advertisement

TomTom Updates

Whenever I tried a phone app for directions it invariably missed important junctions or exits on roundabouts as it gave instructions too late to be followed. I tried it on several routes that I know well and it failed each time.

I will stick with a SatNav when I need one, we also have a road atlas in the car, just in case... I prefer the overview you can get from a paper map quite useful to get the general route prior to setting out.

p.s. I use a FiiO portable player for music, much greater capacity than a phone and not reliant on a phone signal...

Call me a Luddite if you must.

Using a smartphone as a Satnav is a basic tool, it does get the job done, just. But as a true driving aid they don't come close to a proper Satnav system like the TomTom. I use my Go60 in the USA when travelling for work which I do a lot of. It is fantastic, it has a big screen, links to my phone for traffic updates and has a very sophisticated junction management system where it tells you which lane to get into and also which lane on the new road in case there is another turn quickly. Free updates for life and I can still use my phone for calls etc when driving which is important to me.

I will always want a dedicated Satnav system and will happily replace the Go 60 with another TomTom when its time comes.

I use a Garmin device - actually two of them, one with lifetime US maps and one with lifetime European maps, lifetime means I get updates for the satnavs 2 to 3 times a year. I also have a satnav in the car - I get map updates twice a year by downloading to USB drive amd then plugging the drive into the car and in about an 80 minutes the new files are copied across to the car system.

Nice thing about the car system is that if I put the address of any destinations into the calendar on the smart phone I have app on the phone that will transmit the address to the car satnav so I do not have to do an update to the car satnav. On major journeys it is worth while running the Garmin and the car satnav at the same time to show different features of the journey

My tomtom came with free 'lifetime' world maps and speed cameras. I'm quite happy with it, all the maps are on it so doesn't need data connection unlike a phone. I'll try phone app at some stage if it goes out of date,but I don't like big phones but like the big sat nat screen.

Our start 25 is no longer supported
Bought from John Lewis less than 3 years' ago.
TomTom Start 25 M GPS Navigation System, Free Lifetime UK & Republic of Ireland Maps
Product Code: 86902045

Do you think I can take it back as faulty? Doesnt update anymore, I tried before this announcement 2 or 3 weeks' ago and couldnt get it to work.

Still for sale.
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3684117 £119 @ argos

oops, people are still buying it, judging by the review dates just recently, so they should be able to get refunds.
24 January 2018
Rating 5out of 5
OINION [sic]
This item was purchased as a gift for my son after his car was broken into exact model he had stolen..
Yes, I recommend this product
24 January 2018
Rating 5out of 5
TOM TOM SAT NAV
Brilliant Sat Nat, easy to use and very accurate, would definitely recommend to anyone needing a day nav.
Yes, I recommend this product

The iPhone and in-car sat' nav' were both used alongside my TomTom (after both had bitten me in the behind previously) - my comments were based on that fact. The TomTom, all other hassles with them apart, was WAY more user-friendly.

I pumped allot of money into TomTom mobile, got fleeced when it went to Go then gave up an went to Waze- hated it at first now do not drive without it.

Tom Tom likes = Blind sat nav, are your in a traffic jam.

Waze - before and dring drive re routes some clever routes and at the moment free probably as they say on you

Best of all report police visible or hidden and also speed cameras and various alerts all for me making driving easier and informed.

Phone as a satnav is fine for occasional use or getting you unstuck plus you have free data, on a day to day basis doing 35-40k miles p/a I wouldn't swap my TomTom for anything other than a newer one.

Doing the miles I do I see about as many stand alone satnav stuck to screens as I do phones, and that includes inside the latest and greatest ****er rep mobiles

Shame - I find TomToms better than the opposition in most respects and relatively easy to keep updated (unlike my wife's Suzuki onboard system which we still haven't figured how to update)
One peculiarity I found was that I would get charged for UK map updates, but I can have Europe (including UK) updates for free.
Took me a while to fathom that one and luckily didn't go for a UK update before I realised.

I deleted the UK maps in favour of the Europe maps and that saves a lot of space.

Happily my GO60 is still on the supported list.

I take back everything. Did a system software update last week and now my GO60 will not start up, and all the published recovery routines fail to fix it.
Seems to be a known problem with no current solution.

I take back everything. Did a system software update last week and now my GO60 will not start up, and all the published recovery routines fail to fix it.

Never happens to my iPhone.

;)

If Apple did something like this, there'd be a massive outcry. How can TomTom get away with it unless it was unintentional?

What about Tom Toms that are built in to cars. Renault have some models with built in Tom Tom. Are these going to updated?
The Command in my c class Merc has integrated TomTom and it’s the worst satnav I’ve ever had. Hopeless, non-intuitive menus, and no updates in over 30 months,...even the TomTom on my phone is way better.

Waze on a decent sized phone is hard to beat IME. I certainly prefer it to my Tom Tom. It takes a while to learn to trust it, but the rerouting around traffic is particularly impressive except when it isn't, in which case you do at least get to see some nice countryside.

I bought an iPhone 7 Plus because I wanted to be able to use Waze. I use it all the time for work, it has undoubtably saved me hours of time, and has very rarely missed traffic problems.

advertisement

Back