' etc. your CDP would sound compared to a good valved CDP (Lector, ARC, Rega etc.).Whereas my previous Meridians were very even-handed, my 4 box (and previous 2 box) Lector is akin to analogue and better than top Sony and Wadia players compared in my system.

advertisement

Back