advertisement

Thorens td160 tonearm swap

AFAIK they both use the same Stevenson geometry as the Rega, hth.
The NE could stand for Newline Engineering as that was the original company name before NAS , Nottingham Analogue Studios.

I'll have a go. Your right that it's pretty ancient. Chap I got it from has just taken it off from his dais turntable. He said early 1990 or even late 1980s. I like that as it the same vintage as my amps. Would just like to get it going again. I think a 1024 is way beyond my budget. Still we can dream. Tried to post pictures before but didn't have any success. Thanks for your advice. Mick

This is a later model
51250859502-e6f0d7c70b.jpg
Mine is earlier than that but has a brass counterweight that's not underslung. It's different to the earlier black one. Omega Point Silver it's called, I think there was one Omega Point that may have been black.

I'll have a go. Your right that it's pretty ancient. Chap I got it from has just taken it off from his dais turntable. He said early 1990 or even late 1980s. I like that as it the same vintage as my amps. Would just like to get it going again. I think a 1024 is way beyond my budget. Still we can dream. Tried to post pictures before but didn't have any success. Thanks for your advice. Mick
You're welcome, try a budget AT VM95, good little cartridge for very little outlay.
Mine is earlier than that but has a brass counterweight that's not underslung. It's different to the earlier black one. Omega Point Silver it's called, I think there was one Omega Point that may have been black.
Aye, there's probably been a good few changes over the years, the early one I owned was all black, no carbon fibre but used the brass counterweight in the underslung carrier. I did see a chrome one once too. There doesn't seem to be any real comprehensive history available.
I was told mine was a Mentor tonearm when I bought it secondhand in the late 90's.

Unipivot arm on a suspended sub chassis turntable? That’s brave!!
It was a classic combination. A Mayware on a TD160.
I found the RB300 to be uninspiring on a 160 though. I tried (the Rega had a G1042 fitted).

Your picture looks pretty like mine. One difference is that the arm lift on mine is on the other side. Of course the actual lever is the same. But we are getting closer. Mick

Hi, not able to post pictures yet but can confirm it is definitely an Omega point in black. Another question. Tha arm that operates the anti skate mechanism is elevated as the are moves to the centre of the disc. Should it have an adjustable weight or is it just naked. Thanks M

So having now discovered I have an Omega point arm, I've reassembled arm and found only one chanel from the cartridge, open circuit on left chanel.
Has any one got a spare used super OM body up for grabs as I've just bought a new stylus. At least this will give me a chance to review before committing to a higher grade cartridge. Thanks Mick

So having now discovered I have an Omega point arm, I've reassembled arm and found only one chanel from the cartridge, open circuit on left chanel.
Has any one got a spare used super OM body up for grabs as I've just bought a new stylus. At least this will give me a chance to review before committing to a higher grade cartridge. Thanks Mick
The OM body is the least likely thing to be at fault here. Have you a multimeter with which to check the tonearm wiring for continuity?

When I changed cartridges recently (AT ART9 for a Koetsu Red Sig) despite due care and attention I had only hum in the RHC. Turned out one of the headshell tags (SME IV) had gone O/C during the swap. I did have a spare set of headshell wires so after replacement sound was restored.

On another note, my PT Anni has a very wobbly suspension. As someone who enjoys a slurp of wine before/during a listening session, the thought of a Unipivot arm fills me with horror. :oops:

From 1984 to 2019 I had a Moerch UP4 unipivot tonearm on my then Thorens TD 160 "improved" - a match made in a very nice place. Highly recommended.

Hi sorry not been on the forum for a couple of days. Yes checked cartridge. Definitely open circuit on one channel.
just borrowed and fitted an ortofon 165 E. Works fine and sounds pretty good too. Will need to give it back soon. So looking for a replacement. Any opinions on a Golding E3 purple or ortofon 2m blue in an origin point arm. Mick

Any opinions on a Golding E3 purple or ortofon 2m blue in an origin point arm. Mick
The Goldring is an Audio Technica VM95e in a different dress, twice the price for the same performance. You can buy an VM95ML, nude Microline stylus, for £50 less than a Goldring E4 which is the same cartridge with a nude elliptical.

The 2M cartridges are fine but again, I think Audio Technica cartridges for the same or less money are better.

At that price point I'd buy either an Audio Technica VM95ML or a VM530EN. The latter offers more stylus options and slightly better performance but the 95ML is a very safe bet and a popular cartridge.

advertisement

Back