advertisement

The art of Sen

Here is a first sketch of a one-layer Buffalo II/III compatible PCB for self etching:

senbe.png

I did not double check everything, there might be still some errors.
Maybe you could give me some feedback on routing, component placement or component size. I have not much experience in designing such bigger layouts.

A few comments:

First, I would like to thank Patrick, for making this circuit public and letting us use it in the non-comercial and amateurish way that we do things.

And on the layout:

- R1 and R2 are to be mounted on the backside of the PCB, like on the original SEN-PCBs, this way I could save a little space.

- R101/102 and C101/102 are the Vref Voltage divider.

- R103/104 and C103/104 are the DAC-output filter.

- Room for gate stoppers is included

- The voltage supply can be connected on the one end of the board, like with Legato/IVY. However, from there, isolated wires would have to be soldered under the board to the supply pins across the board (V1-V4). Alternatively the voltage supplies can be connected directly to their locations across the board.

- I did not include the 20k trimpot yet. I still have to squeeze it in somehow

Here is a dropbox link to the drawings in various formats. But I could not check the .dwg format yet. I don´t have Autocad here.

Regards
Florian

Hallo Tony,

Nice to see that you´re making progress.
I think the nice thing about this is, that, once finished, you can easily test the circuit with a few 9V blocks...

I see you use SMD parts a lot.
Which brings me to this: I only included through hole spacing in my layout. Has this some drawbacks over SMD components? For example, my gate stoppers can be over 12 mm long.

I guess that with resistors it does not really matter.
However, for Civ, maybe both options (trough hole or SMD) would be good.

Florian that's looking cool you have put a lot of work in.
I have only looked quickly but will be more thorough when I get time.

Just noticed a couple of little things.
The quad assembly needs dimensioning, of course you don't have the heat sink.
I will pop a picture up latter.
Q1+Q3 move up so that the flat is 1mm from Q4+Q2
Q3+Q4 move sideways to touch Q1+Q2.
The heat sink is 16mm square.

Other comment regarding R101 and I am not quite sure of the final arrangement of course.
Perhaps an extra pad just below the lower pad. This would allow us to cut the return track and use the extra pad for a different implementation on the return for Vref.
I got to thinking the Vref return would be modulated by the Sen output current, so a dedicated Vref return may be in order.

Also an easy one, perhaps extending one the pairs of each resistor pad to allow SMT devices and some of the capacitors also as Panasonic ECHU have been recommended in places.

Not sure if the trimpot is needed with well matched fets but it is good to have it for guys with not so good quads.

I understand I am the only pinko with an evaluation board, but when its completed I will be able to offer more feedback.

I like how you have neatly marshaled the battery supplies, the routing looks nicely balanced regarding signal path lengths and the overall size looks good.

Also like the symmetrical mirror which may be handy for the dual monos for a neat split in which case an extra pair of fixing holes one each extreme side.

You picked up on the clue of maybe just using one quad per channel?

More will become clear when the our first test rigs get built

Only one negative comment - I wont be able to etch this in my coffee jar :)

Tony

Some post overlap here.

SMD are nice and cheap but can be fiddly.

I had to fit SMD gate stoppers to Patrick's board as they have no through hole option. Well actually the SMD pads could be bridged and through holes fitted remotely but I tied to show how the board was intended to be stuffed. SMD is not so bad when you have some space to work in, Patrick gate stoppers are nasty for a novice builder.

Might be wise to fit some resistor pads at 8mm also just in case lead inductance is a problem, no idea if it will be but its an easy safe guard.
Perhaps even just extending one track under the resistor and leaving the second pad for a free hand drill.

The Panasonic SMD capacitors ECHU and larger value ECPU do crop up as recommended from time to time. The ECHU do make high quality HF filters and so cheap.

Had a closer look at the quads

The quad bottom left matchs the the quad heat sink and the mirror for the other side of bottom right.

Both the quads at the top are reversed upper pair to lower pair.

The schematic looks correct in all cases.

This may not matter much but the matched sets and heat sinks are a major part of the cost and if we are to have the option of pulling a quad from the board at all I think we need to bug wire seven of the jfet connections leaving just five to go down to the board.

With just five legs soldered to the board it should be possible to remove the quads and reuse on further variations / bug fixes / modifications, although of course the jfets are gluied to the sink but that is OK.

With all twelve legs soldered to the board most guys will not be able to remove the quads.

Only having to account for five legs may help your layout perhaps.

Looking at the bottom left Vout, not checked the other corners yet.
The junction of C1, C2 / R1, R2 does not seem to connect to the -tve Vout trace.
I think you just need to join the tracethere is nothing in the way.
As it is I see Vout connected only to Civ and on to ground.

