advertisement

The over-hyped Eversolo DMP A6: Some Impressions

Can someone please comment on the cd ripping functionality. Ive heard it can be a bit unreliable.
Yup, I find it doesn’t pick up the album art and is a bit flakey with the meta tags.
Gone back to ripping to my laptop, copy onto a USB stick, then copy to the SSD , do it in batches.
I have dbpoweramp and JRiver on the laptop, The first is my default ripper, in FLAC.

Re filters, I also have a Wyred4Sound DAC, uses the 9038Pro.
Their default preference is Fast Linear Apodizing.

Fast linear is apparently the best filter to use by measurements as it drops off at 20khz/0dBrA with the quickest and sharpest decline (not that I can tell when I’ve buggered around with the filters in my dacs and hiby R6)
Yes indeed.. now settled on fast linear..

So just fitted the PD creative linear psu to my A6, cost £157 from Poland and took me 15 mins to fit. Instant difference. Sound stage is much bigger , I’ll leave it running for a few days and see if the reported improvement to richness in midrange and smoothness happens
May I ask how long it took to arrive, and were there any VAT and duties payable this side? Looking forward to your “review” Cheers

May I ask how long it took to arrive, and were there any VAT and duties payable this side? Looking forward to your “review” Cheers
I ordered it last weds evening and I got an email Thursday to say dispatched and arrived today, no fees no vat, the dispatch slip and invoice had been cut open so assume customs had a peek as it was held n a warehouse for a day . Deffo recommended and I’ll leave it running internet radio and evaluate at weekend.

I have a start up problem. I just installed my DMP-A6, and updated to the latest firmware 1.2.50. I'm using it as a roon endpoint, and apart from that it will be used for TV sound and the occasional CD/Blurray, etc.

It comes set to XLR/RCA outputs, I have the XLRs connected and it works fine, I must have cloth ears, I like the way it sounds.

OTOH, when I select Bal-XLR as the output, I get no sound, although the DMP-A6 is still receiving data from roon.

Do I need to reboot, or what ?

@Peter Stockwell I'm a bit of a techno numpty so bear that in mind. I've just looked at my A6 and I can see under source Bal-XLR but I cannot see that output mentioned on settings. Why not continue with XLR/RCA if you are getting sound through ok.
Now I'll ask you a quickie, how do you get Roon as an end-point?

@Peter Stockwell I'm a bit of a techno numpty so bear that in mind. I've just looked at my A6 and I can see under source Bal-XLR but I cannot see that output mentioned on settings. Why not continue with XLR/RCA if you are getting sound through ok.
Now I'll ask you a quickie, how do you get Roon as an end-point?
With respect to "no sound from Bal-XLR", I think it is possible that when you change output port, the volume resets to default start volume, which is -75dB. Since I only installed it this afternoon, I'm going to stick with what works for now.

roon end-point ? Well, once connected to your network, the Roon Core will see the DMP-A6 as a Roon Ready device. Then in Roon's audio set up, it's just a question of enabling the DMP-A6 as an audio zone. Nothing needs to be done in the DMP-A6, itself.

Edit: When switching to a new output, volume defaults to the system default. Curiously, XLR, RCA, and XLR/RCA are considered distinct “output ports”.

Last edited:
With respect to "no sound from Bal-XLR", I think it is possible that when you change output port, the volume resets to default start volume, which is -75dB. Since I only installed it this afternoon, I'm going to stick with what works for now.

roon end-point ? Well, once connected to your network, the Roon Core will see the DMP-A6 as a Roon Ready device. Then in Roon's audio set up, it's just a question of enabling the DMP-A6 as an audio zone. Nothing needs to be done in the DMP-A6, itself.
Without messing again with my A6, busy at the moment my start up volume I believe is -15dB, I had a feeling this was the factory setting, but it can most probably me amended in settings.

With respect to "no sound from Bal-XLR", I think it is possible that when you change output port, the volume resets to default start volume,

Yes you can set a strtup volume but each input can have it's own (or remember the last setting) volume level so if you set RCA to -40dB and then switch to XLR and set it to-50dB when you switch the input back to RCA it will go back to the last setting of -40dB

Without messing again with my A6, busy at the moment my start up volume I believe is -15dB, I had a feeling this was the factory setting, but it can most probably me amended in settings.
Mine is set to -75dB which is inaudible, but it seems that when a new input selected for the first time, such as optical in. The volume is set way down to -100dB. I was setting up the DMP-A6 for TV input, I thought it was broken (didn't help that I'd plug the TV optical cable into the optical output socket), but it was the volume memory setting that had me flummoxed, it goes back to the default volume setting.

How odd? You would have thought they had the same streaming board ..
It seems that, in the early days, the DMP-A6 pretended to be another model in the Zidoo range, I don't recall which, so that roon would recognise it as Roon Ready.

This really irked some on the Roon community pages. This “stealth” mode of using Roon is frowned upon, but Matrix audio (Mini-i series 4) will supply, unofficially, a firmware update via the local supplier to make those machines visible to Roon. I have no idea if Eversolo will do the same for the DMP-A8, which has HDMI arc input, which I see as a very nice to have.

I guess we all react differently, and of course have different reference points, but I am well pleased with the DMP-A6. It ticks many boxes for me, WiFi connectivity, Roon Ready, Pre-Amp function. If I had the space, I could reconnect my SL1210, to my system.

Last edited:
It seems that, in the early days, the DMP-A6 pretended to be another model in the Zidoo range

Think that is the Neo S, someone on Steve Hoffman bought one in late 22 or early 23 and was very impressed with it.

Interestingly the Neo S comes with 2x PSUs where the analogue circuit is a linear one, same design as the A8

It seems that, in the early days, the DMP-A6 pretended to be another model in the Zidoo range
I don’t think it was done intentionally I just think it was recognised as another product. My A6 showed up as something else at first and Roon did work. Must have had something in common I suppose.

advertisement

Back