advertisement

TomTom Updates

Vinny

pfm Member
TomTom are to stop providing software updates for numerous models of their sat’ nav’s. Having had a run-in with them before, this is no more than I’d expect – essentially no customer service, which, when there were only two players in the field and no competition from mobile ‘phones, got them by, but now………

The reason stated is that “older” models can no longer hold all of the information. Beware, some “older” models are still being sold.

What really gets my goat is that drivers do not need the huge majority of the junk information on a sat’ nav’, so why not offer downloads of road and other information directly relevant to drivers, minus the junk, as far smaller files?

I don't have a mobile phone that will provide navigation, but I have experience of one, and also the in-car sat' nav' in a Merc - both are woefully poor compared to my TomTom...........

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/

Shame - I find TomToms better than the opposition in most respects and relatively easy to keep updated (unlike my wife's Suzuki onboard system which we still haven't figured how to update)
One peculiarity I found was that I would get charged for UK map updates, but I can have Europe (including UK) updates for free.
Took me a while to fathom that one and luckily didn't go for a UK update before I realised.

I deleted the UK maps in favour of the Europe maps and that saves a lot of space.

Happily my GO60 is still on the supported list.

I have spent some while trawling through the destructions for the Merc sat' nav' and so far as I can make out, the updates are automatic, you do nowt.

That does not make the design of it anything less than totally appalling and about as un-user-friendly as I have ever found anything at all.

Love my work TomTom, sadly it stopped supporting updates quite a while ago, I need to change it as it's getting more and more out of touch. Shame.

My three year old iPhone 6 runs sat nav with either Google Maps or Waze. I've no reason to complain about either of these free apps, and would never consider buying such a dead end item as a traditional sat nav. Their days are numbered, and rightly so.

I originally picked the story up on BBC News website. The comment is made there - quite possibly it is a question of what is in the supply chain; so far as I can see from a speed-read TomTom do not say when the updates will be switched off.

My own unit is a Start 20, which will loose updates, and that is certainly still being offered for sale.

I believe that the phone app that I have experience of was using Google - awful whatever it was - confusing, very poor movement of the map as you drove, instructions imprecise and too late, all as compared to a TomTom.

Their days are numbered, and rightly so??????? So people like me who would not use an iPhone if you paid me, have to spend a fortune instead of a very few £10's!!!!
My PAYG mobile bill is less than £10 per year - I work with plenty of people who spend far more than £10 per month for nothing of any significant benefit to them or anyone else.

They reused the Start 20 name.

"When the BBC contacted TomTom, the company confirmed that there were two devices named "Start 20" and that Paula's, the newer version, would in fact receive map updates."

Their days are numbered, and rightly so??????? So people like me who would not use an iPhone if you paid me, have to spend a fortune instead of a very few £10's!!!!
My PAYG mobile bill is less than £10 per year - I work with plenty of people who spend far more than £10 per month for nothing of any significant benefit to them or anyone else.

I don't doubt that you prefer the standalone unit, but you're in a shrinking minority. Just be prepared for more disappointment and frustration.

And there's more than the iPhone available. Which, of course, let's me do dozens of things that no sat nav can. And I take it away from my car, in my pocket.

We have a volunteer run map for Garmin GPS in Malaysia and it is much better quality than Google or Apple. The phone systems are always trying to take you up a jogging track or through a gated community barrier.
The user base for the dedicated GPSs has plummeted in the last year

TomTom satnavs are simply the best navigation devices by a long long way. I update about every four years which means that I pay about £1 per week. Absolutely outrageous.

My GO 825 is on the endangered species list. I last used it as a back up for the iPhone (running Google or Apple Maps) when travelling around France & Austria 2 years ago. The maps are out of date and I baulked at paying TomTom £50 for updates, plus another £50 for traffic info (per year!) when the iPhone's maps apps do this for free.

My real moan about the TomTom was that it came with free road map updates for 3 months. I'd check it every week during the free period, with no updates needed. One day after the free period, road map updates available - £50. Well done TomTom, you lost another customer that day.

Apple's own maps app integrates really well with the calendar. Put your appointment destination time and you get live updates telling you when to leave as it monitors real time traffic conditions.

My GO 825 is on the endangered species list. I last used it as a back up for the iPhone (running Google or Apple Maps) when travelling around France & Austria 2 years ago. The maps are out of date and I baulked at paying TomTom £50 for updates, plus another £50 for traffic info (per year!) when the iPhone's maps apps do this for free.

My real moan about the TomTom was that it came with free road map updates for 3 months. I'd check it every week during the free period, with no updates needed. One day after the free period, road map updates available - £50. Well done TomTom, you lost another customer that day.

Apple's own maps app integrates really well with the calendar. Put your appointment destination time and you get live updates telling you when to leave as it monitors real time traffic conditions.

I have always selected a Tom Tom with lifetime free updates. A mid range model with no additional payments for the life of the device. As above they tend to last around 4/5 years before technology moves on. They are the best portable satnavs IMO.

What about Tom Toms that are built in to cars. Renault have some models with built in Tom Tom. Are these going to updated?

I have used my tom Tom simultaneously with Googlemaps and on another occasion Navmii.

The tomtom was no better than the googlmaps and in many respects worse as it was years out of date.

It failed to pick up several French bypasses and in one case, motorway, that Googlemaps was completely up to date with.

I won’t buy another satnav.

You have to update your sat nav or get them to stop building roads.
Can’t see the point of complaining if you haven’t updated it.

Pete

My point is that stand alone expensive devices are now no better than free mobile phone apps.

Why on earth anyone would pay £50 a year for updates you get for free on free mobile phone sat nav apps beggars belief.

They have gone the way of digital video cameras and iPods.

Totally redundant technologies.

As tomtom are clearly acknowledging.

My TomTom has a much bigger screen free updates for life and costs nothing to use.

Pete

advertisement

Back