Tony

Hallo Tony,

thanks for your comments on the design.

I have some questions though (cronological order):

Other comment regarding R101 and I am not quite sure of the final arrangement of course.
Perhaps an extra pad just below the lower pad. This would allow us to cut the return track and use the extra pad for a different implementation on the return for Vref.
I got to thinking the Vref return would be modulated by the Sen output current, so a dedicated Vref return may be in order.

I am not quite sure what you mean here, although extra pads can always be included.

:) I don´t know. Did I?
I remember you writing something about it. Just for single-ended output, if I am right. Can´t it be just used like this, with only half of the parts populated?

The quad bottom left matchs the the quad heat sink and the mirror for the other side of bottom right.

I realize this, is this too confusing? I guess the gate-lage of the FET is always in the middle, so can be bent either way.

I will have a look into this. If I omit 7 of the 12 holes, maybe additional instructions are needed to bend the legs under the heatsinks correctly, to "aim" at the right spot with the connecting legs. But otherwise: more elegant, no doubt.

The junction of C1, C2 / R1, R2 does not seem to connect to the -tve Vout trace.

Your correct.
I already corrected that mistake before submitting it on sunday. I don´t know how it slipped through :confused:

I will definitely try to work in your other recommendations. Thanks again.

Today, I also pulled the trigger on a SEN evaluation kit. It is a little expensive with matched FETs, but I am a little excited about trying it myself.

I am just a little bit concerned about activating the charge cycles. Usually, I tend to forget that my hifi system is on. My hackernap, for example switches on through signal sensing, and switches off again after a few minutes silence.
I have to figure out a way to adopt this to the battery-charging circuit...

Florian, a little busy right now, have some money to earn for a change :)

Will get back with some detail soon.

Hallo Tony,
thanks for your comments on the design.
I have some questions though (cronological order):

I am not quite sure what you mean here, although extra pads can always be included.

First of I am not an expert as you know and we have not had a ply with the circuit yet.
I think the Vref needs to be very stable.
I can see were you bring in the positive end of Vref, then trough the two dividing resistors and back to the analogue ground terminal of the Sabre output. This ground line potential will be modulated 16mA DAC output signal and hence the Vref will be modulated. If modulated enough then its not going to be good.
To this end the whole Vref circuit supply may be better if fed directly from the +tve & -tve terminals of the AVCC regulator, not sharing the ground return the the Sabre current loop. So the +tve feed is fine, but the negative return from the lower dividing resistor could be better going back on a separate trace and wire to the AVCC regulator.
Even better may be taking the Vref -tve back to the Placid -tve terminal.
This is were some trials will be useful.

One dirty way to achieve this is to put an extra pad in.
I was looking at top left R101, lower end of this resistor.
If there was an extra pad at this point we would have the option of wiring the extra pad back to Vref -tve and cutting the vertical part of trace from the existing lower pad.

I may need to do a sketch.

I also have a little worry about the physical position of the Vref capacitor, maybe a more direct and ordered approach would be useful.
For example AVCC +tve & -tve wired straight to the dividing resistors, the capacitor right on the resistor at this point.
And then the traces route Vref +tve to the gate pins.
If its tricky we may be better to have a separate board for Vref, or just a dedicated area on the main board.

The Vref return current from the dividing resistors is nearly 2mA and should be exactly constant at 1/2AVCC.

The Vref return current from the gates is practically zero.

The Sabre return current could be 16mA heavily modulated by the audio signal.

I don´t know. Did I?
I remember you writing something about it. Just for single-ended output, if I am right. Can´t it be just used like this, with only half of the parts populated?

Yes I think we are talking of the same and only half the board populated.

I may well be real dirty with my evaluation board and just start of with one board, two quads, two battery packs and use it as a base point.

I realize this, is this too confusing? I guess the gate-lage of the FET is always in the middle, so can be bent either way.

No its fine you came up with a nice layout.
But if you glue up your fets and fit to the evaluation board would you then be able to pull the quads from the evaluation board and fit them to the pinky board. The fets are glued to the heat sink and partly bug wired to allow removal.
I am not quite clear in my own mind :)
Some were along the way we may / I may have to accept new fets and sinks will be needed when moving from evaluation board to pinky board.
Its a matter of trading costs against practicality of prating around with a layout forever and a day.

I will have a look into this. If I omit 7 of the 12 holes, maybe additional instructions are needed to bend the legs under the heatsinks correctly, to "aim" at the right spot with the connecting legs. But otherwise: more elegant, no doubt.

