advertisement

Ukraine V

The West has been amazingly complacent about this, China has a massive manufacturing capability, good at automation which it can sell to Russia and Russians are good engineers, it’s the corruption that holds them back. When word comes down that corruption won’t be tolerated to the extent it has been then that is a huge productivity boost.

I find it terribly sad that the malignant dwarf in the Kremlin looks as if he's going to win. Retaking all the lost territory was always a big ask, but I'd hoped that they could at least hold on to what they had, but it appears not. They have been well and truly been sold down the river by their
"friends", whereas the malignant dwarf's friends havbe been generous with help. What lessons does the world draw from this with regard to the reliability of the west? If Trump gets back in, he'll offer the Baltics to Putin on a plate, and indeed anything else he wants.

Putain should never have been allowed to take Crimea based on what "the free world" knows. Goodness knows which side is closer to "Good" I just hope we avoid "two suns in the sunset." All of "our" politicians appear to be utterly corrupt and useless.
We really don't deserve this planet. Such a pity we seem hell bent on it's destruction.

Putain should never have been allowed to take Crimea based on what "the free world" knows. Goodness knows which side is closer to "Good" I just hope we avoid "two suns in the sunset." All of "our" politicians appear to be utterly corrupt and useless.
We really don't deserve this planet. Such a pity we seem hell bent on it's destruction.
Part of the problem is that, with the fall of the Soviet Union and the capitalisation of China, the Europeans let their guard down and allowed their military capacities to atropy, so that, when Ukraine came calling, they couldn't deliver. The US can, but poor Ukraine has fallen victim to its domestic politics. Perhaps Zelenskiy should have done Trump that favour in that infamous phone call!

What lessons does the world draw from this with regard to the reliability of the west?

If nothing else, "the West" needs to increase its military industrial capacity to be on a par with China, Russia and N Korea.

What we've seen in Ukraine is that it's better to invest in large quantities of the 'basic' kit (bullets, shells, mortar bombs etc, 'dumb' bombs) than in fewer 'smart' munitions and platforms.

I find it terribly sad that the malignant dwarf in the Kremlin looks as if he's going to win. Retaking all the lost territory was always a big ask, but I'd hoped that they could at least hold on to what they had, but it appears not. They have been well and truly been sold down the river by their
"friends", whereas the malignant dwarf's friends havbe been generous with help. What lessons does the world draw from this with regard to the reliability of the west? If Trump gets back in, he'll offer the Baltics to Putin on a plate, and indeed anything else he wants.

its not over yet, but its going to take the US to finally do the right thing and European countries to wake up to the danger on their doorstep. So the odds are not looking good. With the rise of pro kremlin, far right parties across Europe, things are looking very bleak right now. A very dark future awaits us unless things can be turned around.

its not over yet, but its going to take the US to finally do the right thing and European countries to wake up to the danger on their doorstep. So the odds are not looking good. With the rise of pro kremlin, far right parties across Europe, things are looking very bleak right now. A very dark future awaits us unless things can be turned around.
The thing that baffles me is that these Central European countries spent decades under the Russians and their puppet governments. Have they so forgotten what it was like, that they are perfectly happy to cosy up to the malignant dwarf who is seeking to resurrect the whole thing? Downunder, I met Hungarians, Poles and Czechs who, without exception, absolutely loathed the Russians. One Polish girl in the Dulux labs could never simply say "Russians", it was always "bloody Russians" (well, it was in Australia). She was the only one in the labs who could read Russian, so, when the USSR State Committee for Inventions and Discoveries sent me a letter in (to me) unreadable Cyrillic, it was only with much cajoling that I could persuade her to read it for me ("Why you want to read bloody Russian, Tone?")

The thing that baffles me is that these Central European countries spent decades under the Russians and their puppet governments. Have they so forgotten what it was like, that they are perfectly happy to cosy up to the malignant dwarf who is seeking to resurrect the whole thing? Downunder, I met Hungarians, Poles and Czechs who, without exception, absolutely loathed the Russians. One Polish girl in the Dulux labs could never simply say "Russians", it was always "bloody Russians" (well, it was in Australia). She was the only one in the labs who could read Russian, so, when the USSR State Committee for Inventions and Discoveries sent me a letter in (to me) unreadable Cyrillic, it was only with much cajoling that I could persuade her to read it for me ("Why you want to read bloody Russian, Tone?")

