advertisement

The Tenth Anniversary Wam show . March the 18th 2018

The Bristol hifi show is cheaper and a lot better.

Well, whether it is cheaper very much depends on how far away it is. As to whether Bristol is better, well it's not comparable - the Bristol show is just another commercial show. For me the Bristol show isn't cheaper and nor is it better.

It costs less than £15 to get into the Bristol show. Both shows are commercial with better products at Bristol. The respective web sites put you in the picture.

I’ve just reread my last response and it sounds as if I’m saying the Bristol show is rubbish - in fact I don’t think anything of the sort. The Bristol Show is a really good one and only the distance from where I live makes me a rare visitor. The Wam Show (traditionally quite a different thing than the forum) has always been a quite different thing though.

The Wam show was always a lot of fun but Scalford a far from ideal venue. I may well try the show in it's new home if I am in the country then.

The Wam show is an enthusiasts show with enthusiasts showing their systems. It has a small commercial element to help support the finances (I think there were 3 commercial rooms of approx 45 rooms in 2017, plus some stalls selling accessories / records). The website has a rather in your face commercial look which unfortunately detracts from the reality of the show.

The Bristol show is out and out commercial driven by a magazine and a major dealership chain.

They both have their place, but they are very very different. Personally, if I had to choose, I'd be going to the Wam show - its far more interesting.

Disclosure: I've exhibited at the Wam show for 4 years (which, of course, costs me money, but that's the thing - its for enthusiasts!)

It costs less than £15 to get into the Bristol show. Both shows are commercial with better products at Bristol. The respective web sites put you in the picture.

I thought I had a decision to make but the shows are on different weekends , so ???

I wonder if it is purely coincidental that you appear to want to discourage people from going to the Wam show.

Personally, I would strongly recommend the Wam show and, if location and time allows, the Bristol show too. However, if I had to pick just one it would be the Wam show every time.

I wonder if it is purely coincidental that you appear to want to discourage people from going to the Wam show.

Personally, I would strongly recommend the Wam show and, if location and time allows, the Bristol show too. However, if I had to pick just one it would be the Wam show every time.

It turns out he hasn't been to either show, but he did look at the pics online before giving his considered opinion ;)

Oh right - so just Trolling then - can't say I'm surprised. I have been to both shows and they are very different experiences. I don't know what the Wam show will be like this year, at it's new location, but I will certainly be giving it a chance.

As someone who reads this forum only occasionally I find the continuous criticism of this show so tedious.
I came to last year's and met some nice characters. I saw some fantastic gear and some which was just quaint. The parking, food and drink was more than adequate. I respect the guys who bother to put it on, and those who take their gear for public scrutiny.

So I read this thread to find out about this show, not where it ranks in the history of the world. So how about some heavy moderating to cut out more of the noise?

As someone who reads this forum only occasionally
....you probably don't know it isn't that sort of forum.

Regarding the WAM show, I guess the salient points are, enlarging on what you said:
It's not like any other audio show, as it is enthusiasts exhibiting their own systems (including mine, a couple of years ago, and probably again, this year). These can range from the very high end and pricey, to the home built, to the belief defyingly cheap. And quaint, which is (I hope!) an euphemism for vintage and or rare - previous shows have had various high points such as the Lodgesound reel to reel room playing studio masters on studio reel to reels, and a on another occasion all the way from Germany a pair of extremely rare and old Klangfilm Eurodyne cinema speakers the size of small garden sheds (and which sounded fantastic).

It's also a great chance to meet face to face names from off the forums. If you bring your favourite music with you, getting it played on any of the systems is as easy as asking. The best systems are IMHO easily the equal of the best at a conventional show. And of course the hard sell is absent. There is often equipment and records etc for sale, though, and there have been a couple of trade rooms with systems the last year or two too.

The other point is that the venue is changing this year, from Scalford Hall, which had masses of English country house charm, but a high proportion of rooms which were often rather smaller than the exhibitors would have liked, to a new venue, Kegworth, where larger rooms are promised. So this year is a bit of an unknown, but an even better show is the hope, of course.

Just a little heads up for those wishing to attend . If anyone plans to stay for the Saturday night party and then the aspirin led Sunday I would suggest booking a room at the Best Western which is literally one minutes walk over the road as with the current list of exhibitors and small trade presence plus admin and drunken moderators the Kegworth itself will be pretty much full up . Heres the link to the ever ranging and diverse kit that will be on display . Thanks

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yfuG_AorZj9bas/edit?ts=5a66fc00#gid=995576601

Are tickets available yet? If so any chance someone could post a link please?

I can't find it on the Wam site. I'm not a member on there either.

I’m a member, though I’ve only popped in about once a week for a lurk since the upheaval.

Haven’t seen anything about tickets, but the site’s so difficult to negotiate nowadays that I may well have missed it.

I’m a member, though I’ve only popped in about once a week for a lurk since the upheaval.

Haven’t seen anything about tickets, but the site’s so difficult to negotiate nowadays that I may well have missed it.

Thanks for letting me know, much appreciated.

advertisement

Back