advertisement

TVC Preamps

Excellent, thanks. My feeling is unless I have missed/misunderstood some other factor that a 100k attenuator should do whatever I need. The line inputs on my Quad 34 are 100k and that works with anything (including the Croft), so I assume a 100k attenuator in front of the 1mOhm Leak will look exactly the same to the source component?

Just a quick update on this thread. I kind of abandoned the idea of a TVC or cost-no-object stepped attenuator build as I couldn't decide on a spec, but when a Vishay and Z-foil upgraded Audio Synthesis Passion popped up on eBay over the weekend (link) I grabbed it. It turned up today and it is wonderful! The PAS-02 is very good, it has been a reference point for me for years, but I've always detected a slight brightness and leanness with it, just a little glare/prominance around the upper vocal and drum kit metalwork along with a slight dryness to bass that to be honest I'd put down to passive attenuators vs. active preamps in general. On the Passion that is just not there anymore, it sounds wide open and seamless from top to bottom. This thing is seriously good! The Leak now has a life partner. It is done.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Last year I went for the super-budget option and bought one of these. It blows the passive pot I was using before out of the water.

The same seller is currently building me one with two inputs with separate volume controls so I can switch (using a relay) between Vinyl and Digital without the need to swap cables.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That looks to be a pretty interesting TVC, would love to try one against my Bent one day. The microprocessor control is a nice feature and brings the unit up to the same ease of use as most actives.

advertisement

Back