I think the Kremlin propaganda machine has influenced large sections of the media and social media spaces, not to mention politicians in many countries. He has captured the GOP, for example. In this respect, Putin is running rings around the West and may well achieve his objectives because of this.

The West has been amazingly complacent about this, China has a massive manufacturing capability, good at automation which it can sell to Russia and Russians are good engineers, it’s the corruption that holds them back. When word comes down that corruption won’t be tolerated to the extent it has been then that is a huge productivity boost.
It's quite hard for the West to do anything about China's support though. Could it do more (e.g. about Chinese banks), yes, but the Chinese will adapt.

Quite a lot of people enjoyed living under Moscow's thumb back in the day. During the transition period, a large minority pinned for the old days. They are still around. They don't often travel internationally.

The thing that baffles me is that these Central European countries spent decades under the Russians and their puppet governments. Have they so forgotten what it was like, that they are perfectly happy to cosy up to the malignant dwarf who is seeking to resurrect the whole thing? Downunder, I met Hungarians, Poles and Czechs who, without exception, absolutely loathed the Russians.
The ones who leave are usually the ones opposed to what they left. Look at all the anti-Cuban Cubans in Florida.

Quite a lot of people enjoyed living under Moscow's thumb back in the day. During the transition period, a large minority pinned for the old days. They are still around. They don't often travel internationally.
I personally think that it was more a resigned acquiescence in things that one couldn't change. Most people aren't political or bothered about abstractions such as freedom of speech or liberty - so long as they're eating regularly and living comfortably and have the prospect of better things to come, they're content. The ones who enjoyed it were the true believers, party members and cadres. A Czech girl who worked for me left after the Prague spring. She and her husband pretended that they were going to study English in England, so they had to leave everything behind, as if they intended to return. Her brother was a true believer and Party official, and, at some risk to his own career, he visited them in England to try to persuade them to return. When they pointed out the benefits of living in England (there were some back then!), he said, "But one day we'll also have all of this - and we'll also have true communism!"

It's quite hard for the West to do anything about China's support though. Could it do more (e.g. about Chinese banks), yes, but the Chinese will adapt.
It’s not so much Chinas support that’s the problem, it’s the lack of investment in the wests arms manufacturing. They have been bitching about Germany not supplying Taurus since the war started and not upgraded SCALP/ Storm Shadow which they could have done easily in the time frame. Same with manufacture of shells, too busy lining their mates pockets than actually solving the problem.

Partially also, I suspect, out of fear of Putin and his tactical nukes, of which he has rather many. However, we have already crossed so many of his red lines that we can be reasonably sure that only an attack on Russia itself would cause him to use them. Plus, his Chinese backers would not be at all happy, and have apparently told him so in so many words. And not even Putin would so readily bite the hand that feeds him

Apart rom Hungary (which should know better, but it's Alban rather than the Magyars, I feel)), I can't think of a former eastern block country which isn't aware of the dangers of Putin and is preparing defences. Finland and Sweden were previously apathetic but that's not the case now. Moldova could be an exception, at least in part but it's a tiny country. Not sure where Romania and Bulgaria stand but doubt they are pro Putin.

On a southern European road trip in '71 my friend and I found the Czechs looking over their shoulders (less that 3 years after the revolt). The Hungarians, at least the young ones, were having a ball. Romania was like visiting a mediaeval throwback and the Bulgarians had some of the best ice cream I'd ever tasted.

Apart rom Hungary (which should know better, but it's Alban rather than the Magyars, I feel)), I can't think of a former eastern block country which isn't aware of the dangers of Putin and is preparing defences. Finland and Sweden were previously apathetic but that's not the case now. Moldova could be an exception, at least in part but it's a tiny country. Not sure where Romania and Bulgaria stand but doubt they are pro Putin.
Romania were welcoming to Ukranian refugees, not sure about Bugaria but we had a Bulgarian builder just before the invasion when nobody believed it would happen who was pro Putin and very anti Biden.

advertisement

Back