advertisement

The over-hyped Eversolo DMP A6: Some Impressions

Might be worth taking @Juancho 's (or anyone else's) preference and system into account. Different strokes et cetera...
I wouldn't make too many assumptions. I also have and build an ESS9038pro DAC with valve output stage and that's not at all thin sounding

Don't quite understand your remarks re material skin. Material skin is presentational and appears on Squeezer or I assume I Peng?
Material Skin is a web based control for LMS servers accessed at
where xxx etc is the address of the server.

With my antipodes streamer Antipodes have pre customised some of the settings for Material Skin to enhance the user interface.

iPeng is an ios app that sort of does the same thing but uses an ios app to do it.

Material Skin is a web based control for LMS servers accessed at
where xxx etc is the address of the server.

With my antipodes streamer Antipodes have pre customised some of the settings for Material Skin to enhance the user interface.

iPeng is an ios app that sort of does the same thing but uses an ios app to do it.
OK. Interesting difference then as Squeezer integrates material skin.

As well as doing other things with it, I send my Eversolo through my Audial and it sounds fine. I’m glad I have it but my MacBook Pro sounds almost identical.

I bought it partly to test the ‘PCs are rubbish, any dedicated streamer sounds better’ mantra. Well, the Node sounds worse and the Eversolo about the same. I’ll probably give it to one of the kids when the time comes. It looks nice and functions well.
Which Audial Dac do you have?

It just goes to show, the old saying 'horses for courses' etc rings true.

I bought a Master Edition A6 to use with my Buchardt A700 actives as a transport only (had it at a good price) and I love it.

It replaced a SBT/Teddy Pardo power supply thats given good service for years but no question, I would never go back.

As a transport using the Buchardt's DAC's, it sounds terrific.

it arrived yesterday and ill run it today while working.. took a few mins to set up and many many options. im running it on its own then try it as a transport. When i initially set it up last night it did indeed sound thin, so tweaked some eq and its ok (only been on 15 mins). Once its warmed through ill take the eq off and have a play with the dac filters. I may look at the linear psu later if i feel its worth it as reviews show its minimal.
More to report over the coming days, but the interface is fab and it looks very nice.

Edit - update now its been on an hr, removed the bass EQ but the output is hot at 2.5v so you can adjust the gain so i can use a bit more volume control, i did wonder if this will negatively affect SQ but naim also offered this on the unti nova so ill run with it.

Can someone please comment on the cd ripping functionality. Ive heard it can be a bit unreliable.

It just goes to show, the old saying 'horses for courses' etc rings true.

I bought a Master Edition A6 to use with my Buchardt A700 actives as a transport only (had it at a good price) and I love it.

It replaced a SBT/Teddy Pardo power supply thats given good service for years but no question, I would never go back.

As a transport using the Buchardt's DAC's, it sounds terrific.
just tried it briefly via usb into my ATC Akm dac and it very good, clean and retains the meatiness of the AKM dac, nice and easy to flick between the more airy sounding ESS dac in the A6 and the 'naim like' sound of the Akm dac

I have three machines with ESS Dac chips. One might say the Eversolo is airy or thin depending on your pov. The others are not thin. Implementation is far more important than the chip.

I have three machines with ESS Dac chips. One might say the Eversolo is airy or thin depending on your pov. The others are not thin. Implementation is far more important than the chip.
Totally agree. I build DACs with the ESS9038pro chip and valve output stages. There's absolutely nothing inherently thin about the chip

Worth noting that you can switch digital filters.
One of the slow roll-off filters (can't remember which) starts rolling down, albeit very gradually) well into the audible HF range and does give a slightly warmer presentation. Subtle but its there. Then again all these dac differences are very subtle.

Worth noting that you can switch digital filters.
One of the slow roll-off filters (can't remember which) starts rolling down, albeit very gradually) well into the audible HF range and does give a slightly warmer presentation. Subtle but its there. Then again all these dac differences are very subtle.
yeah im using a linear hybrid fast roll off, whatever that means as its slightly warmer.. ive also ordered a linear supply from PD Creative in poland (his bluesound node psu's are well rated and only worked out at £155) and has a bigger transformer and supposedly quieter than the beatecnik version

Fast linear is apparently the best filter to use by measurements as it drops off at 20khz/0dBrA with the quickest and sharpest decline (not that I can tell when I’ve buggered around with the filters in my dacs and hiby R6)

advertisement

Back