advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raining today.

Considering it is was raining hard, I took the opportunity to check the air in my tyres and get the car washed. Even I think I have a screw loose sometimes.

Lost my spectacles yesterday. Spent 2 hours looking for them with The Wife. Couldn’t find them, so dug out an old pair. The Wife just found the spectacles under the sofa. I had taken them off because we had 2 yr old grandson over and he try’s to grab them all the time.

Still playing with my old IMF Super Compact 2 speakers. My Daughter was going to use them but I fixed her old IMF speakers with a hammer. (tapped the connector posts gently :) )

The lavatory cistern in the bathroom has started leaking. Not a hammer job, I need to find an adjustable spanner. I wish The Wife was a plumber.

i am just waiting for homeserve to fix one of them for a neighbour !

Standing in the rain with a poor old pony (aged 38, apparently.) His rear end had collapsed and he was whinnying piteously. I kept the other animals away and alerted the owner, who eventually showed up with the vet. I then made my excuses and left, as I could only see things going one way and didn’t want to be there when they did.

Bowls (and ten pin) does seem to use muscles that are otherwise dormant. I only have to do a short ten pin session for sciatica to raise its ugly head. I’m obviously doing it wrong

Ten pin is quite hard work, hurling a 16lb ball at over 30mph* takes it out of you. After one tournament in which I bowled 15 games in a day, I had to drink left handed as I couldn't hold a pint glass.

*According to the speed gun at one alley I bowled in.

Standing in the rain with a poor old pony (aged 38, apparently.) His rear end had collapsed and he was whinnying piteously. I kept the other animals away and alerted the owner, who eventually showed up with the vet. I then made my excuses and left, as I could only see things going one way and didn’t want to be there when they did.
sounds horrible , poor old thing

.... wondering why my regular email from Boots was headlining erectile dysfunction and hair loss treatments.....

3 graduation ceremonies 1100, 1400 and 1845 - read out about 300 names. Luckily I had good support to read out the other 500 or so names.

One of my colleagues and a good friend graduated with his PhD, in data analytics as applied to recruitment to a sport

Went to a local car supermarket to view a model of a Volvo I’ve been considering, a last version V60 Cross Country with the 5 cylinder diesel and AWD. Approved used from the Volvo dealer network have just hiked in price by around £3-5k, so I was looking elsewhere and this one came up local to me. Went to have a look, nice colour and interior, but missing the winter pack which I am quite keen to have, no-name rear tyres, and not even a jack or wheel brace in the toolkit, just compressor and gunk. Overall, a slightly below par spec, but the price is take it or leave it and the whole vibe of the place is a bit low rent. So I left it.

Took up a carpet ready for new one . getting ready to remove all doors for stripping , going to be interesting with no bath door and toilet door for a couple of weeks !! fortunately we have a spare toilet

homeserve came and fixed a toilet for a neighbour , making good use of them these days !

I have the B5 version of that motor. Had it since March, and its very nice. Mine has winter pack on it (and 20" alloys:D)
Yes, I remember you buying it, in fact it might have been me who first planted the idea with you. But I’m actually after the previous generation model. 3 reasons: 1) cost (budget is upper teens, not mid 30s); 2) the dash still has buttons, not all touchscreen; and 3) the laid-back, loping 5 cylinder diesel is no more, the top diesel is now a highly-blown 4-cylinder 2 litre. Yes, it’s more economical, but less characterful and a bit bland and I fancy the last hurrah of the older lump.

I've been through that more times than I care to remember - my mother bred Connemaras in the 1970s and 80s, quite successfully bar the fact that she was keener on breeding and showing them than selling them. We're at the tail end of the herd now; two went last winter, two the one before. They always choose the worst weather. I had to call the hunt to one last year, as we couldn't get a vet or the local people. They were brilliant, eventually got to us in driving rain and through roads blocked by floods. I found the pony, who I'd known for 35 odd years, lying on his side in mud, struggling to get up - he'd evidently had a stroke, so pitiful. I spent two hours holding his head up to stop the mud from streaming down his nose, as he struggled in freezing rain, drenched and bitterly cold. Always horrible, though often a relief.

.... wondering why my regular email from Boots was headlining erectile dysfunction and hair loss treatments.....

I must remember to pop myself onto their mailing list tomorrow.

Yes, I remember you buying it, in fact it might have been me who first planted the idea with you.

:)

I do miss the 6 cylinder lump from the XF-S, but not too much now having got used to the Volvo. It doesn't have the torque of the Jag, but is very nice otherwise. It was a good personal decision to move away from diesel, as I'm no longer doing the mileage to justify one.

I choose diesel as much for the driving style as for the economy. I’ve come to like the easy torque, and there are so few opportunities to extend modern cars on our busy roads that I don’t miss the revs and power of petrol. I’ll trade a little smoothness for a gruff but hefty torque delivery. For my use case, a diesel makes sense even at my very average mileage. And I still think CO2 is the bigger problem we face.

Pretty anxious today , taken on loads of caring responsibilities and now a colleague has become ill after covid , meaning potentially covering their role !! Bit shocked really as they are normally bright and bouncy and very tough

Yesterday we drove up to Farnborough from our new nest in Bridport (110 miles) to help seagull jr and his partner move house. He was determined to do it on his own but we were worried that he couldn't manage. We were right. We spent the morning packing boxes and shifting furniture on to the hired van. We then drove down to their lovely new home in the New Forest and helped them unpack the van.

We left late afternoon and decided to have a pub meal on the way home. There were lots of roadworks etc. and the satnav app gave us a guided tour of the New Forest and the area of SE Dorset. We eventually found our way to the A35 (our normal route from Farnborough). I switched the satnav app off and started to look for pubs. We found one that we had passed many times but had never visited before (usually because we passed it at 8am so it was shut). We pulled into the carpark and were impressed by the vehicles there (included a Bentley) so we decided to stop.

We had an excellent meal, sitting on the patio watching a deer grazing on the adjacent field. Fed and watered we returned to our car to drive home. Mrs seagull had volunteered to drive.

By now it was getting dark and the moon was out. The road was quiet and we made good progress. Then the horror happened. We got to a roundabout and discovered that the dual carriageway section of the A35 was closed for maintenance and we were being diverted. Now, Dorset is a beautiful county, no motorways and the ‘main’ roads are interesting, the A35 probably the best that it has. The other roads are generally single track with passing places.

I switched the satnav app back on as we did not know the alternative route. What I didn’t initially realise was that the app wasn’t picking up traffic information and it kept trying to re-direct us back onto the A35. We were initially fine as the road was running parallel with the main road and through some pretty villages with familiar names (Tolpuddle, Puddletown etc.) full of chocolate box cottages. It always took us back to the closed A35 again it then sent us off on some ever decreasing circular routes.

We were lost, very lost and we had only the Satnav app to guide us. Mrs s was driving through narrow single track roads frequently having to stop for streams of zombie drivers coming the other way also slavishly following their satnavs.

Eventually I spotted a sign for Abbottsbury. I knew there was a coast road from there to Bridport. After a couple of missed turnings we finally made it to Abbottsbury and the coast road and got home safely. The heroic Mrs seagull was knackered so we went to bed.

We awoke this morning and switched on the news to see if yesterday had actually happened only to find that Dominic Raab is one bullet away from being our next PM.

I am not sure if we are back in the real world or still in the middle of a comic horror film.

Oh, I forgot to mention the name of the pub. It’s called The World’s End.

Know the Worlds End very well, its been a favorite of mine for over 50 yrs! yes if you don't know the roads in the area especcialy the old road from Bere Regis to Dorchester and venture off it good luck you can very easyly end up where you started!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back