advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

Don't forget the proper hardware 😊

So which cruiser to get? Moving away from the Kawasaki VN900 breed as I do not like rubber band drives. I have no experience of them but always fear thw worst. And new rubber bands for these are a whopping £350 with no after market options. . So now considering a SUZUKI M/VZ/800 which has a shaft drive. Similar HP and looks. Any one here have any experience of them. The reviews seem to say they are good solid bikes. The rear drum break is a bit strange and I have not had a bike woth that on since long time. Not keen on the inverted forks. Thoughts?

So which cruiser to get? Moving away from the Kawasaki VN900 breed as I do not like rubber band drives. I have no experience of them but always fear thw worst. And new rubber bands for these are a whopping £350 with no after market options. . So now considering a SUZUKI M/VZ/800 which has a shaft drive. Similar HP and looks. Any one here have any experience of them. The reviews seem to say they are good solid bikes. The rear drum break is a bit strange and I have not had a bike woth that on since long time. Not keen on the inverted forks. Thoughts?
I'm not averse to rubber drive belts - either on the final drive or the gear-train. In terms cruisers / final drive, all of the big Harleys now have them (had for the last 30 years or more in fact). If the belts can handle the torque and power pulses of those brutes, they shouldn't struggle in any other cruisers.

I've had two bikes with shaft drive - a BMW and a Guzzi. Found them more prone to locking the back wheel under late braking and downshifting, but that's a user thing, easily worked around. Wouldn't worry about having a drum on the back as opposed to a disk - in perfect conditions a disk set up will be more powerful / resistant to fade, but in normal road use, I'd say the advantages of having an enclosed drum probably outweighs the hassle of having a calliper and disk coated with the normal road dirt that always builds up back there.

On the inverted forks, I used to worry about the chrome slider being more exposed to dirt and grit than the conventional ones - but having seem how mechanical diggers and the like all have exposed legs on their hydraulic rams, and work in some mucky conditions, I stopped fretting about it. You don't need inverted forks on a road bike really - but if a bike has them, I'd see it as a plus :)

Don't know if it is also a Vespa, but came across this machine in Sardinia earlier in the Summer:

mYA6Rxoh.jpg

You can't see it too well in the photo, but it also had a short but very fat expansion box exhaust, with a short little 'silencer' tacked on the end. When the owner started it up it crackled and rasped just like a full-blown open-class motocrosser.

I'd never actually wanted a scooter prior to that moment :)
Central engine = Lambretta I think.

. Wouldn't worry about having a drum on the back as opposed to a disk - in perfect conditions a disk set up will be more powerful / resistant to fade, but in normal road use, I'd say the advantages of having an enclosed drum probably outweighs the hassle of having a calliper and disk coated with the normal road dirt that always builds up back there.
This is my take also. A vehicle as light as a bike doesn't need disc rear brakes this side of 10/10ths on a race track. You'll never get fade. They stay clean, they don't gum up, they just work.

At 10/10ths Moto GP riders use the rear brake a considerable amount during a lap, not in the hard braking stage like above obviously!

It's really nice having a thumb brake to stabilise the bike, especially on a powerful bike prone to wheelies, to stop the front wheel coming up on a rise in the road or track (Oulton Park it comes in handy over clay hill, but that's about it, it doesn't get a look in anywhere else!).
Rear brakes are also good for squaring up a turn on a bike offroad to.
It's interesting riding a Supermoto bike, if you brake hard upright and bleed off the front brake into a turn the back end comes round because of little weight on the rear and engine braking, i'm not sure it's the fastest way round the track but is good for showing off "if" you get it right.

You can see me here... the second rider in the video demonstrating the technique perfectly ;)

At 10/10ths on a sports bike you don't even need 'em - the forward weight transfer pretty much renders them useless.

C3Ws8X5h.png

Some wannabe working on his technique..
Yeah, he'll never get the hang of it, panic braking like that, standing it on the front wheel and hanging his leg out because he's scared of the thing sliding away.

who actually is this wannabe showing off on a track day, anyway?

Yeah, he'll never get the hang of it, panic braking like that, standing it on the front wheel and hanging his leg out because he's scared of the thing sliding away.

Dunno - some lad who used to crash in practice a lot. A lot to learn..obviously :)

This is my take also. A vehicle as light as a bike doesn't need disc rear brakes this side of 10/10ths on a race track. You'll never get fade. They stay clean, they don't gum up, they just work.
Except, drums are poor with respect to control compared to disc. drum brakes can't be modulated to anything like the same degree as a disc brake can, and good riders use the rear to stablise the bike under some circumstances.

He's by far my least favorite MotoGP rider. He's undoubtedly fast, but IMHO he's a bully on the track. There's been more than one rider during his career that's called him dangerous.

Except, drums are poor with respect to control compared to disc. drum brakes can't be modulated to anything like the same degree as a disc brake can, and good riders use the rear to stablise the bike under some circumstances.
I've not ridden enough bikes to know, but never found drums hard to modulate on cars. Using the rear a little I always thought was universal, it stops the back carrying on and overtaking you if you stop the front. I always liked drums on the rear of cars because they stay clean from one year to the next and don't gum up. Obviously they aren't much cop on 100+ bhp cars or anything over a tonne, but they were the tool of choice for hatches up to 1300 cc.
He's by far my least favorite MotoGP rider. He's undoubtedly fast, but IMHO he's a bully on the track. There's been more than one rider during his career that's called him dangerous.
Who is it?

Sorry didn't realise before that you were genuinely asking who he was.

Mark Marquez - won five MotoGp world championships, and before that a 125cc and then a Moto 2 world title,

Successor to Rossi, and for me (at least) by far the bravest and most gifted GP rider of the current era. Used to crash in practice in almost every GP round establishing where the absolute limits of the bike were - and then ride the wheels off the bike in every race, rarely fall off, and usually win.

I think he's both incredibly talented and brave.

Sorry didn't realise before that you were genuinely asking who he was.

Mark Marquez - won five MotoGp world championships, and before that a 125cc and then a Moto 2 world title,

Successor to Rossi, and for me (at least) by far the bravest and most gifted GP rider of the current era. Used to crash in practice in almost every GP round establishing where the absolute limits of the bike were - and then ride the wheels off the bike in every race, rarely fall off, and usually win.

I think he's both incredibly talented and brave.
Thanks, I know Marc Marquez, I wondered if it was him but I just didn't recognise him from his number only. As you say he generally only won races at the cost of at least one wrecked bike per practice session and god knows how many injuries over the years.

Oh you absolute mofo.

I bloody adore those bikes. What's going to happen with that then?
Hopefully get to ride it at some point, that is if this bloody rain ever stops...

The attention to detail on this bike is beyond belief. Never seen anything like it. Its also taken me 10 years to find one. Can't believe how light it is!

advertisement

Back