Yes I am about to solder up my bug legs, will post a picture when done.
Trying to aim for a leg in each corner and lots of space between but practically it need to be a compromise.
It is difficult to visualise, a case of needing the quad in your hand.

Probably not worth omitting pads unless you really need to pull a trick with your layout. Right now its looking doable.

I am just a little bit concerned about activating the charge cycles. Usually, I tend to forget that my hifi system is on. My hackernap, for example switches on through signal sensing, and switches off again after a few minutes silence.
I have to figure out a way to adopt this to the battery-charging circuit...

I am sure we will sort this out.
One way is easy if you lose lock when you have finished playing, just hook the Buffalo lock Led into the charging relays coil circuit.

As I use Arduino and mute the volume when finished to turn off the display back light I will also drive the charging relays.

Hope I am clear enough, I may need to do some sketches.
Tony

To this end the whole Vref circuit supply may be better if fed directly from the +tve & -tve terminals of the AVCC regulator, not sharing the ground return the the Sabre current loop. So the +tve feed is fine, but the negative return from the lower dividing resistor could be better going back on a separate trace and wire to the AVCC regulator.

Ahh, I know what you mean, now.
That´s definitely a good point. Considering the return current, it is maybe best to take both Vref-connections from the AVCC reg exclusively.

So I got my point across, I am sorry but I am neither technical or eloquent and most is just a gut feeling based on reading pinkfish.

I am pleased we both consider it a positive move.

I do not wish to be dictatorial just discuss the means to the best end

It is a pity others are not contributing, advising.
I am sure Nic and Paul will put us right should we blunder greatly but this thread is perhaps becoming a little more than a casual read.

Hi Guys

No, you're been closely watched.... ;)

To this end the whole Vref circuit supply may be better if fed directly from the +tve & -tve terminals of the AVCC regulator, not sharing the ground return the the Sabre current loop.

I installed (hard wired) the two resistors and cap, to generate the reference voltage, directly on the SEN boards, and did exactly as you propose. Your instincts are good, Grasshopper (that dates me)

Paul

Certainly watching, but you guys seem to do just fine without me complicating things:)
If I had the space, I would have put the "hole" voltage divider circuit directly on the Avcc supply and draw only the Vref wires (or traces) to the SEN. Maybe one could make a 3V5 flea supply (or similar) featuring also Avcc/2 output.... it is really only three more components. This would certainly be the most simplistic solution.
From a noise point of view it might be better to bring also the Avcc ground close to the FETs and do the Avcc/2 decoupling there. Actually, I think I would place the resistors (voltage divider, one for each channel) on the Avcc supply and the caps (decoupling, one for each phase) close to the FETs.
Probably not important anyway.
Cheers,
Nic

Some more bits on the under side.

Vref wires, grounds got used up on the top so I put the Vref ground in the ground pad of Civ.

Added Civ to the back of Riv using Panasonic ECHU SMD,3.3nF 50V 2%
RS414 7254

Its a 1206 size so quite large and fits between the Riv pads nicely.

Also added a pair of Panasonic ECPU SMT ECPU 16Vdc 1uF, even bigger at 1210. These are in parallel with the main main caps, Nichicon ES bipolar 470uF 16V
RS727 0376

255.jpg

259.jpg

256.jpg

Fitted all wires on the top of the board.
Red / black two pairs for battery supply.
Brown / green outputs left channel.
Blue / green outputs right channel.
Orange / yellow inputs left channel.
White / yellow inputs right channel.
And on the bottom
Orange / yellow Vref left channel.
White / yellow Vref right channel.

I have 150R metal film 1% for Riv

All wires on turned pin sockets.

260.jpg

Some more shots

255-1.jpg

256-1.jpg

259-1.jpg

260-1.jpg

Vref, just 2 x 1K metal film 1% and a Nichicon ES bipolar 220uF 16V

264.jpg

Quad, legs folder for bug wiring

261.jpg

And soldered

262.jpg

Ooh, looks interesting!

I read the original paper in Linear Audio and EUVL's circuit is a very elegant idea. I'm look forward to reading more here :)

Hi Martin, not often you popup here.
This is what got me interested in Linear Audio, most over my head but I am hooked now.

Yes this looks very interesting and deceptively simple, course at first I thought it was real simple, the clever stuff is hidden away from novices like me :)

About ready for battery charging and pre hookup checks.

Its taken me about a month to work out why the battery supply symmetry is skewed by the 681K AND 470K divider, duh.
I do get there in the end though.

advertisement

Back