advertisement

Turntable "Feedback" at volume

Yesterday, in a big DIY shop, I saw sets of 4 round pieces of hard-ish foam rubber, about 10cm diameter, for putting under the feet of washing machines. They cost about 8 euro. Maybe they would work?

isolation of the turntable is good, except that the turntable will then have to deal with the vibrations itself! Concrete (or almost any large mass) under a turntable will not damp vibrations. How far away from the turntable are your 'speakers?

It's an interesting thread. My Lenco turntable is right next to one of my reasonably large speakers (Altecs with a 12" driver) - literally a 3cm gap - but I've never experienced feedback. I don't use any sort of isolation, the deck is just plonked on a teak sideboard. Perhaps being in a heavy plinth helps? Or perhaps I just don't play music as loud as the OP? : )

Yesterday, in a big DIY shop, I saw sets of 4 round pieces of hard-ish foam rubber, about 10cm diameter, for putting under the feet of washing machines. They cost about 8 euro. Maybe they would work?
It would depend on the frequency of the feedback, and the isolation frequency of the feet. The weight of the the TT would also affect that.

It's an interesting thread. My Lenco turntable is right next to one of my reasonably large speakers (Altecs with a 12" driver) - literally a 3cm gap - but I've never experienced feedback. I don't use any sort of isolation, the deck is just plonked on a teak sideboard. Perhaps being in a heavy plinth helps? Or perhaps I just don't play music as loud as the OP? : )
The Lenco sits on a large and heavy purpose built plinth designed for its 12 inch arm. It had been on 3 spikes and housed in a largish cupboard. The speakers are only 8 inches from the speakers. The spikes, I think, acted to link the t/t to the cabinet and this then through to the floor. Speaker vibration either through the air or through the floor I'm pretty sure caused the problem. It could well have been a certain frequency that triggered the feedback as has been suggested. Also, I bought some washing machine feet which turned out to be quite rigid and I suspect would have behaved in a similar way to the spikes. The softer (though not too soft) pipe insulation solution allows only a small amount of suspension. This appears to have done the trick.

The Lenco sits on a large and heavy purpose built plinth designed for its 12 inch arm. It had been on 3 spikes and housed in a largish cupboard. The speakers are only 8 inches from the speakers. The spikes, I think, acted to link the t/t to the cabinet and this then through to the floor. Speaker vibration either through the air or through the floor I'm pretty sure caused the problem. It could well have been a certain frequency that triggered the feedback as has been suggested. Also, I bought some washing machine feet which turned out to be quite rigid and I suspect would have behaved in a similar way to the spikes. The softer (though not too soft) pipe insulation solution allows only a small amount of suspension. This appears to have done the trick.
That sounds plausible. As Tony posted it could have just been a single frequency perhaps exacerbated by room modes. Glad it's all sorted.

advertisement

Back