advertisement

Thorens td160 tonearm swap

Mikerhayward

Hi all, I'm currently running a Thorens Td160 mk 2 with a rega rb250. I'm very happy with this set up. I have however acquired an early Nottingham audio unipivot tonearm. My question is, would it be compatible with the Thorens. The NA arm weighs 450 grams. Will it overload the chassis and make it unbalanced.
Grateful for any thoughts. Thanks Mick

If I knew that I could answer my own question. Don't want to disassemble my deck just to put the rega on the scales. But I do suspect it might be lighter than the NA arm.

Hi all, I'm currently running a Thorens Td160 mk 2 with a rega rb250. I'm very happy with this set up. I have however acquired an early Nottingham audio unipivot tonearm. My question is, would it be compatible with the Thorens. The NA arm weighs 450 grams. Will it overload the chassis and make it unbalanced.
Grateful for any thoughts. Thanks Mick
As far as I'm aware you will need a new armboard Mick. The Nottingham Analogue tonearms aren't Rega fitment. It's an interesting combination though. Let us know how you go

Yes it should. So if it's compatible any views of possible sonic improvements. My rb250 has a standard counter weight and a om10 sylus. No worries about armboard. I can produce one of these. I just need to be convinced it will be worth the effort. Thanks for your replies thus far.
Mick

A uni pivot tonearm on Thoerns TD160 will work great. I have used a Roksan Nima on my TD160 Super and SQ is great. I have used a modified RB250 on the TD160 Super the Nima or Unipivot is a great tonearm on the Thorens.

In the late 90's to early 00's I did own a Thorens TD160B mk2 and used an Incognito rewired Rega RB300 tonearm which was good and then a Hadcock 242se which I preferred.
I then bought a NA Hyperspace which came with an early NA Mentor tonearm, this was the alloy tubed model, not the later or current carbon fibre tubed model.
On the Hyperspace the RB300 was OK, I then tried Roksan Tabriz Zi which I slightly preferred and would have said on a par with the NA Mentor tonearm. Having sold the Thorens I then mounted the Hadcock 242se which I preferred to any of the others, I then tried a SME iv which was most disappointing, I was expecting a massive upgrade in SQ but it just didn't deliver despite the beautiful build quality and finish, positive reviews and expense. I then bought the newly released SME M2-10 which was the first tonearm which equalled the Hadcock 242se in sound quality and very much bettered it where build quality and finish are concerned.
During this period of time I was in my mid to late 20's through to early 30's (good hearing). I tried the various tonearms with a Roksan Chorus Black (Goldring 1042) Dynavector 23D, Wilson Benesch Ply which is a (LOMC) Benz Glider mounted on Carbon Fibre platform , Shure V15v-mxr and a Lyra Argo MC
This was all done as I was very interested in different tonearm designs and finding out what was 'best' for me rather than being told by a dealer or magazine review.
I also used a Rega Planar, STD 305M, Gyrodec (AC) , Voyd Ref and Helius Cyalene tonearm and a Gyro SE (DC) with the Technoarm (first version). These turntables more or less covered the different belt drive designs available at the time with different mass, suspension and motor drives.
I would guess that both the Rega and NA will work just fine on the Thorens with a suitable cartridge (they're a decent deck IMHO) which you prefer will be down to personal preference.
I hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
Unipivot arm on a suspended sub chassis turntable? That’s brave!!
I used a NA unipivot on an LP12 for years, it sounded great. Better than an Ittok and no problems in use. Same went for a TD150 with a Mayware. That was no bother. Likewise the Aro/LP12 was always an easy match and that didn't even have an arm lift. Maybe a Hadcock might be an item to handle with care, but it would go provided you weren't getting too enthusiastic with the evening drinks. :)

Yes it should. So if it's compatible any views of possible sonic improvements. My rb250 has a standard counter weight and a om10 sylus. No worries about armboard. I can produce one of these. I just need to be convinced it will be worth the effort. Thanks for your replies thus far.
Mick
If it's a NA Omega Point you are in for a treat. They sound a LOT better than an RB250 on a Linn and better than an Ittok in my first hand experience. You will need another armboard, they have a different length to Rega, but other than that they work. Go for it, it will be really good.

I used a NA unipivot on an LP12 for years, it sounded great. Better than an Ittok and no problems in use. Same went for a TD150 with a Mayware. That was no bother. Likewise the Aro/LP12 was always an easy match and that didn't even have an arm lift. Maybe a Hadcock might be an item to handle with care, but it would go provided you weren't getting too enthusiastic with the evening drinks. :)
I wasn’t disputing the sonic match but the only time I used a unipivot on a suspended deck was when I had an upstairs listening room and you couldn’t breathe while it was playing otherwise it skipped!

I sneezed at one point and this damn near ripped the cantilever off…

I wasn’t disputing the sonic match but the only time I used a unipivot on a suspended deck was when I had an upstairs listening room and you couldn’t breathe while it was playing otherwise it skipped!

I sneezed at one point and this damn near ripped the cantilever off…
I've recently visited Dan M of this parish and given him a hand to set up his LP12 in his very nice new pad. His music room is on the first floor and the floor is suspended on some very springy joists. Martin (also of this parish) and I were suitably impressed with both the room and the gear, but you have to tiptoe around the place to stop records skipping. Dan is now shopping for a wall shelf.

Looks like all your comments suggest it worth a try. Concrete floor in listening room so no worries there. I have just measured the diameter of the vertical adjustment collar on the NA and it 30mm. So I might be able to enlarge a rega armboard which has a 22mm hole. Mind you I haven't measured the pivot to spindle distance of the two arms, but maybe ok. Next thing is to turn my attention to a suitable cartridge. Lots of different ones in previous posts. But any recommendations for an affordable and good sounding mm would be welcome. I don't want to take the om10 off the rega.
Thanks all Mick

If it's a current NA tonearm it uses the same 222mm spindle to centre mounting distance as the Rega.
Do you know which model you have?
Regarding MM cartridges, Tom Fletcher , NA's original designer used to supply a range of cartridges made by Excel Corp called the Tracer 1,2,3 and 4, all had the same body and as you went up the range better cantilever and stylus assemblies.
Both the Rega and NA unipivot are fairly low mass tonearms at around 11g effective mass and should work well with most MM cartridges available.
Perhaps stick a wanted ad in the Classifieds?
AT make a good range of affordable MM with different interchangeable stylus assemblies, Goldring are nice cartridges too, especially the 1042.

Thanks Darren. Not sure of which model I have but the arm length from pivot is about the same as the rega. Re identification the main body has N on top of an E on the main body. Anti skate mechanism is a lever connected to the main body by a nylon chord. Looks like adjustment is by adding weight to the bar. Counter weight is small solid steel center drilled circular block slid into a steel end stub of 6mm.Don't know if this helps any one to recognise it. M

Sounds from the description of the counterweight that it may be an older model, similar to the one I owned, the newer models have a delrin carrier with a brass weight , only the carrier slides onto the end stub, the weight hangs below, can you post a pic?

This is a later model
51250859502-e6f0d7c70b.jpg

advertisement

Back