advertisement

The longest most boring song?

Well, I think this thread risks turning into an opportunity for people to slag off artists they don't like, which would be a shame.

Just to nudge it in a different direction, hopefully, I'll propose 'Six Pianos' by Steve Reich.

Please don't misunderstand, I think this piece is stunning, and mesmerising. The opposite of boring, in that sense at least, but when you analyse it, it's 20 minutes of six pianos all doing slightly different versions of very similar musical figures, over and over and over and over and over again. I highly recommend it!

Sorry, could not resist to do a threadcrap. One of the longest, but anything else than boring songs (?) is Sister Ray by the Velvet Underground. It deserves all of its 17 minutes. I just listened to it and had to come back to this thread. Great! I much prefer their second LP to their first.

Led Zep have been mentioned a few times. Allman Brothers are an interesting one, I have a couple of their records, really like their debut. However, they have influenced every dreary pub blues band going.
Yes, LZ have been mentioned. But not for the live recordings with extensive guitar an drum solos I have been referring to. They have been mentioned for relatively short studio tracks, that were boring per se.
And where I live there are no pub blues bands, not to speak of ones influenced by the Allman Brothers. So I do not know about that. TBH I cannot really relate to their debut, I much prefer their Fillmore live recordings. One of the very few bands that really shone with long guitar jams and drum solos.

Yes, LZ have been mentioned. But not for the live recordings with extensive guitar an drum solos I have been referring to. They have been mentioned for relatively short studio tracks, that were boring per se.
And where I live there are no pub blues bands, not to speak of ones influenced by the Allman Brothers. So I do not know about that. TBH I cannot really relate to their debut, I much prefer their Fillmore live recordings. One of the very few bands that really shone with long guitar jams and drum solos.
I am not the biggest fan of Filmore but can see it’s appeal.

vsnch34v6u0b1.jpg

@Paraheadache Thankfully I can't put a name to it, but sure it's elbow's 'best', on the airwaves the most.

It has -seven- moronic strings notes, going der ner ner ner ner ner ner.. repeating, for around half an hour. And then to add unadulterated abject misery, a bearded dope then -repeats- the same moronic notes in a beige baritone.

Snow Patrol is an excellent choice Tarzan. The words alone/ name of both these dismal bands, along with coldplay, should be 'beige warning' enough.
Coldplay's debut LP was superb- as were a couple of the earlier ones.... but after that not too sure..... :(

Coldplay's debut LP was superb- as were a couple of the earlier ones.... but after that not too sure..... :(

You're a brave man to say this Tarzan, but I do wonder if Jane has influenced you.

Pink Floyd should have an honorary mention. That dull (always long) one he played on acoustic on his boat studio in that doco, like he's chosen some masterpiece for the camera: 2 simplest of chords for most of it + dreary vox = pure boredom.

advertisement

Back